Sugar - Good and Bad

Options
JDthe3rd
JDthe3rd Posts: 16 Member
If I'm going over my sugar "limit" for the day, but all or the majority of it is coming from fruits and fat free milk, is that ok or do I need to stay under the sugar limit no matter what?

Replies

• hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    as long as it isn't processed sugar and from processed food, I would say it's okay. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Fructose (fruit sugar) and Lactose (milk sugar) are not as bad as sucrose or alcohol sugars. The added sugars are nutritionally void of any good stuff.

Fruit and dairy are good in moderation.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There's no real answer but I do try and stay under about 60g for EVERYTHING and under 30 for crap stuff. So my 17g sugar apple I'm enjoying right now is high, but that plus the pineapple I had as part of my lunch isn't putting me "over". Moderation is key - do a quick "subtraction" at the end of your day to make sure you are low on added sugar/milk sugar.
  • ms99pepper
    Options
    i think in general you don't want to go crazy over the limit you've calculated for yourself.. BUT our body metabolizes sugar in fruit differently than it does with sugar in processed foods or refined sugar.
    If you eat even a few pieces of fruit a day its almost impossible to stay within your daily limit. i just try to stick to foods that are fresh. you can't really go wrong there.

Also side note: be careful with low fat stuff, because that’s when more sugar is added. When the fat is taken out of something it tends to be replaced with sugar for taste purposes.