Easier crockpot clean up

Options
I can't find any of the crockpot liners where I live, so what else is there that I can do to make less mess in the crockpot?

Are the liners similar to oven bags? Is it safe to put these in the crock? Or can I use the tinfoil oven trays perhaps?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just spray with cooking spray. If something still gets stuck on just soak in hot water and soap overnight, it should wipe right out. The bags just seem so wasteful to me.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Or believe it or not you can use an old dryer sheet to scrub it out, works really well! :)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Crock pot bags, wish I could buy them by the case full! They are amazing!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I use the crockpot bags when I am feeling lazy. If you can't find them where you live, I can't see why you couldn't line your crockpot with tinfoil. I line my non stick cookie sheets and baking dishes if I know there is going to be a real mess. I do spray the tin foil with cooking spray first.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Just spray with cooking spray. If something still gets stuck on just soak in hot water and soap overnight, it should wipe right out. The bags just seem so wasteful to me.

^^^
    This. Never heard of the bags before....
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've found the best solution is just to fill it partway (usually about half to three-quarters) with soapy water and run it on low for a bit (mine takes maybe 20 minutes, but it probably depends on your model) until it's warmed up. The burnt-on stuff usually just wipes right off.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of bags either, but if I have something really stuck that even overnight soaking won't fix, the dryer sheet trick works like a charm. Just clean it really well after, obviously, lol.
    I always do a quick spray of pam, and almost never have an issue cleaning it though.
  • cookies999
    Options
    Thanks - will try just spraying it then. Making a cheesy dish for the first time in it and a bit worried. Sauces and stews often stick in my crock pot, and it even browns sausages, so maybe its a bit hotter than a normal one - ended up getting a cheapy after my much loved expensive one died.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    The crockpot liner bags are great! They are usually located with the foil and plastic wrap in grocery stores near me.
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi
    I spray my crock pot that does help, If you live close to a walmart they have crock pot liners . I think they are back by the aluminum foil or freezer bags, that kind of stuff. they come in a box that has 3 in them.
  • cookies999
    Options
    Nope - they don't ship the liners here either so will have to make do without them :(
  • littledeak
    littledeak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Due to chemicals in tinfoil I would not use it in the crock pot. However parchment paper is a dream!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

^^^
    This. Never heard of the bags before....

This.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the liners... not sure if I'd trust something like that, actually. Whenever I make too much of a mess and soap isn't doing the trick, I let it soak in hot water and vinegar for a few hours.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    baking soda and hot water seems to clean up ANY mess I've had in my crockpot. Really not a fan of the liners just because I don't know what's in them. Just a soak with warm water lifts most stuff from the pot..
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Check online, I bet you could order them by the case that way.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just put mine in the dishwasher and it does all the hard work for me :drinker:
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've found the best solution is just to fill it partway (usually about half to three-quarters) with soapy water and run it on low for a bit (mine takes maybe 20 minutes, but it probably depends on your model) until it's warmed up. The burnt-on stuff usually just wipes right off.

What a great idea!
  • Blunderguff
    Options
    Soon as my food is done cooking, I take it out and rinse my crockpot. Wipes right up