Is having surgery to lose weight hard work?

Options

Replies

• mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone has really answered the OP.........I have read through it all and I guess I still want to know......It seems like with surgery and non-surgery you have to monitor what you eat and work out........Then I ask again.......What is the added benefit of the surgery. For all of the people in here that have had it done what did the surgery do for you that you could not have physically done without the surgery. Not trying to offend just really trying to understand the reasons for taking this risk.

Those that qualify for this surgery get to a point where “normal weight/activity” just seems out of reach. I felt like I was always on a diet and would lose 50-70lbs, but still be morbidly obese - talk about discouraging. I always told myself that if I could get to a “normal” weight, I could maintain the loss and stay healthy.

All people who are morbidly obese aren’t just fat and lazy and have no regard for what he/she is eating. Everyone has to deal with his/her own reasons, or triggers for getting to that point. It was my own responsibility for being at that point in my health, and finding the right solution to address the problem. The “added benefit for the surgery” is the restricted intake that you don’t have. By limiting the amount of food that someone can humanly consume (at least early on) the result will be weight loss. Simple as that. I don’t feel that physically or emotionally I could have ever lost 150 pounds on my own. The surgery provided the added benefit of restriction for me.

I think I adequately answered both of your questions. Thanks, for the opportunity.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had lab band surgery June 2009. After 2 years, I was almost to my goal. I have now lost 77pounds and weigh 128 pounds. I feel better than I have felt in the last 25 years. I go to the gym 5-7 days a week and have been counting my calories on MFP for one and a half years. Previous to surgery, I had gone to WW and lost 55 pounds but gained it back. Continuing to go to WW did not help to lose it. I also am on medication for a thyroid problem. What did surgery do for me? It initially limited the amount of food that I could physically eat. It gave me a jump start at losing weight. I needed this to build my confidence. After losing 30 pounds I pretty much plateaued. However, after having gone through surgery, I was determined to lose the weight. I upped the exercise and started counting calories. Slowly the weight started coming off again. As I lost more weight, I also found that I liked myself more. I had more self confidence and this gave me the encouragement that I needed to reach my goal. Many weeks would go by and I would lose .2 or .4 pounds, which can be discouraging when you see other people losing 2 pounds a week. Each person is so different, and we may need to take a different path to reach our goal. Surgery made it "easier" for me to lose weight than without it, but not necessarily easier than what others may have to do.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    My opinion; it's a cop-out, an easier way out. No different than someone taking steroids to gain muscle. Not to mention the potential life altering complications of surgery even death.

If you haven't walked a mile in someone's shoes..... You have no idea what you are talking about.

I agree! It is a personal, individual choice. Everyone has different medical conditions that may or may not merit needing this tool to help them. Skinny people who have never had weight issues look at overweight people and think we just eat too much and we are lazy. Aren't we doing the very same thing if we say bariatric surgery is a cop-out?
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Your 50% statistic is about right.
    That's so interesting. I think more people should know that when considering their options.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your 50% statistic is about right.
    That's so interesting. I think more people should know that when considering their options.

This was first-hand according to the center that I go to. I asked this question at my annual follow-up just last week. They have done more than 2,000 procedures. Not sure what the "national average" is, but this proves that not everyone is cut-out, or up for the lifetime commitment this solution can provide.
  • larsmac83
    larsmac83 Posts: 24
    Options
    For some people, gastric bypass or lap band isn't really a choice, it's a procedure that MUST be performed to save a life, just like a heart bypass or something similar. I personally haven't considered it yet, because I want to exhaust all options first, but I have known people with diabetes, high blood pressure, even severe arthritis in their knees who have had this surgery and been successful. Yes, it is hard. It requires the exact same mind-set and lifestyle changes that 'traditional' diets do, but this is typically a surgery for people who have tried all those and still can't lose. My friend's mother had such severe arthritis in her knees that the surgery was suggested to her by her doctor. She had never considered it, because she didn't want to be seen as lazy and not willing to do the work it took to get the weight off, but she had been trying to lose weight for years. Now, with the surgery, she is MUCH better off with a good bit of weight lost. She hasn't gained any back, and she isn't a rail, either. She chose to stop losing at a certain point, because she just wanted to get to a healthy weight that wasn't detrimental to her health. She pays strict attention to food and exercise, and it's becasue this surgery enabled her to do what she wasn't able to do without help before.

Those of you who say it's a cop out must not have ever been morbidly obese. It's a serious health issue, and though I'm currently choosing a different way, I support ANYONE who wants to lose weight for their health in any way they deem necessary.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had LapBand surgery. I did well and lost 50 pounds. Then we went on vacation, and I ate junk food again. Two years after surgery, I haven't been able to lose any more weight (but MFP is helping!). I still have to diet, and sweets are my downfall. But here's the biggest advantage so far -- I can't REGAIN the weight. Even when I pig out, I can't eat that much, so I haven't regained any weight. Though my lack of getting to my goal is depressing, I think the LapBand is worth it. I'd be even more depressed if I had gained back that 50 pounds. It's a tool, not a crutch.

I have been trying to lose weight my whole life, and nothing has done it. I was desperate, and surgery was my only option. Anyone who has not walked in my shoes has no way of knowing what I've been through. Someone who says "If I can do it, anyone can" has just NO clue. Every body is different.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    Understand this:

A BMI of 40 will get you on the surgery table. Any lower and the risk is too great for the reward.

There is a studied MORTALITY rate of 0.5% within 6 months of surgery in 2005-2006. This means in every 1000 people who get the surgery, 5 are guaranteed to DIE. Or, 1 in 200. This may be less or more depending on the current medical research and post-op procedures. You *are* cutting into your body.

The long term rate of MORTALITY (basically due to continued morbid obesity) is REDUCED by 40% in patients who go through the procedure.

This is a last-step drastic measure. In medical school, all my professor tell me that surgery (esp the surgeons) is the last resort. When chemicals, physical therapy fails left and right, this is the LAST RESORT. So until you feel like you're there, DON'T go there.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Some need to have it and some want to have it. My mom had lap band and my friend has Gastric. Both are successful but it is a struggle. I am bigger than both of them were but want to do it on my own because I want the pride to say that I did it without and surgery or diet pills. It CAN be done. It may take longer but I will get there and be in better health in the long run because of it.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't use this as an excuse to pig out. If you do you have not learned anything.
    I had LapBand surgery. I did well and lost 50 pounds. Then we went on vacation, and I ate junk food again. Two years after surgery, I haven't been able to lose any more weight (but MFP is helping!). I still have to diet, and sweets are my downfall. But here's the biggest advantage so far -- I can't REGAIN the weight. Even when I pig out, I can't eat that much, so I haven't regained any weight. Though my lack of getting to my goal is depressing, I think the LapBand is worth it. I'd be even more depressed if I had gained back that 50 pounds. It's a tool, not a crutch.

I have been trying to lose weight my whole life, and nothing has done it. I was desperate, and surgery was my only option. Anyone who has not walked in my shoes has no way of knowing what I've been through. Someone who says "If I can do it, anyone can" has just NO clue. Every body is different.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone has really answered the OP.........I have read through it all and I guess I still want to know......It seems like with surgery and non-surgery you have to monitor what you eat and work out........Then I ask again.......What is the added benefit of the surgery. For all of the people in here that have had it done what did the surgery do for you that you could not have physically done without the surgery. Not trying to offend just really trying to understand the reasons for taking this risk.

I obviously can't answer for everyone, but for me it helps me feel like I'm not starving. I had gotten to a point where no matter what "diet" or "lifestyle change" I tried to implement I was just hungry and miserable all the time. Now, while I still have to work hard (watch what I eat, exercise, etc), I'm not nearly as miserable.
  • lorikneff
    Options
    i've know a couple of people that done it and they did it to save their life...it's not easy. all your meds, foods and anything you need to digest has to be liquid for a while...big adjustment.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't use this as an excuse to pig out. If you do you have not learned anything.

Is that what you take away from what I wrote? Don't you think I would stop pigging out if I could? What an insensitive thing to say.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's just a slightly different form of hard work. Surgery isn't an easy way out.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's hard work - in which case, why bother with the dangerous surgery? Why not go through the hard work to lose weight without the added factor of this dangerous, expensive (?) procedure?
  • Tana_Q
    Tana_Q Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes, having surgery to lose weight is hard work IMO. I just had my Sleeve surgery a month ago and it has changed my life already. I have to think completely differently about food and amounts. I actually have to remember to eat! The part of stomach removed during sleeve surgery is the producer of Ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Now that it is gone I am rarely ever hungry and have NO cravings for anything.

I was 330 lbs when I started this journey. I looked and felt terrible. I actually KNOW how to lose weight, it's the maintenance that gets me. The Sleeve is great for both weight loss and maintenance. I've lost 100 lbs in the past and gained it plus another 60 back. I felt like I needed this surgery to save my life,

I've also found that most naysayers have no clue about what the surgery entails or what aftercare is like. It's fine to have an opinion but please educate yourself before you trash something!
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I had VSG. I had dieted for years. One thing I have found that it has done for me is that I eat and am satisfied. On diets I was always hungry and felt deprived. I eat the least amount of food I ever have but don't feel like I am on a diet. I track my food, eat good food, and don't drink pop. I can exercise now and feel good after. I pay close attention to nutrition now because I have to. I tried. Many many times. I guess I didn't do it right because I always regained the weight. In some people's eyes I still did it wrong because I chose surgery. It's given me more discipline because I can't do something's and I know it. People have chose to dye their hair, get fake nails, and tan in a booth. We get one go around in life. I chose VSG. I got tired of banging my head against the wall always getting the same results. Now it's like I've moved to a completely different place and had to learn street smarts all over again when it comes to eating and living. I've lost 100 pounds. I've had to learn how to eat again and be part of this new club. I've had to change how I shop too. All my stores that I used to go to no longer have clothes for me. When you're heavy for so long, it's not just about the food after surgery.
  • kissinitallgdbye
    Options
    she said it was her lack and ability to exercise threw no fault of her own do you know how to read!!!!!!!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm close to a couple people who have had it. They both have digestive issues and one has had lots and lots of kidney stones because of it (Though losing 130 ish lbs was a wonderful thing for her). I'd much rather feel the muscle pain of working out than internal stuff that'd be going on. People also need to keep in mind that even though the weight will drop off quickly if they do what they're supposed to do, they can gain weight later just like if they lost weight the other way if they don't maintain by eating right and working out like the rest of us.