Eat This Not That / The 17 Day Diet

Options
Has anyone read "Eat This Not That" or "The 17 Day Diet?" If so, what did you think?

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have both the Cook This, Not That cookbooks--they're great!
  • kballard66
    Options
    I haven't heard of it. How does it work?
  • KRHNZKA
    KRHNZKA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the 17 day diet book, and really like it. It does take a lot of planning, and I would recommend reading it first, and waiting until you have gone grocery shopping specifically with the diet in mind, before even attempting to start. You do have to keep in mind that the diet (at least the first part) is a high-protein and low-carb cycle. It allows you to eat as much lean protein as you want (chicken, turkey, eggs, etc.), while limiting sugar and carbs. So, it doesn't always fit in with MFP, which is calorie based. I try to combine the two - limit the carbs while increasing the proteins, but still staying within my calorie limit. So I don't eat as much protein as I want, but rather small, sensible portions that won't put me over my calorie count. Also, you are supposed to eat two servings of probiotics a day. Of course, two servings of yogurt a say gets old, so you really have to explore other options for this - sauerkraut, miso, kimchi, kefir, etc., are all probiotics but a little harder to come by and maybe not for you if you're a picky eater. All in all, I'd recommend it - but it's definitely a commitment!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have the 17 Day Diet book. I used it last summer. It was good for some quick weight loss; 7 lbs in 5 days and 5 inches off my waist. But that was before I found MFP. I'd rather be able to eat almost anything I want (in moderation) than restrict myself. My advice would be to not blow $$ on a diet book, when you can get a much better education here on MFP for free. Oh...the 7 lbs I lost on 17DD...I gained them back gradually, after I lost interest in (or became bored with) the 17 day cycles. Stick with MFP. It's good to be here!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I found Eat This not That to be good for trivia but not much else.
    It's always nice to be mindful of the calories you are consuming, but meh.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My doctor and a friend of mine who is a Nutritionist both said that the 17 Day Diet wasn't the healthiest way to go about losing weight so I opted not to try it. A friend of mine is doing it and while she's lost lots of weight, she's become "skinny-fat" because she's not toned and hasn't done anything for her overall cardiovascular health. Chasing the scale doesn't work.
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I tried the 17 day diet last summer and did great on the phase 1 but when I was able to introduce the carbs back in on phase 2 it was down hill from there for me.
  • Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not into fad diets, so your feedback was helpful. I'm more interested in educational books that will teach me the healthies way to prepare meals. I've been tracking my calories since October, but have seen little results, so someone recommended these two books to me. Instead of going out to purchase the books, I started measuring out my portions, drinking a ton more water and getting my 5 servings of fruits & vegs/day. I hadn't been drinking a lot of water or getting my fruits/veges each day - I'd get 1-2 servings instead of 5. I'm also making time for at least 30 min. of cardio per day now. What a difference I've seen already. But, I'd still like to educate myself on healthy choices.
  • kerry1513
    kerry1513 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the Cook This Not That book and I really like the recipes in it. It goes along with the Eat This Not That book. It is very informational and full of a lot of yummy recipes. Also, it has charts to help when you are out eating or at the grocery store so you can make wise choices. Another good book/recipe book is the 400 calorie fix. All the recipes in it are 400 calories a serving and it gives you options for pairing them with sides for all under 400 calories. Worth a look!
  • kathyhughes3
    Options
    I'm a fan of the 17 Day Diet. I started it on 6/2/2011 and by 12/2/2011 I had lost 65 pounds. Since then I've been on the maintenance phase and have lost an additional 5 lbs and am maintaining. The book taught me new healthy habits, like daily aerobic exercise, that I've stuck with and hopefully will continue for life. I recommend it, although it is a real commitment you must be faithful to. It isn't a quick fix or a fad diet underneath it's very 'fad diet' sounding name.
  • mjhartness
    mjhartness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a good book to read regarding healthy eating and strength training and cardio training, pick up a copy of Body for Life, they are all over the used book stores. Great info and there is a companion "Eating for Life" cookbook that has some really good recipes in it........