Business Clothes?? Help!

Options
I may possibly be getting an internship at the capitol of Florida and I am terrible at finding business clothes. I have one business type dress, a pair of pants, a few business type shirts and a jacket that doesn't go with anything. Where do you guys shop (preferably some place kind of cheap) to find business clothes? What kind of things are appropriate and what isn't appropriate? Does anyone wear pantyhose anymore? What else do you think I should be aware of?
I've never worked in an official office where one would have to dress up. I've had the occasional school event but I never had to buy a whole new wardrobe for that. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• prohappy
    prohappy Posts: 30
    Options
    If you're not sure about pantyhose,
    you could always just wear some straight legged slacks. :)
    Vertical pinstripes give a thinner look, and you could use a blazer or a collared shirt with it.
    I can't help you on where to buy these things though, sorry. :ohwell:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    Yeah I like the slacks and I'll probably wear those a lot but since I am going to be working there at least 3 days out of the week I would like to have some variation in my outfits.
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    hmm don't know where you are but if your close to a suzy sheir at your local mall they,ve got great clothes for business attire and very reasonable prices I'm sure the girls will be happy to help you out there make em get you what you need thats what they get paid for:flowerforyou:
    Oh and don't forget a little costume jewellery just enough to enhance or even try a scarf.
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    slacks are great try matching a different top blouse or sweater with them.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Focus on separates that can be mixed & matched. If you stick with a neutral palate you can make many outfits with little money. I hate skirts-I have issues with my legs-so I found a couple nice pair of slacks & bought 1 of each in black & gray. I then bought some tops (button-up, cardigan & cami, basic long sleeve sweater). So I basically have 4 pants & a variety of tops for all seasons. I got the tops @ Target, Mervyns, Tj Maxx & other less pricey stores.
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    You can sometimes find fabulous clothing in the consignment or thrift stores. Those are the only places I've been shopping until I get to my goal weight.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    With business clothing (well all clothing really, but especially business clothing) it's about the fit the fit the fit! It doesn't matter how expensive or cheap the item is, if it doesn't fit you well do not get it. A nicely tailored blazer and pant/skirt set will go a longgggg way. Also get blazer and pant/skirt separates to mix and match (in neutral colors: gray, black, navy). Do not go extremely cheap with those. If you have any outlets nearby I would go to those. Places like Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne aren't too bad in pricing, especially their outlets. You can afford to go cheap on any tops and accessories though for jazzing up an outfit, but the suit you're wearing matters! And there's also the matter of the shoes...get shoes that are comfortable, business appropriate, and good quality.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you have an H&M nearby? They have some pretty decent biz looks @ affordable prices.
  • CristinaMunoz
    Options
    If you have a ROSS that is the place to go........... separates are definitely good. Darker pants and nice shirts, not to short of sleeves though. a place i worked before had a sleeve requirement like it had to be to my elbow, so I would make sure they don't have a dress code as some places do. You could even find shoes at ROSS but you have to have your shopping game face on because you have to look through all the racks!!:bigsmile:
  • Sherry79
    Sherry79 Posts: 74
    Options
    If you have a Marshall's nearby that's a good place to shop for reasonable prices too. . .one of my faves along with ROSS! I agree with all the other posters on the type of things you should & should not wear. Also, be careful of wearing your skirts/dresses too short. "Most" places of business want them to at least hit right above your knee. I worked in a bank that required us to wear pantyhose but a lot of places don't. Is there anyway you could get a copy of their dress code beforehand? That may help with some of your concerns. Lots of luck to you!!:flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ask for a copy of the dress code. Business atire can vary greatly. At my work the dress code is business casual which basically means no jean, t-shirts, tanks short or sandals. I buy all my work clothes at Mark's Work Wearhouse. You can get some really good deals and the clothes are good quality. However, this is a Canadian chain only.

Another good source may actually be a thrift store. Especially for basics such as black slacks and some solid colour dress shirts.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I vote for Ross, thats where I got my dress pants at!!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would definitely clarify the dress code. I work in a professional environment... imo... panty hose, closed toe shoes... if not suits then buy a few suit jackets to mix & match... I don't always wear a collared shirt underneath though, it's just too darn hot in FL... so I have some fancy tanks that I can also mix & match.

As for shopping... I buy most of my clothes at Ross, Burlington Coat Factory & Steinmart.