Dizzyness

Options
I am a follower of South Beach Diet. I have noticed lately that I get dizzy during my workouts. I usually eat 2 boiled eggs and a cup of coffee with splenda and sugar free creamer for breakfast (6am). I get to the gym about 830 and run for 30 minutes (3 miles). I then do a kickboxing class. It is during the class that when I change positions, I get dizzy. I take a protein bar in with me so I can eat it when I do feel dizzy. Today it was really bad. I ate a banana and drank a protein drink but still was dizzy. Blood pressure was 121/76 with pulse @ 130 when I checked during class. I was feeling funny until about 4 hours after. Anyone experience this and I would appriciate suggestions on how to get this to stop.

Replies

• Ddkrause
    Ddkrause Posts: 15
    Options
    Sounds like you don't have enough fuel in your body for the workout. Maybe more protein and complex carbs?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat some carbs before working out. Like have that banana when you get to the gym.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I generally don't like to exercise once I've eaten a meal so i will often work out first thing in the morning; but I learned the hard way that not having some sugar in my system would ruin the rest of the day for me. Like you I would get dizzy and have a persistent feeling of nausea for a number of hours, regardless of what I ate or did after working out.

Consider having a half a cup of juice or sweetened soy or almond milk with your breakfast. I know sugar is the enemy with the South Beach Diet, but it seems like you are demanding quite a lot from your body, with not a whole lot to go on.
  • casamelsmom
    Options
    After trying many things, I asked one of the PT's at work. It is all stemming from my vestibular system. I did the class today with the same south beach foods and was fine as long as I kept my head up. So, I will try some exercises that the therapist gave me so I can get rid of this feeling. I guess that is another problem with being old (er)! Even though the "voices in my head" keep telling me I am only 28, my body is saying "hahaha!".
  • casamelsmom
    Options
    Ok, this is what I found out. The Vestibular therapist came in today. After speaking with her, she came to the conclusion that it is my blood pressure. She said I need to slow down when I change positions. (Something very hard for me to do!)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is what I found out. The Vestibular therapist came in today. After speaking with her, she came to the conclusion that it is my blood pressure. She said I need to slow down when I change positions. (Something very hard for me to do!)
    Slow down when changing positions...interesting.