How many calories?!

Options
How many calories should I be burning per workout? I do 15 minutes each on elliptical, bike and treadmill (with incline) and only burn around 350. I guess I could up my time on each machine but I hate spending more than an hour at the gym-I have too many things to get done at home. Is there any way to up my burn without spending oodles of time at the gym?!

Replies

• Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    swimming I think burns a ton of a calories in a short period of time, if you're constantly swimming laps.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to up my burn without spending oodles of time at the gym?!

Yes, eat less. That's the best way to create the deficit.
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Wow, thank you Kenny for that profound advice
  • coombsy87
    coombsy87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to up my burn without spending oodles of time at the gym?!

Yes, eat less. That's the best way to create the deficit.

****!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Wow, thank you Kenny for that profound advice
    Your question was vague so I gave you vague advice. Besides, it was more helpful than you may think. You are already doing a large amount of cardio (assuming you do that everyday).

And that's all aside from the fact that you don't need to count exercise expenditure anyway. But if you still feel inclined to do so, read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/normal-weight-men-and-women-overestimate-energy-expenditure-research-review.html
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    Options
    If you want to burn more calories you could up the incline, the speed, or the level on the machine you're on. Or I think on the machines they have certain settings (fat loss, cardio, etc. ). Maybe you could add weights to your excersices (like running with 2lb weights in your hands)

If you go to a gym that has a trainer you could always talk to them. They can answer any questions you have.

But just remember to not go below your BMR because you don't want a calorie deficit.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Spinning burns the most calories in the least amount of time. It is intense, but if you can do it, it is a great work-out.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    350 cals in 45 minutes is a decent burn for a woman. You could probably squeak out a lttile more by doing some HIIT. Check it out in the forums!!
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Realllly pay attention to portioning food, abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. When at the gym, up the resistance, incline, speed, etc - it will build slight muscle but in the long run this increases your metabolism, increases calories burned in shorter periods of time, and tones your body. Since you have less time at the gym, make it an all or nothing workout.
    Also, when at home try adding little workouts while doing tasks at home. For example, while waiting for the microwave to count down - do some jumping jacks. While checking up on work do calf raises. And so on... every bit helps.
  • denjoh17
    denjoh17 Posts: 18
    Options
    If you don't like being in the gym, just increase your everyday activity - make a couple of trips up the stairs, park further away in the lot, walk to the store instead of drive, etc. I love my fitbit, but I'm sure any other monitor works just fine. Like anything else, when you pay attention to it, you make it a priority.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I take a Zumba Class and/or Ujam, i am 5'2 and 118 pounds and I burn about 450 calories in 55 minutes....
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Don't count energy expenditure? And aside from an article about eating a buffet style meal after exercising, what makes you think I shouldn't count my workout? It burns calories and weight loss is all about calories in versus calories burned-I'm interested in why exactly you think workout calories are not important?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Don't count energy expenditure? And aside from an article about eating a buffet style meal after exercising, what makes you think I shouldn't count my workout? It burns calories and weight loss is all about calories in versus calories burned-I'm interested in why exactly you think workout calories are not important?
    I did not say workout calories are not important. I said you don't need to track them because it's unnecessary. And you also don't need to "eat back your exercise calories".

Yes, weight loss is about calories, but the fact is that exercise has a small effect on the rate of weight loss. Unless you're capable of literally hours upon hours of daily exercise, the "burn" you create will generally be small compared to the deficit you create through your diet. Because ultimately, in terms of weight loss, the deficit is what matters, not how many calories you burn (you can burn 1000 calories and then eat all of it back plus some more, and therefore be in a surplus).

And if you fully read the article I linked, he briefly talks about the above.

People lose weight all the time without exercise. Don't take this to mean that I think you shouldn't exercise. You should. Because your goal should not just be "lose weight", it should be to lose fat while preserving muscle mass, and exercise plays a role in calorie partitioning.

Edit: As an additional note, if the description you gave for the workout is literally all you are doing, and you are in a deficit, you are losing LBM along with fat, which I assume you do not want to do.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to want to track exercise and calories, I won't tell you that you don't have to (like some people) because that would be, you know, counter productive.

If I understand your question correctly, you don't want to increase your time at the gym, but you do want to increase the amount that you burn. Just do something more intense for an equal amount of time. It may sound over simplified, but I have no idea how intense your workouts are. Circuit training can be a good way to burn a fair bit depending on how you structure it.
    Yes, weight loss is about calories, but the fact is that exercise has a small effect on the rate of weight loss. Unless you're capable of literally hours upon hours of daily exercise, the "burn" you create will generally be small compared to the deficit you create through your diet.

This is potentially fairly ridiculous. If I eat the same amount of calories from one week to another, but I spend one of those weeks burning an extra 3000 calories (600cal/day x 5 days), then that's not a small effect. Whether the deficit comes from the energy in or energy out part of the equation makes little difference to the scale.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Cycling and running burn more, I believe.
    I burn over 400 an hour cycling, but that is with moderate effort and involves a lot of hilly roads and so is a form of interval training in itself. I find it much easier to exercise outdoors with scenery to look at and somewhere to aim for, than in a room.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm certain I'm bigger than you but I burn just shy of 1k an hour on a stationary bike at light to moderate pace.
    I agree to add inclines, weights, etc to your workout. Honestly, in some types of exercise, the longer you go, the more intensely you burn... I would wonder if stopping at 15 minutes might be counterproductive? Anyway, increasing your incline is "easy" and available on most cross training type machines, as well as interval programs. Some even let you create one for yourself.

Maybe try different exercises, or spend the entire hour on one machine for a week, and see how it compares.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Since you seem to want to track exercise and calories, I won't tell you that you don't have to (like some people) because that would be, you know, counter productive.
    Some people actually choose to look at the big picture and help someone reach their goal instead of mindlessly answering the question. It's "counter-productive" to unnecessarily over-complicate things, and tracking exercise calories and eating those calories back is, at the very least, over-complicating things.

Ironically, what's also counter-productive to her goal is the advice you give her below (note that I am assuming her goal is to lose fat while maintaining muscle mass).
    If I understand your question correctly, you don't want to increase your time at the gym, but you do want to increase the amount that you burn. Just do something more intense for an equal amount of time. It may sound over simplified, but I have no idea how intense your workouts are. Circuit training can be a good way to burn a fair bit depending on how you structure it.

So despite the fact that she is clearly going overboard with the cardio, you recommend increasing the intensity of her existing workouts in order to burn more calories. Circuit training is the last thing she needs right now. In this context, all that will do is increase the muscle-loss signal.
    Yes, weight loss is about calories, but the fact is that exercise has a small effect on the rate of weight loss. Unless you're capable of literally hours upon hours of daily exercise, the "burn" you create will generally be small compared to the deficit you create through your diet.

This is potentially fairly ridiculous. If I eat the same amount of calories from one week to another, but I spend one of those weeks burning an extra 3000 calories (600cal/day x 5 days), then that's not a small effect. Whether the deficit comes from the energy in or energy out part of the equation makes little difference to the scale.

Potentially fairly ridiculous? What does that even mean?

The example you gave is not a realistic one because:

1. Studies show that most people, on average, burn 5 calories/minute. She said she burns 350 calories, 45 min a day. Let's be generous and assumes that's true and she burns about 7.5/minute and works out for an hour, 5 days a week. That's 450 calories per day, 2250 per week. Will it contribute to the deficit? Of course. Can she generate an even larger deficit from her diet and have an easier time doing so? Yes. On top of that, should she even be doing that much cardio in a significant deficit? That depends, but In most cases, no, and it will cause more problems than it solves. Thankfully, she said she does not have the time to do more.

2. Studies show that most people overestimate the expenditure of exercise anyway (see the link I posted).

As I already explained, aside from certain athletes that are capable of performing absolutely massive amounts of exercise (i.e. endurance athletes), exercise will generally not have a significant impact on energy balance.

And to reiterate, I am telling her she does not need to track her energy expenditure from exercise. I am NOT telling her to stop exercising (although I would certainly recommend drastically changing her routine). Exercise has other benefits for overall health, adherence to diet, calorie partitioning, etc.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Potentially fairly ridiculous? What does that even mean?

The example you gave is not a realistic one because:

1. Studies show that most people, on average, burn 5 calories/minute. She said she burns 350 calories, 45 min a day. Let's be generous and assumes that's true and she burns about 7.5/minute and works out for an hour, 5 days a week. That's 450 calories per day, 2250 per week. Will it contribute to the deficit? Of course. Can she generate an even larger deficit from her diet and have an easier time doing so? Yes. On top of that, should she even be doing that much cardio in a significant deficit? That depends, but In most cases, no, and it will cause more problems than it solves. Thankfully, she said she does not have the time to do more.

2. Studies show that most people overestimate the expenditure of exercise anyway (see the link I posted).

As I already explained, aside from certain athletes that are capable of performing absolutely massive amounts of exercise (i.e. endurance athletes), exercise will generally not have a significant impact on energy balance.

And to reiterate, I am telling her she does not need to track her energy expenditure from exercise. I am NOT telling her to stop exercising (although I would certainly recommend drastically changing her routine). Exercise has other benefits for overall health, adherence to diet, calorie partitioning, etc.

Potentially fairly ridiculous means I think you're actually being fairly ridiculous but was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

-You have no idea how hard she's working on her cardio. You have no reason to call it overboard. You know very little, but seem to want to assume a lot.

-I actually don't give a damn about your good intentions with regard to her question. You arrogantly quote studies without knowing the specifics of her situation.

-There's all kinds of circuit training routines. Some have a strong strength components. It's entirely possibly that the variety in movements would be sufficient to keep her body from adapting while also maintaining her lean muscle.

-Once again, and hopefully you'll learn something. Your oft referenced studies lack relevance unless the contexts between the studies and the OP are consistent. Since you don't know that, I can't imagine why you'd bother talking about them.
  • simonkimberlin
    simonkimberlin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried an "afterburn" workout? these are workouts where you hit multiple muscle groups all at once, it will build a little muscle but more muscle burns more calories, when you do these excersises you will continue to burn well after your workout has finished sometimes up to 48 hours later.
    Google "afterburn workout" and take a look.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    -You have no idea how hard she's working on her cardio. You have no reason to call it overboard. You know very little, but seem to want to assume a lot.

Actually, I do have an idea. Because she said how many calories she is burning and she gave a timeframe.
    Of course I am making assumptions based on the limited information she gave, I already acknowledged this multiple times - hence my vague recommendations. And yes I do have a fairly good reason to call it overboard given the information I know - which is that ALL she does is cardio, and she is in a deficit. If she gives more information about her diet/training, I'll modify accordingly. I have not given any specific recommendations. And I have also not told her to try circuit training, which will not help her in the long run.
    -There's all kinds of circuit training routines. Some have a strong strength components. It's entirely possibly that the variety in movements would be sufficient to keep her body from adapting while also maintaining her lean muscle.
    Given her question of wanting to increase caloric burn, do you actually think she will look into the type of circuit training routine that will allow her to maintain her LBM? You even say "circuit training can be a good way to burn a fair bit". And that's not even getting into the fact that exclusively doing circuit training/metabolic training is not optimal for maintaining muscle mass on a diet. But of course you knew that.

And I hope to God you are joking about "variety in movements" being sufficient to maintaining her muscle mass. Are you going to talk about "muscle confusion" next? Without the high tension muscle stimulus of heavy training, the body has no reason to maintain muscle mass on a diet (other factors are critical as well, such as adequate protein intake).
    -I actually don't give a damn about your good intentions with regard to her question. You arrogantly quote studies without knowing the specifics of her situation.
    Great, what is your point? Whatever the specifics of her situation are do not discount the accuracy of the studies.
    -Once again, and hopefully you'll learn something. Your oft referenced studies lack relevance unless the contexts between the studies and the OP are consistent. Since you don't know that, I can't imagine why you'd bother talking about them.
    I already addressed this above. Please elaborate on how they are irrelevant.
    The studies I referred to are so general that they apply to everyone. That's what the word "average" means. Notice how I used other qualifying words such as "most" and "generally".
    The purpose of mentioning the studies is to simply make her aware of the fact that many people overestimate the caloric expenditure from activity, which leads to either expecting a far greater impact on weight loss than the real world dictates, or eating those calories back under the assumption that they were burned off with activity. Given her question, it's relevant.

I think it is more productive to do what I did then to just go tell her to look into circuit training like you did. If she disagrees, then that's her prerogative.