Protein sources (Lactose Intolerant and peanut allergy)

Options
Hey, so I know there are a tonne of these questions out there and I've been reading them all day but a lot of people offer up protein suggestions for lactose intolerant people that have peanuts in them, which is why I'm gonna try asking myself.

I'm looking to get more protein into my diet, but obviously lactose and peanut free!

Whatever it is needs to be CHEAP (broke student) and quick to make and preferably a snack or a freezable lunch. Breakfast ideas would be really welcome too, I've given up trying to think of something that isn't eggs (don't really have time to cook them) or milk based but still has a decent amount of protein.

I'm already trying to incorporate chickpeas and eggs, but I don't really like eggs and only eat them for the protein, I'm planning to eat canned tuna or chicken with brown rice most days for lunch but I figure that its gonna get old really fast =[

Any ideas, because I'm having real trouble with this, and would rather avoid protein powder if I can (because it's expensive). I'm only mildly lactose intolerant, but it's enough that I can't have dairy two days in a row and probably shouldn't have it at all =[

Help?

Oh, if anyone has recipes for an easy chickpea stew, with lots of veges and beans, that would be most welcome, for some reason I can't find one online very easily.

Replies

• bryonysten
    Options
    Vegetables have sufficient protein in them, you don't need animal sources really.

Dinner - why not a bean or lentil soup? Lentil dahl would also be yummy, I have this loads.

Make some hummus (chickpea based), cheaper than buying it, easy to make, good fats & protein

Breakfast - juices would also work, you could add some spiralina powder for protein

Try also things like tofu - stirfrys are great, and soy

You could also make burgers from things like red kidney beans held together with an egg and get some veggies in there too.

There are loads of good sources on the web, but you might find looking at vegan, raw or clean eating sites will help you find sources without lactose or nuts

Good luck!
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey Zoe...
    I've been lactose intolerance for the last four years, however in the last six months it has gone! Amazing.... so first I would say, try to stick with it, it could just be a temporary thing. I have been taking probiotic tablets for the last six months and am sure this has contributed a lot to becoming tolerant again.

I struggled with getting a handle on it in the beginning, but I do eat a fair amount of eggs. Crack two in a nonstick pan, add some seasoning and stir, done in a few minutes.... if I'm in a rush I just eat it straight from the pan. It's filling and super yummy (I only buy free range eggs though which adds to the taste). It's faster and cheaper than a bowl of cereal! Tofu and lentils are great, try the Indian stores in town for much, much cheaper options than New World or Countdown.

I'll have a look in some recipe books tomorrow and see if I have any good ones :wink:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Err hate to state the obvious but...

Meat. buy stuff on sale, freeze it.
  • Bethyann7793
    Options
    I am also lactose intolerant.
    I take probiotics, and, I take a lactose tablet whenever I eat something that has milk in it and it helps soo much!

Packaged oatmeal has a lot of protien in it.
    My husband mentioned that to me. And plus its easy to make, easy to store, and very cheap.

Canned soups thatt have beans in them can be high in protien.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am also lactose intolerant.
    I take probiotics, and, I take a lactose tablet whenever I eat something that has milk in it and it helps soo much!

Packaged oatmeal has a lot of protien in it.
    My husband mentioned that to me. And plus its easy to make, easy to store, and very cheap.

Canned soups thatt have beans in them can be high in protien.

Can you find Kefir? It's made from milk but most of the lactose has been consumed by the bacteria -more so than yogurt. You may be able to handle it.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Lean meats like chicken and turkey--buy in bulk so it's cheaper per pound and make ahead meals, or prepare it, cut it into chunks and freeze so you can pull it out later and add it to wraps, salads, or casseroles. Veggie burgers are yummy, but can be pricey unless you find coupons. Beans, quinoa, and soy milk are also good sources of protein.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Err hate to state the obvious but...

Meat. buy stuff on sale, freeze it.

To the OP: I dont know where you reside but often I find great prices at some of my local asian markets. We also have wholesale places that sell meats at much lower prices than the big chain-name grocery stores. I just purchased boneless-skinless chicken breast for $1.68/lb (but, I chose to purchase a case)....

Be careful with canned foods as many will contain alot of salt.

If you need to 'see' the protein amounts, I use calorieking.com for my utritional information needs.... free to use too!
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    For good sources of protein- MEAT. Meat has complete proteins, whereas plant based (with the exception of soy) you have to take in multiple (and I mean multiple) different types of plants/ legumes to get complete proteins. Eggs are a complete protein (also called the "perfect protein") and they're also cheap. When I get eggs I usually hard boil a dozen and leave the other dozen to be cooked however. I'm also lactose intolerant, but I have noticed that I don't have any side effects with Greek yogurt.
  • z_Zoe_z
    z_Zoe_z Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm avoiding meat because it's expensive here (NZ) and I prefer vegetarian options, and Dinner is already sorted for me, sometimes there's lots of protein in it, but sometimes not, so I want the other meals and snacks to have as much protein as I can just in case there's no meat for dinner.

I'll definitely try making hummus, I love hummus sooo much with carrots and celery!

As to the other lactose intolerant people, I might give probiotics a go and see what happens! the pills for lactose intolerance are apparently quite expensive here according to a friend I have who gets them, so not worth it if I can just avoid dairy (although I really really miss it =[ I only got lactose intolerance two years ago in my first year of uni so I'm struggling to remember I shouldn't have dairy anymore, but I still have cheese quite often, it doesn't seem to affect me much, for which I am VERY grateful, a life without cheese is not something I want lol )

I understand complete proteins because I study biochemistry, which is why I make myself eat eggs and try to mix beans with rice and stuff, I guess I'll just have to learn to love eggs!

Thanks again =]
  • bryonysten
    Options
    If you're missing cheese, I know some vegan recipes that use things like silken tofu to make a creamy type cheese, add sundried tomatoes for e.g.

I also see things about nutritional yeast (might be called yeast flakes in NZ), which apparently can taste cheesy too - google 'vegan cheese' and loads of things should come up.

Good luck!
  • BrettMacaw
    Options
    Thank you for posting very informative and helpful alternatives for those of us who are trying to get more protien into our diets. I've recently gone veggie, and my body cries out for meat! If you have any recipies to pass along, please do. This is my first few days on MFP, and I need all the help I can get
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you can get lactose free protein powder, just mix it with water instead. not really dinner or lunch options. but its something