Measuring yourself?!

Options
This is mostly for the ladies out there, but guys can chime in too!

I have been trying to measure myself every other week when I weigh in, but it isn't as easy as I thought.

I have been trying to measure myself in roughly the same spot each time but I don't think I am doing a great job.

Any tips on taking your measurements? How do you do it? Do you use landmarks on your body?

For instance, my boobs, I try to aim for the nipple line each time, but I have a tough time with like my thigh.

Help!?!!

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I can't help myself with this one. Please forgive me, but I found it funny. Here goes: I am sure me or any one of the guys on here would gladly help you out with that.
  • kikiwilkinson
    Options
    Hahahahahha! ( :
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I had a tough time with my thigh too but now I just measure it at the largest part.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The obvious landmarks: nipple, navel, the top of your ladyparts or manparts for the guys (right above the actual parts, not above the pubic hair area. That should put the tape right around the meat of your caboose). Make sure the tape is level all the way around. For the thigh, measure from the top of your kneecap to your hip. Divide by 2 and that is your mark. In other words, if you have a 16 inch femur, you should measure at 8 inches above your kneecap. For woman, you would probably want to add right under your breasts too. For the bicep, I go for the largest point. The shoulders are the hardest spot when measuring alone, but that is just because it is difficult to get it to stay level while you are tightening the tape to read it.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just read another article about this and it said to measure your thigh slightly higher than the middle. I guess you can pick a spot, but measure how high above your kneecap it is and use the same spot every time.
  • chantellove
    chantellove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I never measured myself this whole time I've been losing weight...I'm down 50 pounds and have no idea what my SW measurements were! I'm cursing myself :)
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    I do nipple, thinnest part of waiste / ribs area and fattest part of belly (which is below belly button)

The key to it is consistancy - doesnt really matter where - just same place each time.

I also only do measurements every 4 weeks, and take (unflattering) photo every 8 weeks
  • kikiwilkinson
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just measure at the thickest part.
  • bmarie612
    bmarie612 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For your thigh measurement do the widest part...right below your butt. Thats how I get that measurement as accurate as possible.
  • sar04tamu
    sar04tamu Posts: 27
    Options
    I try to use freckles as a guideline to get the same spot every time.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i too have a hard time getting the right spot each time, especially when i am doing my lower belly. I find the tape begins to slide as i pull it around and it is never in the same place. I will measure and get 3 different reading, and which is the accurate one, who knows... even around my navel, i have a hard time getting it straight and in one place... darn curves!
  • kikiwilkinson
    Options

hahaha, thats what I have been trying to do!
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options

hahaha, thats what I have been trying to do!
    Ha! That's how I do it too!
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    my trainer just did my measurements today and for my thigh, he measured up from my knee (like 6 or 7 inches) and then measured across that area.

if you have no freckles or obvious skin marks, try something like that so that you get the same spot the next time. Or, just do what I do, make someone else do it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!