Is drinking calories bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• GypsyWildflower
    Options
    I fully and completely understand everything you said. I prefer to drink my calories in the same way: no soda, no weirdo protein shakes or fake sugary juice-like-substances (i.e. koolaid, capri sun, crystal lite...eugh)... just normal drinks. Normal drinks that I drink because I like them.
    If you offered me a turkey burger or a strawberry banana smoothie for lunch, I'd take the smoothie please. I would rather have 4 cups of milky tea than a poptart, call me crazy. Also, if we are really similar in habit, I'm guessing you still eat solid food fairly regularly, maybe averaging at least 1 solid meal per day?

Absolutely.. I'm not saying I don't eat food. I'm married, which means my husbands I can't not eat solid food. Men just don't seem to do that haha.. At least one meal a day is solid.

When it comes to juicing, I am aware of the fiber issues and such and such. That's why I add the "pulp" to smoothies and soups.

I did have my questions answered, thank you.
  • GypsyWildflower
    Options
    Oh, and thank you for the link econut2000
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I see so often "I'd rather eat my calories than drink them". Well... I actually don't mind drinking my calories over eating them. Is there anything wrong with a primarily liquid diet? I don't do it specifically for weight loss.. I just prefer drinking over eating.

If you're satisfied and not lacking dietary components its fine.
  • m2kz
    m2kz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are drinking. If you're getting calories from sugary soft drinks and juices, then yes, drinking calories is very bad.

If its a smoothie drink with a heap of protein powder combined with whole fruit and spinach mixed with water (or milk/yogurt if you eat dairy), then maybe that is okay.

Juice is the worst of the worst (read 'Sweet Poison').
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are drinking. If you're getting calories from sugary soft drinks and juices, then yes, drinking calories is very bad.

If its a smoothie drink with a heap of protein powder combined with whole fruit and spinach mixed with water (or milk/yogurt if you eat dairy), then maybe that is okay.

Juice is the worst of the worst (read 'Sweet Poison').

^ i think this is basically the same thing i would say. i might make some minor changes. occasionally drinking soft drinks and juices is ok. the problem is that drinking those things doesn't satiate your hunger. so if you drink calories regularly, you don't get the same benefit of hunger suppression that you do from food.

i don't think juice is poison, but if she just means that it often has huge amounts of hidden sugar, and thus calories, i'd agree with that too.

here's an example,

which of these 2 drinks do you think has more calories?

a) 1 gallon of Mott's apple juice
    b) 1 gallon of Arizona sweet tea

you might be surprised to find out that the Mott's apple juice has 1920 calories, while the Arizona sweet tea only has 1440 calories.