Really??

Options
So I'm very new to this so bare with me. But something is bugging me. I go to Curves every morning. It 30 mins of circuit training. In between each station I run in place. My heart rate is consistantly on target for the maximum workout. HOWEVER, when I log it in here it says I'm only burning 32 calories. This is very disappointing because this is my literally the only chance I have to workout and I'm committed to Curves for the next year. Any thoughts on whether this is right or wrong?

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You need to get a heart rate monitor. I know you are burning more than 32 calories.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    something isnt right...maybe your settings are off?

does your curves have a 'curves smart' program? basically it is a key tag you insert into each machine and it tracks your workout. at the end, you put the key tag into the computer and it tells you how many calories you burn. although this helps, i think the only true way of knowing how many you burn is a chest strap heart rate monitor.

good luck! :drinker:
  • andlofly
    andlofly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    what are you logging it as? when I log 30 min of circuit training it shows 262 cal.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is some mistake in either the way you are logging your workout, or your profile. You need to set up a profile with your body weight and other information. If you log in the workout under "circuit training, general" in the cardio section, you will get a more robust calorie number.

Because of the varying nature of circuit training, it will be a rough estimate at best, but more than 32 calories.

For a female of average weight and fitness level, you can expect to burn about 250 calories in a 30 min curves workout. As you become more fit and more accustomed to the machines, you can push yourself a little harder and maybe push it to 300.

I am familiar with the curves setup, but not all the details. If there is any way to modify the intervals and do more cardio in between machines, I would recommend trying to push the total to 45 min (don't know if you are allowed to "freelance" like that). Otherwise you should make sure you are going at least 5-6 days per week.
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    I have the same problem with some of my workouts.
    So this is what I did.

1st I got really familiar with the way my body felt during the workout in question
    Then
    I would run or walk for the same amount of time. Trying to feel the same level of exertion.

Then I figure out how many calories I burnt walking and use that for the workout.

Obviously it would be better to have a HR monitor that measures calories burnt, but this is the poor mans solution.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You must only be logging your running in between? do that plus the 30 min circuit training and you should be between 225 and 300.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I really rely on my heart monitor but when I put in 30 minutes of circuit training under exercise it come up with over 200 calories. Check how you are puttin in your data.
  • LaurieB5578
    LaurieB5578 Posts: 1,297
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I double checked and made sure all my info in my profile is correct. The I made sure that I'm going to excerise and logging circuit training for 30 mins. Same result.

Unfortunately the Curves I attend hasn't upgraded to the new machines yet cause that would certainly help. I guess I'll just have to finf a heart monitor...

Thanks everyone cause I was really discouraged. Now I feel better.
  • LaurieB5578
    LaurieB5578 Posts: 1,297
    Options
    Oh I'm so excited. Somehow the first time I logged my excerise I manually changed the calories to 32. Then I've just been auto adding from the list. So I deleted that re-added it and I burn 315!!! That's much better. Phew! Thank you again!!