Breakfast

Options
I know it's classed as the most important meal of the day but just got one question...

Are you supposed to eat it the minute you get out of bed, or is within the hour of getting up ok? I am seriously struggling to put food in my mouth first thing in the morning. Never have been a breakfast person really but have made the effort recently. I just can't do it straight away.

Replies

• hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast about 60-80 minutes after I get because I usually workout first.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I get to work (between 8.30 - 9 am). If I eat straight after I get up of a morning, it makes me feel sick. At the weekend I normally eat after going for a run or within 30 mins of getting up.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5/5.15am do my workout and then have breakfast before I have my shower. I can't eat the second I get up either x
  • torreviejo
    torreviejo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will try to eat breakfast within one hour of getting up and usually just after I exercise.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat it straight out of bed is when someone has it already made for me. Ha ha ha. Jk, that never happens, so I usually wait about an hour because I can't eat straight out of bed either. =)
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    I suppose its whenever you feel hungry, aslong as you dont leave it too late.

I usually get up at 6:30 go for a 30min jog then eat when i come back, and days im not jogging i eat pretty much as soon as i wake up.

If you're not a big fan of eating in the morning, why not try a smoothie or protein shake?
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I get up between 6 - 6:30am on weekdays and usually eat breakfast at around 7:30. On weekends, it's normally around an hour or so after I get up.
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    During the week, I get up at 7am, take kids to school for 8.30 then home for breakfast. I enjoy it more and digest it better if I'm not eating against the clock and I don't tend to eat as much either!
  • sashatranett
    Options
    within the first hour of waking up is the goal. really the reason that it is so important to eat breakfast is so your body gets out of fasting mode and doesn't go into starvation mode and start holding onto fat (hence the name "break-fast")
  • worgen
    worgen Posts: 14
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal after I workout in the morning and then a banana while I drive to work.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I know it's classed as the most important meal of the day but just got one question...

Are you supposed to eat it the minute you get out of bed, or is within the hour of getting up ok? I am seriously struggling to put food in my mouth first thing in the morning. Never have been a breakfast person really but have made the effort recently. I just can't do it straight away.

You don't need to eat breakfast at all. Don't eat it if you don't want to. Eat when you're hungry, listen to your body.

I NEVER eat breakfast unless there's some special occasion like a family event.
    within the first hour of waking up is the goal. really the reason that it is so important to eat breakfast is so your body gets out of fasting mode and doesn't go into starvation mode and start holding onto fat (hence the name "break-fast")

Your body will not go into starvation mode after 8 hours of not eating. You will actually burn MORE fat if you don't eat for a couple of hours (say up to 12pm) then if you stuff your face the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep.

Breakfasts importance is vastly overstated. That is all
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

You don't need to eat breakfast at all. Don't eat it if you don't want to. Eat when you're hungry, listen to your body.

this exactly

Your body will not go into starvation mode after 8 hours of not eating. You will actually burn MORE fat if you don't eat for a couple of hours (say up to 12pm) then if you stuff your face the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep.

• dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My weight loss doc says within an hour. I'm lucky if I do breakfast within 3 hours. Breakfast gets the Metabolism started.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My weight loss doc says within an hour. I'm lucky if I do breakfast within 3 hours. Breakfast gets the Metabolism started.

About as much as a glass of water does.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I'm starving less than an hour after I wake up, so I eat, but that's just me. Eat when you're hungry.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Just wondering where you got your information from?! All professionals I have heard in the diet/nutrition/fitness field have always said to eat breakfast?!?! As the longer you leave it the more likely you are to eat more food and make bad choices of what to eat once you do it! So would be good to know where you got your facts from? x
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If I followed the eat when your hungry advice about breakfast I could (and have) gone days without eating. My experience is that eating breakfast helps activate the hunger trigger for the day. The more regular I am with breakfast, the more regular the rest of my meals come.
  • brandyanne0204
    brandyanne0204 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I am not a breakfast type of person and sometimes I will skip breakfast and sometimes I have breakfast food for lunch which I think they call brunch. I do want to start eating something in the morning even if its just a breakfast bar or a bowl of cereal.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Just wondering where you got your information from?! All professionals I have heard in the diet/nutrition/fitness field have always said to eat breakfast?!?! As the longer you leave it the more likely you are to eat more food and make bad choices of what to eat once you do it! So would be good to know where you got your facts from? x

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

I swear this exact topic was posted just yesterday. Has anyone seen that button up the top that says "search"?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a personal choice. Not really necessary if you don't choose to eat that early.

Metabolism doesn't stop at night. So, the "jump start" is false info.

The theory on not eating breakfast and making bad choices later has nothing to do with science and everything to do with that person not being smart about what they are choosing to eat.

Your metabolism will not slow down after not eating for 10-12 hours. 72 hours is usually the time frame when metabolism will start to slow.