so many calories !! anyone else with a fitbit finding this ?

Options
Morning guys and gals .

I purchased a fitbit last week and since friday my calories are high on here before I even do anything ... confused .com ? I am trying to be good and stick to the normal 1200 unless I exercise but I am finding it difficult when it shows I have so many left ..when i see the calories burned at the end of day on fitbit they are quite high , should this be a true representation of what i really should be aiming for !!!! and using up ? any advise would be appreciated .

Replies

• jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been using my Fitbit for about a month now. I usually only get an adjustment for about 250-500 a day. Although I am more active than I realised I was. I was able to up my calories to 2051 and that is still with a deficit at the end of the day. Usually I only make about 1900 or so though. I make sure to net above my BMR, but with the increased calories that hasn't been a problem.

My husband has been using his Fitbit and it gives him HUGE adjustments. Now sure why, but sheesh sometimes up to 2500 a day.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    do you log the time when you do activities with the fitbit on, and not just everyday stuff? I saw something similar but once I logged the time, it sort of works itself out. If you don't log the time, it sort of double counts aka an activity on mfp + the fitbit data. See if that helps!
  • AnnaSalam
    Options
    Hello I'm new on here and am unsure what a fitbit is. Can someone please explain :) thanks
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    Hello I'm new on here and am unsure what a fitbit is. Can someone please explain :) thanks

Hello :O) go to the tools tabs and you will see fitbit, click on the link ..I think this will explain much better than I can !!
  • MaryPhilomena
    MaryPhilomena Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do not log any exercise on MFP I just let my fitbit do its thing and am happy with the result :)
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    do you log the time when you do activities with the fitbit on, and not just everyday stuff? I saw something similar but once I logged the time, it sort of works itself out. If you don't log the time, it sort of double counts aka an activity on mfp + the fitbit data. See if that helps!

I did keep it on but did not log on MFP as the difference on the treadmill to what fitbit was saying was so wrong . Fitbit is not good for running on treadmill etc ... so will remove it when I do any exercise that is more than a walk .so not double entered or anyting .. thats why im confused !!
  • bananaface222
    bananaface222 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hello sorry i am new today i anm on 1200 cals is that a bit low is anybody else losing on that thanks for help
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Morning guys and gals .

I purchased a fitbit last week and since friday my calories are high on here before I even do anything ... confused .com ? I am trying to be good and stick to the normal 1200 unless I exercise but I am finding it difficult when it shows I have so many left ..when i see the calories burned at the end of day on fitbit they are quite high , should this be a true representation of what i really should be aiming for !!!! and using up ? any advise would be appreciated .

Once you've had your fitbit in use for a bit longer you'll be able to look at the average calorie burn over a certain period and then set your own goal rather than the 1200 calories.

You'll just need to take a deficit from the fitbit calorie burn and then not worry about the exercise calories.

Many people find they are suprised that their fitbit says their TDEE is higher than they thought.
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    I have been using my Fitbit for about a month now. I usually only get an adjustment for about 250-500 a day. Although I am more active than I realised I was. I was able to up my calories to 2051 and that is still with a deficit at the end of the day. Usually I only make about 1900 or so though. I make sure to net above my BMR, but with the increased calories that hasn't been a problem.

My husband has been using his Fitbit and it gives him HUGE adjustments. Now sure why, but sheesh sometimes up to 2500 a day.

HI ya
    Yeah I am more active than I thought I was too . But thanks for the advise :O) of to try a new fitness dvd without my fitbit on and will just log through exercise on MFP i think ..
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OK, if your FitBit is dramatically different to MFP, chances are you have your MFP set to sedentary when you are probably lightly active instead. As the ever marvellous Kimsied recommends, try moving your MFP activity level up one. If you still have an adjustment everyday but a smaller one then you are probably correct, if the adjustment disappears altogether then move it back down.

I was worried about the adjustment at first, but, by the end of each day my FitBit net and MFP net were almost identical. If you aren't used to eating back exercise calories this might be hard to get your head around though.
  • Smuterella
    Options

HI ya
    Yeah I am more active than I thought I was too . But thanks for the advise :O) of to try a new fitness dvd without my fitbit on and will just log through exercise on MFP i think ..

you should still keep it on
  • Arestoktra
    Options
    I just wish fitbit ships overseas too. :sad:
  • Smuterella
    Options

you should be able to buy on eBay, they have new ones on there that ship overseas - for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fitbit-Ultra-Wireless-Fitness-Tracker-Black-Blue-/180852812772?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2a1baaebe4
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hello sorry i am new today i anm on 1200 cals is that a bit low is anybody else losing on that thanks for help

Personally, I think it's kind of low. I was losing weight when i was eating 1200/ day, BUT I was constantly grumpy and unwilling/ to darn sleepy to workout. After reading a few forum topics on MFP I upped my calories. I gained a little weight the first two weeks BUT THEN started losing again as normal. Now I'm not hungry/ angry AND I can workout. I upped my calorie intake because I want this to be a change for life... and I just don't see that working for me if I have to eat so little.

THAT SAID, I still have a ways to go. :-)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

I bought mine Sunday from Amazon - shipped to Australia in 2 days!!!
  • flea
    flea Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I've had a friend buy from amazon.com and I ordered my BodyMedia Fit from amazon and it shipped internationally (I got it within a week from ordering).

I don't have a fitbit but I have a BMF and although I've been upping my calories anyway I was still kinda shocked at just how active I am during the day. I had mine set to lightly active but I'm more like moderately to extremely active. Who knew chasing after kids and housework was such a good workout.
  • Arestoktra
    Options
    you should be able to buy on eBay, they have new ones on there that ship overseas - for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fitbit-Ultra-Wireless-Fitness-Tracker-Black-Blue-/180852812772?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2a1baaebe4
    I've had a friend buy from amazon.com and I ordered my BodyMedia Fit from amazon and it shipped internationally (I got it within a week from ordering).

I don't have a fitbit but I have a BMF and although I've been upping my calories anyway I was still kinda shocked at just how active I am during the day. I had mine set to lightly active but I'm more like moderately to extremely active. Who knew chasing after kids and housework was such a good workout.
    I bought mine Sunday from Amazon - shipped to Australia in 2 days!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I think I'll go for the Amazon. It seems more secure to me for some reason. :drinker: :happy:
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I'm in Australia and bought mine over Amazon. I had to search a bit for one that would ship internationally. Only problem I have had is that I lost my wrist band. In order to get a new one I had to provide a us shipping address and phone number. So I guess jut don't lose anything. :laugh:
  • CraftyPayne
    Options

Hiya
    1200 calories is good if you are not active during your normal day to day life and dependent on what weight you are .
    I have lost 14 pounds in the last 8 weeks going with 1200 calories but if I exercise and burn calories I also use them up too ,its a good incentive to exercise :O) hope this helps .
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    OK, if your FitBit is dramatically different to MFP, chances are you have your MFP set to sedentary when you are probably lightly active instead. As the ever marvellous Kimsied recommends, try moving your MFP activity level up one. If you still have an adjustment everyday but a smaller one then you are probably correct, if the adjustment disappears altogether then move it back down.

I was worried about the adjustment at first, but, by the end of each day my FitBit net and MFP net were almost identical. If you aren't used to eating back exercise calories this might be hard to get your head around though.
    [/quote

Thanks this sounds like great advise will look into pos changing from sedentary , I only put it as this due to having fulltime desk job .. but if it gives a better reading with the two together its an option for me :O)