Hungry

Options
Hello, I am only eating 1200 calories a day and I am always hungry! Can someone tell me what is good to eat through out the day that has ZERO calories? Thanks.

Replies

• sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew. I can also only eat 1257 (give or take) per day and am starving! Getting worse day by day, so today I decided to add carbs to my menu's, but then my miserable amount of 1257 is going to disappear very quickly. I still have not quite figured out how this works...

The only thing that was ZERO calories for me was a cup green tea.................. :-( Else I ate 3 radishes yesterday and that was 1 calorie....... Ohhhhhhh... Let me know if you come up with anything.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Um, paper. Sorry. Just jokes. I don't know of one food with zero calories. Maybe you need more protein and fibre? Experiment and then see what takes away the hunger pangs.
  • Arestoktra
    Options
    All I can think of something with 0 calories are water and mineral water. I can't see your diary so just guessing here, but, how about trying to include more greens with lots of fibre that can keep you more full? Or you can increase your calorie intake by exercising more?

Whenever I'm hungry, I try to drink water first and it usually compensates it up to a point. Maybe that can help you too.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't think that' enough calories...and success can be had by eating more, I promise you. I'm only 5'5", but I still have always eaten at least 1700 calories/day. I generally eat more than that...and net 1700.

I've lost over 30 lbs. by doing this...

It works. And I don't feel hungry.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to find any real food that contains zero calories, it just doesn't work that way. Calories are a measurement of how much energy food gives you - and that's a good thing, we need energy (ie. calories) to stay alive.
    Three suggestions:
    - 1200 calories is a bare minimum and if you are really hungry every single day, it's probably not enough. Go back to your goals and recalculate them choosing "lose 1/2 pound a week" and see what your calorie allowance is.
    - if you are exercising, you can eat more. You only have to wal for half an hour and you have another 150 cals or so to eat.
    - add fruit and veggies to your meals

Remember, you need to find a way to eat healthy that you can sustain for the long term. starving yourself is not going to be sustainable.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am only eating 1200 calories a day and I am always hungry! Can someone tell me what is good to eat through out the day that has ZERO calories? Thanks.

if you are hungry then 1200 may not be right for you, or maybe you put too aggressive a loss in your settings.

What is your estimated TDEE? - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • MiChaChelle
    MiChaChelle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i am also at 1200 and it doesnt seem to be enough some days.. i work out a lot when im hungry and eat back all my exercise calories and i'm consistently losing 2lbs/week.. try doing that
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    1200 cals seems quite low... what do you have your goals set to? If you open your food diary it could help. The closer you are to your goal weight, the less the deficit should be. Are you eating back exercise cals? As for low(er) cal food, lately I have been eating cupfuls of lettuce with lemon juice which helps fill me up a bit but also tricks me into thinking I have eaten more than I really have... if you are hungry a lot you may need to bump your cals up a bit.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Use these in this order - Military body fat then BMR - This (Kath McArdle) will tell you what you should eat on a daily basis:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Don't go by exactly what MFP tells you b/c it calculates low....Put in your own calories/day with the info from above & put macros at 40/30/30....HTH :)
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Stock up on veggies and lettuce, they dont have alot of calories and can really fill you up if you eat enough. I found that i feel more hungry if im eating bread and pastas, so i eat more veggies, nuts, and lean meats now :)

Also protein shakes fill me up SO much, im stuffed four a couple hours after :)
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You would be so surprised what a difference 1400 cals makes. I upped mine cos I was always hungry. Zero calorie fixes for me are diet coke.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Nothing that's good to eat has zero calories. It's possible you're not eating enough. Have you set your weight loss to 2 lbs a week? With only 15 lbs to lose, that's a very aggressive goal. There's no need to be hungry all the time. Check these out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546227-for-the-500-000-time-eating-more-works

Also, with only 15 lbs to lose, if you're wanting jaws to drop at your reunion, you might want to try some weight lifting and focus more on body fat percentage rather than the numbers on the scale. That might get you the results you want quicker.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/530028-one-month-of-heavy-lifting-mummy-tummy-tmi-pants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/564486-7-months-healthy-eating-1-month-heavy-lifting
  • arglwyddes
    Options
    I'm on 1200 too. The first week I really struggled, but more with beating the sugar addiction than anything else.

My basic deal for most meals is a bed of a variety of salad leaves (the mixed dark green ones including baby spinach), then on top of that I put different things daily, such as some slices of tomato, slices of raw capsicum, cucumber, some shredded carrot. Then on top of that I put thin slices of either low fat fetta cheese, or low fat normal cheese, plus some protein such as tofu or vegie burger (I'm a vegetarian, but you could opt for fish etc here). I only put on about 100 - 150 g of protein on top. If I've got time I'll also add in a little bit of fruit, such as a few scattered grapes, a few slices of pear or a few bits of mandarine. It sounds weird to put these on what is essentially a warm salad, but once I put some balsamic vinegar over them it brings out a really different taste. If you're using this meal as a dinner, I put in a few peanuts and also about 1/2 a slice of toast cut up for fill up value.

I obviously do a lot of variation on this, but this really works for me as a "fillerup". It's ridiculously healthy too and makes me feel like continuing the healthy eating. I have cereal with low fat milk in the morning, then generally this meal for lunch and dinner. In between I have quite a few cups of the sweeter tasting herbal teas such as cranberry or peppermint, and these also fill me up with zero calories. Most nights if I've eaten this as my meal I'm actually left with a lot of calories so then I make sure I get to my 1200 with a couple of glasses of skim milk or a cup of soup etc. Or, having been Easter recently, some left over Easter Egg!

I'm feeling full, which I actually usually never am, as prior to starting this healthy eating style I almost constantly thought of food. I think it's because I'm a vegetarian and I was filling up on breads etc rather than on protein.

Good luck, and make sure you get the 1200 calories or you'll feel rubbish. Don't stress if you go over a bit, just dance around to some songs on youtube like I do and burn them off!

:)
  • pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble.. i eat my calories but still hungry or have the munchies all the time.. I try to remember to have a smoothie when i get like this.. it fills me up most of the time and helps the munchies go away.
  • laura789a
    laura789a Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find sugar free jelly helps me, very few calories, its yummy and you feel like you have eaten something. Worth a try.
    Im also on 1200 and my eating habits are not great, I tend to eat nothing all day except a few rice cakes and fruit and then have a proper dinner. I do find tho if i eat carbs at night or have a big dinner im then hungry all the next day so Ive started to cut them out too which results in me being under alot of the time, or scoffing chocolate!. Its a juggling act!

Try eating foods like fish, lean meat and veggies and you will be suprised how much you get for your 1200 cals.
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 21
    Options
    I tend to go over but make up the difference with exercise. Ryvita, bananas and weetabix are all low and fillable snacks.:smile:
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 21
    Options
    Don't stress if you go over a bit, just dance around to some songs on youtube like I do and burn them off!
    Brilliant advice !!

:)
  • HellsBells61
    Options
    A quick fix for me to combat hunger pangs is a tin of Diet Coke - 1 calorie. But I always wash it down with water afterwards to flush the sodium though my system.
  • paulslim4369
    Options
    my calorie intake is low its all about will power best bet is anything wholemeal has for diet drinks stay away from them they low in calories but sweeters make you craving sweet treats stick too water