Sleep problems.....peeing too much!

Options
I've recently increased my water consumption......I drink all day long. I've also recently started waking up a few times a night to pee. Most of the time that isn't a huge problem, but when I get up at around 4:00 to pee I have a hard time falling back asleep and if I lay in bed for more than 15 minutes without falling asleep I guess my body decides that I'm awake and it starts sending hunger signals. Like crazy, painful FEED ME hunger signals! So then I just get up and start my day, except that it's 4 or 5 in the morning and my kids aren't even awake!!

So, how can I get enough water into my day but stop this ridiculous night peeing? I NEED my sleep!

Does anybody else wake up hungry enough to eat a water buffalo?

Replies

• Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I completely relate but mine is through fluid tablets! I'm up at around 4am too (often for the second round visit!) and quite often can't get back to sleep. I find if I go and either drink some milk or eat half a banana it's enough just to settle my stomach back down to go back to sleep. I'm a bit worried about upping my water intake if I get any sleep at all through too many nightly visits!
    I can manage around 6-7glasses of water a day but if I go any further I'll be exploding water bag!!!LOL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A small ox maybe but not a water buffalo....

Try to limit your water intake in the evening (avoid caffeine in the evening too - it's mildly diuretic) and make sure you go before turning off the lights. If the problem continues despite not drinking it may be a sign of other health problems and you should see your doctor.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor to recommend how many glass of water needed for you.
    but I can give you an advice that you should drink water maximum before 2 hrs getting into bed.

Give it a try and let me know if it helps.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Been up since 3:45 a.m. myself, wake up to pee and realize i'm starving. Can only assume our metabolisms are on fire but it's annoying. I even stop drinking water around 7ish at night. I crave a good 8 hours of sleep but thankfully since working out daily, I don't feel tired - feels like I don't need as much sleep anymore. Not sure what the answer is short of a diaper and keeping a snack on the night stand lol
  • debstead56
    debstead56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI, I try to drink most of my daily water in the morning by my lunchtime of 1PM. I NEVER drink anything after 7PM or I know I'll be up and like you, if its after 3AM....I almost always end up starting my day at that time....GOOD LUCK!!!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It sounds trite but it will get better. As your body gets used to you drinking more water, your bladder will stretch and you will sleep through again.
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    All I drink is water...but for a Dt Dp or Tea once in awhile. I don't drink after 5...much. LOL!! But I'm in bed by at least 8. I'm up at 3 to get ready for my day and work out. So ALOT of my water is early morning. I'm up and down about every 2 hours anyway...but thats from a tilted bladder. Guess I'm use to it. But limiting how much you drink about 2 hours before bedtime should help.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great advice given so far- I know how you feel. Really try to keep your water consumption consistent throughout the day so that by the evening you are only sipping the remainder of your water intake to minimize sleep disruption. It will get better over time, but in the first weeks of dramatically increased water consumption, there is not much you can do, on that note, be careful increasing water consumption too rapidly as this can be a strain on your system.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I drink too much water and I was always like this I drink about 12-14 glasses of water + green teas and other fluids and yes lot of times I had to get up in the middle of the night but I make sure that I don't drink too much of water just before going to bed
    so try to drink most of the water before 8 or 9 pm
    and do not drink loads before going to bed...
    See if that helps..
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Would it make you feel better to find out that that whole "Drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is pretty much nonsense?

Unless you're in some extreme situation - like hiking in the desert - you can rely on your own sense of thirst to drink when necessary. It doesn't have to be pure water, either. In fact, you can probably get most of your fluid needs from the food you eat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to the water intake. I used to drink maybe two glasses of water a day, needlesss to say when I increased my water intake, I was away to the loo most of my day... and night.

Give it two weeks or so and your body will adjust. Also, you should spread out the water intake throught the day, so you don't have to urgently need the loo too often, it helps!

Also, try and not drink anything an hour before bed. You shouldn't wake up anymore.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Would it make you feel better to find out that that whole "Drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is pretty much nonsense?

Unless you're in some extreme situation - like hiking in the desert - you can rely on your own sense of thirst to drink when necessary. It doesn't have to be pure water, either. In fact, you can probably get most of your fluid needs from the food you eat.

This is true for people who drink quite a large quantity of water a day anyway. However, since I started drinking lots of water - yes, I do still have to log it all in to keep count, I started losing lots of weight. So, it does help!
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with you Katysmelly , i just cant drink that amount of water , apart from the fact i dont like it i dont feel i need it . i will have 2 large cups of hot lemon water and 2 or 3 cups of tea a day and that seems fine for me but i am not working out in the gym so perhaps that makes the difference for me.
  • bryonysten
    Options
    Ah, this is something that happens to me most nights, in fact, if I sleep the whole night without getting up to pee thats more noteworthy!

I do drink a lot though, always have, so I imagine if you cut down as everyone is saying, things might improve. I'd rather get up though than be thirsty and start getting headaches....
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options

More to the point, sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger. While you might not need 2 litres a day every day, sometimes part of the reason that people have weight problems is because they eat when actually their bodies are just asking for water.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    A small ox maybe but not a water buffalo....

Try to limit your water intake in the evening (avoid caffeine in the evening too - it's mildly diuretic) and make sure you go before turning off the lights. If the problem continues despite not drinking it may be a sign of other health problems and you should see your doctor.

I'm pretty sure that it's just the liquid consumption and not any other medical problem. I have been drinking a lot of water in the evenings because the only time I can workout is in the evenings.....I'm always really thirsty for the couple hours after my workout. I'll try and cut back though!
  • geetabean
    Options
    Been up since 3:45 a.m. myself, wake up to pee and realize i'm starving. Can only assume our metabolisms are on fire but it's annoying. I even stop drinking water around 7ish at night. I crave a good 8 hours of sleep but thankfully since working out daily, I don't feel tired - feels like I don't need as much sleep anymore. Not sure what the answer is short of a diaper and keeping a snack on the night stand lol

I always joked with my husband about wearing a diaper at night time while I was pregnant! :o) I know that my metabolism is on fire.....I recently upped my calories to TDEE -20% and started lifting. For the first little bit I was so overly full I was almost sick, now I'm hungry all.the.time!
  • geetabean
    Options
    Great advice given so far- I know how you feel. Really try to keep your water consumption consistent throughout the day so that by the evening you are only sipping the remainder of your water intake to minimize sleep disruption. It will get better over time, but in the first weeks of dramatically increased water consumption, there is not much you can do, on that note, be careful increasing water consumption too rapidly as this can be a strain on your system.

That's good advice! I don't think I'm drinking too much.....I don't ever force myself to drink water, I'm just a lot more thirsty since increasing calories and starting lifting.
  • geetabean
    Options

That's really interesting! I don't drink a lot of water out of a sense of needing to......I just have a bigger thirst than I used to. I sweat a lot during workouts and I need to replenish!
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    yeah... first week of upping my water intake... every 1.5 to 2 hours I was trekking to the bathroom when I should have been sleeping...

I have dogs, dogs follow you and make noise.

I have a baby in the house and it was just a huge production when I had to get up in the middle of the night. When I sleep days it's just me I'm disturbing.

It's been 4 weeks and it's gotten better but I admit I still wake up halfway through my sleep to pee. I usually don't let it deter me from going back to sleep though and the dogs have gotten so used to it they stay in bed now!