Graveyard shift?

Options
Do any of you have trouble with when and how to eat when working the graveyard shift? I work 11p-730a and it's so difficult to get on a schedule/routine. Some days I get home around 8a and go straight to sleep..other days I go to sleep around 2p. My sleeping pattern varies and it's not very often I get a good amount of sleep. Any suggestions? Im interested to hear how others deal with working the graveyard shift...and please feel free to add me...Im also new to MFP and looking for friends to be accountable with!

Replies

• liztinkrip
    liztinkrip Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work 10p to 7am. On average, I wake up at 2pm, eat a small meal shortly after. Then every 2 hours after that initial meal I eat something small. I get my 15min break at midnight, 1hr lunch at 2am, and then next 15min break at 5am. So it works out where I have something small during each break. Then as soon as I get home I sleep until 2pm and just do it all over again. I've actually been having more problems with eating on my days off than eating on days I work. lol.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I went from 8 hour day shifts to 4 night shifts a week and a few day shifts in between. I lost a lot of weight, (I loved it) but a year later, it all came back plus 15 more! I was soooo mad!!! I can't really give you too much advice, I just saw that no one has responded yet. I would do a bit of research or talk to a nutritionist because night shifts are really hard on the body! Good luck to you :)
  • fordguy74
    fordguy74 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I work by myself midnight to 8am i eat my meal at 3am then at 5 am i have an orange or some kind of fruit. When i get home i take my son to school then i go to bed by 9 am sleep til 3 or 3:30 i usually make a smoothie then eat with my family at supper. I too have more of a problem with my eating habits on my days off. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I work 10:45 pm to 8:45 am. I also have an hour drive minimum each way. I'm away from the house for nearly 13 miles. I eat at 3am, 10am and 8pm. I do a snack at 1am and another around 6am. I sleep from 11 or 12 noon until 7 or 8pm. I am losing about one pound per week. I walk as soon as I have my 10am meal.
  • jamierose86
    Options
    I work random nights (like 2-3 times a month) and it is difficult to adjust my eating schedule, especially since I'm awake all day. I just add on half of my daily calories for the night time....that seems to work for me so far. If I don't eat enough on those nights, I get sharp stomach pains and I'm miserable. Then I sleep until 2-3pm the next day, (skipping my breakfast and lunch times) have a small snack then a regular dinner. It balances out...
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    I work nights. Saturday night to Tuesday night 10 hours (9pm to 7am). I go to bed 8-830am. I am up at 3-330pm. I keep to that routine. On Wednesdays I may wake up earlier, but then I go to bed around 12am and am up with everyone else for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Saturdays I take a nap before work. about 3 hours. I leave the house at 830pm, so I nap from 4pm to 7pm.

I don't worry about eating at the same time every day at all. How I do it is based on when I am awake and work from there, I try to eat in the first 2 hours of waking up for breakfast, Lunch is always after gym. Supper is sometime after that, during the days off, at the normal time as everyone else (between 430 and 630 depending on whose turn it is to cook and what is cooking), when I work supper is at 'lunch' break at work, or whenever I feel hungry (12-1am usually), and snacks throughout the night until about 3-4am (mostly because I find if I don't eat 3 to 4 hours before going to bed I don't have indigestion and have trouble sleeping).

It works into a routine, but I just shift between nights and days without worrying about eating at the same exact time everyday.
  • babyann79
    babyann79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yes I have that same problem: eating on my days off!! What about exercise? Do you exercise around the time you get up?
  • fordguy74
    fordguy74 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I dont exercise nearly enough. We have 3 boys at home so we don't have a regular exercise schedule.
  • babyann79
    Options
    Thanks guys for all of your feedback!!! It really helped me more than you know!! Now gotta go get ready for this "graveyard" shift...lol Have a good night everyone!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I know what you mean. I work Wednesday through Sunday, 7PM to 3AM. Usually on weekdays, being a single mom, I stay up until about 7:30AM to get my son off to school, then I sleep from about 8 to 2:30 when he comes home. I'm so glad my local gym has classes in the evening, or I'd never go. It still stinks that a lot of local exercise and hiking meetups on Meetup.com are all done by super early birds. "Let's go hiking 2 hours away! We'll rendezvous at 7:30AM!" Ugh, the world is run by morning people. They took over while we were sleeping in one morning. ;)

Working MFP with the graveyard shift is tough, too. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be counting about my "days", either; for example, if I have a snack at 1AM on Saturday morning, but I've been up working since 7PM Friday night, do I put that as a snack for Friday or Saturday?
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I know what you mean. I work Wednesday through Sunday, 7PM to 3AM. Usually on weekdays, being a single mom, I stay up until about 7:30AM to get my son off to school, then I sleep from about 8 to 2:30 when he comes home. I'm so glad my local gym has classes in the evening, or I'd never go. It still stinks that a lot of local exercise and hiking meetups on Meetup.com are all done by super early birds. "Let's go hiking 2 hours away! We'll rendezvous at 7:30AM!" Ugh, the world is run by morning people. They took over while we were sleeping in one morning. ;)

Working MFP with the graveyard shift is tough, too. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be counting about my "days", either; for example, if I have a snack at 1AM on Saturday morning, but I've been up working since 7PM Friday night, do I put that as a snack for Friday or Saturday?

I work 6p to 6a. I have only been on MFP for two weeks but I have been logging all of my foods by normal hours. Anything after midnight goes onto the next days calories. I think all in all, as long as you are consistent, it all balances out.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    yes I have that same problem: eating on my days off!! What about exercise? Do you exercise around the time you get up?

I EXERCISE WHEN I GET HOME IN THE MORNING
    I WORK SUN - THURS 10PM TO 6AM
    THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW DAYS LATELY THAT I DID NOT GET MY WORKOUT IN BEFORE I WENT TO BED, SO I DO IT WHEN I GET UP. I ALSO TAKE WATER AEROBICS ON TUES AND THURS AT 3:45 PM SO ON THOSE DAYS I GO STRAIGHT TO BED AND SET MY ALARM TO MAKE THOSE CLASSES. SOME NIGHTS I WALK FOR 20 TO 30 MINS AROUND THE OFFICE. :heart:
  • lisa28115
    Options

I HAVE A FRIEND ON HERE PEACHNPUNKIN WHO IS A NURSE AND WORKS THE NIGHT SHIFTS
    SHE HAS HER DIARY SETUP IN MILITARY TIME.. I THINK HER DIARY IS OPEN
    YOU CAN ALSO VIEW MINE, I HAVE MINE SETUP BASICALY MIDNIGHT TO MIDNIGHT :bigsmile:
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options

YOU CAN ALSO VIEW MINE, I HAVE MINE SETUP BASICALY MIDNIGHT TO MIDNIGHT :bigsmile:

I like the idea of setting it up midnight to midnight. That never even occurred to me.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I like the idea of setting it up midnight to midnight. That never even occurred to me.
    I run my diary midnight to midnight as well. (don't think I labeled it so.) I work 23:00 to 0700 (or 0730 if there is carry over) as well. It is hard to get / Keep routine but I have many alarms set on my ipod touch to keep me on schedule. unfortunately the world is run by daylight dwellers who are out to make me fail.
  • lisa28115
    Options
    I AM SO SLEEPY :yawn:
    THE WATER IS ONLY HELPING A LITTLE :bigsmile:
  • jrmav
    jrmav Posts: 15
    Options
    I also work 11:00 pm to 7:30 am and have worked the night shift for 20 years now and to be honest you never get used to it...i havent anyway. I schedule my meals every two hours. So i eat at 10:30 pm, 1:00 am, 3:30am, 6:00 am, then workout right after work at 7:30 am, have my post workout drink at about 8:30, and squeeze one last meal in at around 9:30. Then i try to get up around 5:00 pm have some oatmeal and whey, do cardio and i usually try to get an hour or two nap before i get up and start all over again. On weekends I just reverse all the times.
  • babyann79
    Options

I like the idea of setting it up from midnight to midnight. I'm gonna try that!
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My fiance is a security guard and is frequently working graveyards. Basically he just eats smaller meals every 3-4 hours and/or as his break allots. If he gets home at 7-8AM, he'll have breakfast with us.