Italian Pasta Dinners

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
I am a type one diabetic, for 24 years....so, the key to blood sugar control for me, is carb intake = insulin shots....

Here is the thing....

My nutritionist wants me to have 45-60 grams of carb per meal....which I can normally do....except for pasta night! We eat pasta about once a week (literally down from once a day when I was younger!), but the carbs for this meal is always so high!

I would normally eat 1-1.5 cups of pasta, and a couple garlic slices, and then a piece of eggplant or chicken and some salad....but the carb count is always 100-150 carbs for that one meal.....if I eat any less pasta, I am starving all night....and I do not think I could eat it without bread. Being Italian, everything was served with a hunk of bread...and I have cut a lot of it out, but when it comes to pasta dinner,, I just cannot do it....

What I am mainly wanting to know is this......when you have a pasta dinner, is it so carb loaded? Or is something off here?

Thanks.....

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 oz of pasta and pile on the sauteed veggies, add 4-6 oz of chicken, salad and no bread.
    You just have to back off the serving size. It's about your health. It's not worth it.
  • jim557
    jim557 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the same issue and a typical Pasta dinner consists of 2 oz. Barilla Pasta (any kind), 1/2c Prego Heart Smart Pasta Sauce and Finlandia Low Fat Mozz and a big hand full of mushrooms. Throw it all together and bake (a french onion soup bowl works great) for 20 mins at 350. Had this with a big plate of broccoli or asparagus with a Turkey Burger. 600 cals and very filling. 61 carbs total.

I know it's not a nice garlic french bread but it does the trick.
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options
    We have pasta most days - I measure out the portions, using around 60grams (dry) for myself. This is more than sufficient and it is for our primi. Then we'll have meat/cheese platter/fish/legumes of some sort etc with a pile of veges (salad, steamed, baked etc) My advice would be to load up on the vegetables.. I try to eat 250grams with both lunch and dinner. Doesn't always happen but it's the goal.

Also, try to make a habit of eating fruit at the table after your meal if you haven't already. It's something I never used to do but have picked up from my husbands family. It helps alot.

I know what you mean about the bread, I have a thing about freshly baked pane toscano! I just tend to not eat too much of it, once small slice is enough now.
  • daddiod
    daddiod Posts: 37
    Options
    I m Italian and been useing Shirataki noodles as a replacement. I like them They have like 20 calories per serving and almost 0 carbs. They are pre cooked but putting them in the frying pan for a few first then sauce helps. I really do like them a lot.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    What I am mainly wanting to know is this......when you have a pasta dinner, is it so carb loaded? Or is something off here?

Thanks.....

If I make a 'pasta', it will never be with the regular pasta due to discovering I have food allergies and sensitivities. I dont miss the pasta, the bread, any of it. And the carbohydrates are only coming from fresh vegetables...

I use things like spaghetti squash, real shirataki, or take zucchini/summer squash and turn it into a quick pasta alternative. Ive used eggplant in place of lasagna noodles for making Lasagna or Involtini...

From your post, it sounds like a carb addiction/sugar addiction.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Thanks.....

If I make a 'pasta', it will never be with the regular pasta due to discovering I have food allergies and sensitivities. I dont miss the pasta, the bread, any of it. And the carbohydrates are only coming from fresh vegetables...

I use things like spaghetti squash, real shirataki, or take zucchini/summer squash and turn it into a quick pasta alternative. Ive used eggplant in place of lasagna noodles for making Lasagna or Involtini...

From your post, it sounds like a carb addiction/sugar addiction.

I love adding veggies to replace extra pasta. I like pasta but usually I'll have half to 1 cup and then FILL my plate with veggies. Sometimes the zucchini noodle thing works, sometimes I just throw some fresh spinach in with the cooking pasta for the last minute or two. It's very satisfying but much lower in calories and carbs, plus you get extra nutrients too!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Have you tried replacing the pasta with something healtier... Example. I have had a REALLY GOOD 'spaghetti dinner' using spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Prepare the squash with a little sea salt sprinkle, scoop out the 'spaghetti' and serve it with a marinara sauce and whichever meat (chicken parm or meatballs). It is filling, fewer carbs (4g per cup) and enjoyable. Slight difference in flavor and texture, but it's refreshing.

I try really hard to remember that pasta is not the MAIN dish (which it was in my household growing up). It was cheap and filling and could stretch a meal for the 6 of us inexpensively, But now I make it a side and serve veggies and a meat dish as the main course.
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    QUESTION: SHOULD WE EAT WHOLE GRAIN PASTA? Whole grains supply more fiber and greater nutrients. Whole grains also tend to have a lower glycemic index which means they don’t spike insulin levels. Most pasta has a low glycemic index, but it depends on how long you cook it. The longer you cook it, the higher the glycemic index. If you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, avoid regular pasta, but there are more choices. Regular pasta: semolina wheat flour (wheat and gluten), moderate glycemic index, good for normal individuals. 2 oz. 200 calories, 1 g fat, 41 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein Whole grain pasta: whole wheat flour (wheat and gluten), lower glycemic index, good for diabetics, heart disease, weight loss, constipation. 2 oz. 190 calories, 1 g fat, 34 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein Spelt pasta: spelt flour, non-hybrid grain related to wheat (gluten), lower glycemic index, may be tolerated by people with allergies, easier to digest, more B vitamins and minerals. 2 oz. 190 calories, 1.5 g fat, 40 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein Brown rice pasta: brown rice/rice bran (no wheat or gluten), higher glycemic index, hypoallergenic, gluten, corn, soy and wheat-free, good for celiac, wheat allergies, IBS, may not be good for diabetics and insulin resistance. 2 oz. 210 calories, 2 g fat, 43 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein Quinoa corn pasta: quinoa and corn (no wheat or gluten), moderate glycemic index, good for celiac, IBS, wheat allergies, heart disease, diabetes, weight loss, higher in minerals and B vitamins, easier to digest. 2 oz. 180 calories, 2 g fat, 35 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fiber, 4 g protein Buckwheat pasta: buckwheat and brown rice (no wheat or gluten), low glycemic index, good for celiac, IBS, wheat allergies, heart disease, diabetes. 2 oz. 220 calories, 46 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein Lentil pasta: lentils (no wheat or gluten), low glycemic index, high in minerals and B vitamins, good for celiac, IBS, wheat allergies, heart disease, diabetes. 2 oz. 190 calories, 33 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein Shirataki pasta: yam flour and tofu (no wheat or gluten), low glycemic index, good for celiac, wheat allergy, heart disease, diabetes, contains soy. 4 oz. 20 calories, 0.5 g fat, 3 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein QUESTION: WHAT ARE THE HEALTHIEST WAYS TO PREPARE PASTA? Add to soup, toss with pesto and herbs, top with marinara, vegetables and cheese.
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Dreamfields Pasta? It has a lower glycemic index & tastes just like "regular" pasta because it is.