Diet Soda Addiction

Options
So I went cold turkey and had my last beloved diet sunkist on friday. I have had a serious addiction to diet soda (around 8 cans avg a day) and it has created major problems for me mentally and physically. But I NEVER anticipated the withdrawal!!! I still have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning so I didn't cut caffeine but I still have had flu-like symptoms like muscle aches, shaking, sweating, nausea... it is SO bad.

Has anyone else bit the bullet and made the big jump like me?

BTW - my friends called my diet soda cans my crack. Go figure.

Replies

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    So I went cold turkey and had my last beloved diet sunkist on friday. I have had a serious addiction to diet soda (around 8 cans avg a day) and it has created major problems for me mentally and physically. But I NEVER anticipated the withdrawal!!! I still have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning so I didn't cut caffeine but I still have had flu-like symptoms like muscle aches, shaking, sweating, nausea... it is SO bad.

Has anyone else bit the bullet and made the big jump like me?

BTW - my friends called my diet soda cans my crack. Go figure.

Good luck to you!
    I gave up soda years ago and for about 10 yrs only drank water and green tea...I got sucked back in..I drink 2/4 cans a day and I can NOT IMAGINE giving it up...

Hang in there!!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It wasn't soda, but I went cold turkey on a major coffee habit. Felt S*** for about six months! It was worth it though.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about aspartame withdrawal. I wish there was a diet soda drinker's anonymous. I think today I'll finally start to stop feeling like I got hit across the face with a skillet.
  • leap314
    leap314 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't give it up. I love diet mt. dew, diet sunkist, coke zero...ugh....It truly is an addiction.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was a diet coke addict for many years, plus I never drank it caffeine free. I finally just said no more and gave it up. I felt crappy at first too. But I ended up losing a little bit of weight too shortly after stopping. I haven't had a single drop of diet coke, or any type of soda in well over a year, might be getting closer to 1 and a half years actually.

I personally feel better not drinking soda.
    Stick with it, you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I could not (would not) live without diet coke!! I felt really tired and deflated yesterday without it. It's my vice!!
  • jmarsha8
    jmarsha8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I gave up diet coke about 3 months ago. I probably averaged about 4 a day prior to my detox. I noticed how much better I was sleeping during that time, and it made me feel less bloated. Those first 2-3 weeks are the worst! Diet coke was my favorite thing in the morning, and I had to start drinking starbucks frapps, the 100 cal ones are yummy. I just can't drink water to wake me up!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing a few weeks ago! I drank it religiously and never believed it was bad for me since it was calorie free and I would drink it to avoid snacking...But it seemed too ironic that I try to eat only whole foods and was drinking all those 'chemicals'! I went cold turkey too (just stopped buying the cans..made it easy because it wasn't around) and have felt pretty good doing so! Nothing changed dramatically but I think it has prevented some serious sugar cravings. I'll admit that I use it is a special treat now and might have one can every two weeks or so. I bought myself a fancy water bottle and use that instead :wink:
    Tea can definitely help fight those cravings, also chewing gum!
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was an 8 Diet Coke a day girl!! I now allow myself one a day, only after I've gotten my water in for the day. It's like a treat! Think of the $ you'll save, pop is spendy these days. Good luck, it's not easy, but your body will adjust.:drinker:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have to have some kind of caffine so I drink 2 cans of Coke Zero a day. I figure with everything else I have given up if I don't keep something I will go crazy, or crazier than I already am. Plus I have talked to a doctor whom I respect who drinks a heck of a lot more diet soda all day than I do and he said the talk about it being bad for you is way over blown.
  • geekrockgirl85
    Options
    I am trying to force myself to have water every time I'm craving a diet soda... definitely a bad habit I picked up when i quit the HFCS sodas to try and be healthier (used to drink ~5 cans of regular mountain dew, and then pepsi max on the diet switch, a day!) The sweeteners are also bad for.. well, everyone, but especially me because of migraines. I do miss the caffeine, and even the taste. but I know it's better to see it as an occasional treat rather than lifeblood. So I'm in about the same spot you are... can't wait for it to stop sucking. ;P
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I did it with Diet Coke. It is tough but you can get through it. I just kept googling and reading how bad it was for me when I was feeling weak. It really helped!
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Maybe that is too quick a withdrawal? It might be better to slowly cut it down. x
  • bethmullett
    Options
    I haven't been able to break it. I can add water to it, so I'm not drinking as much diet soda, but I'm not able to break away entirely yet. I've gone from about 8 cans a day like you, to 2 or maybe 3....I make myself drink 24oz of water before I can have a can of soda, and only water in between. Just the withdraw symptoms alone should tell us how bad it is for us, huh? :o/
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet drinks about a year ago and do not miss them at all. I drink water or lemonade sweetened w/stevia all day. I have not given up my coffee and don't plan on it. I use Land o lakes Mini Moos half & half & different flavored liquid stevia as sweetner.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was a diet coke addict for many years, plus I never drank it caffeine free. I finally just said no more and gave it up. I felt crappy at first too. But I ended up losing a little bit of weight too shortly after stopping. I haven't had a single drop of diet coke, or any type of soda in well over a year, might be getting closer to 1 and a half years actually.

I personally feel better not drinking soda.
    Stick with it, you can do it! :flowerforyou:

There's NO way I'm backing down from this. I losing and gaining the same weight and caught up in this binging and restricting cycle (not to mention my moods are out of control) and it seems to be linked to fake sugars (well sugar too... and I'm cutting that as well so I feel really great right now *sarcasm*)

I keep telling myself "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome" - and I'm REALLY breaking a pattern by nixing diet soda/artificial sweeteners.
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda so I dont know what you are feeling but would making a smoothie with orange juice help at all? Maybe the coolness and orange flavor can seem similar. Good luck and that is awesome that you were able to give it up, you will be MUCH healthier! :-)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i heard somewhere that an apple has as much energy as a soda, so i swapped my 3pm soda with an apple, and never looked back.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OP- I'm with you on this one. I have a major "pop problem" as well. I also drink diet. I tried to give it up and after just a few days, my boyfriend asked me to please drink a Diet Pepsi. LOL. I had a horrible headache, felt sick and was a raging bi$%h. I am now drinking my pop again but try to limit it. I think I had 4 or 5 yesterday. Although this is not good, it is better. Good luck to you and let me know if you come up with any secrets to success!
  • karen0080
    karen0080 Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi Check out www.DietDrinkAddiction.com It might help you. I went cold turkey with Diet Dr Pepper at the first of the year and didn't have any problems. I guess I was lucky.