calling all morning exercisers!!

Options
I cant seem to get my but out o fbed before 7 to work out..what do you all do? what time do you wake up..

A couple of years ago, I use to get up at 5 to work out and lost weight felt great...but now with 2 kids Im exhausted...help need ur advice!!

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I've got 5 kids and wake up at 5.30a.m to get my workout done and dusted. Makes my day easier :smile:
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    I used to be able to get up at 6am every day to go running and I can no longer manage it. Don't know if you have an iphone but there's an app called Sleep Cycle and it's very clever. The alarm on your phone wakes you up when it determines you are at your lightest sleep state - thereby waking you at a time when you should find it easy to get up. I've used it twice and it has actually worked and got me up earlier. But I haven't managed a morning run yet as weather been a bit naff.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    what time do get to bed- I feel so tired right when I wake up...have you noticed its has helped u drop weight quicker?
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    getting up early to exercise used to be rough, but now i love it. it's so nice to get it out of the way. There are still certainly morning when I get out of bed and I just don't feel like doing it, but once I actually get started I'm fine. always happy it's out of the way first thing and don't have to worry about motivating myself to do it later
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, age 4 and 5. I get up at 5 am each morning to exercise. I am starting to enjoy the short amount of free time I have without mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, you get the idea.
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to get up at 6am every day to go running and I can no longer manage it. Don't know if you have an iphone but there's an app called Sleep Cycle and it's very clever. The alarm on your phone wakes you up when it determines you are at your lightest sleep state - thereby waking you at a time when you should find it easy to get up. I've used it twice and it has actually worked and got me up earlier. But I haven't managed a morning run yet as weather been a bit naff.

This sounds awesome! Do you know if there is a similar app for iPad?
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of the other posters have already said. I get up at 5:30 to exercise M-F. Saturday and Sunday I usually just get up whenever if we don't have anything to do right away. That's still usually by 7:00, though. I have 4 kids that are up by 6:00 most mornings. I love working out first thing and getting it behind me. Like someone else mentioned, I love that I don't have to motivate myself to do it later in the day.

One question for morning exercisers: Do you eat/drink anything before your workout? I usually don't b/c then I'd have to get up even earlier. I'm sure it's not the greatest way to exercise but I feel more sluggish and icky when I exercise after eating. :ohwell:
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6, eat straight away and then start working out about 6:30 - 6:45, and I do about an hour, but I only live 15 minutes away from work and I don't have kids (yet, my wife keeps threatening me with them :wink: :laugh: ). I get to bed about 10pm, asleep by half past most evenings. At the weekend, I get up at 8 so I get a bit of a lay in.

I also have to echo Molly182's words, sometimes I feel groggy when I wake up, but I just make sure I get up and within 10 minutes I am fine, and I love knowing I don't have to do it later. I tried it in the evenings but it was just too much hard work for me.

I'll have to point my wife to this thread, she only works four days a week but does ten hour days, so having to be at work by 7:20am makes it a bit hard for he to do it in the mornings. This thread might give her the push she wants!
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    I'm sure you could get it on ipad. Just look up on your apps - Sleep Cycle. It's very interesting as it shows you a graph the next day of your pattern of sleep the night before.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    I don't eat or drink (other than water) anything before as it would just sit heavy in my stomach no matter what it was. I tried it once and I get a stitch if I've had anything to eat. I find so long as I've had a good meal the night before, I'm fine.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I can function off of very little sleep because I go straight into REM sleep. I was waking up at 4 AM to get in an hour workout (leave the house at 6 to get to work on time). Past two weeks, I've been trying to get up at 3:30 so I can fit in more workout. Ideally, I like to be asleep by 1030 (I can fall asleep very quickly), but definitely asleep before 1100.
  • Deboraleeann
    Deboraleeann Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I’ve got a 2 year old, a 3 year old and an 11 year old. I found it almost impossible to kick myself out of bed. I’ve literally just started exercising again (yesterday). I went to hot Yoga class at 6:30 am. Tired not tired, you literally have to have your eye on the prize. Weight loss, health and being there for your kids. Its really hard at first, you aren’t alone. Push through, you simply need to get into a rhythm, not easy to find at first but once you do everything will go so ridiculously smooth.
    Have a beautiful day,
    Debora
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Up at 6:00 -- out by 6:30 a.m. for approx 1 hr of exercise. If I don't do it early, I don't think it would happen. Try to be in bed around 11 and sleeping by 12. Weekends I don't plan to exercise, but will if I'm in the mood or need to allow for extra calories (if I'm going out to eat, etc.).
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 5AM several years ago when my kids were small. (They are now both grown.) It was a time I knew would not be taken by anything else. There really is no secret except you just get up. I do go to bed much earlier than a lot of people but I'm willing to do that in order to feel so good with the routine. If you can find a friend who will meet you, that also makes a big difference. I walked outside with a woman friend for 2 years before we took our exercise to a gym. I could not leave her out in the dark by herself so had to show up. BTW, she and I are still meeting - 14 years later.
  • AngelaR1
    AngelaR1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 2 children agens 3 and 6 and i usually go to bed at around 10 or 11pm. I set my alarm at 6am and most everyday think about hitting the snooze button but i don't. At 6am i am not happy nor do i enjoy getting out of bed as i am not a morning person and never have been, however once i start my warmup of Insanity i am wide awake and ready to go. I feel sooooooooooooo good afterwards knowing that i did it and also i am done my workout for the whole day!!! Just do it!!!
    :smile:
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My family is on such a schedule that I get to bed no later than 10pm, and I am usually up and getting in a workout by 530am. I am the mother of 3 and I find that if I don't get it in before they are up for school I go crazy. It helps me clear my head and take in the silence. I know it seems hard, but when I get up I get my gear on, drink some water with lemon in it, and get a little protein snack before hand. It does get easier.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and a full time job. I get out of bed at 445 to get to the gym by 530, and get to my job by 730. If I worked out in the evening I'd never have any time with my son. My alarm is across the room, my bags are packed and ready to go the night before, and my clothes are sitting out in the bathroom waiting for me. It's just like saying "no" to that second handful of M&M's . . . it takes will power, you just decide to do it. You go to bed at a reasonable time and after a couple of weeks it gets easier.
  • minit54
    minit54 Posts: 27
    Options
    i wake up at 5:30 and workout. I love doing it this way because I don't want to have it lagging and thinking all day about having to go home and do it. I find I'm more ikely to have excuses at 6pm than at 5:30am. I mean come on, I just opened my eyes, there are no pressing things happening and 5:30 nor has my boss gotten a chance to stress me out hahaha. On weekends whenever it is that I wake up I do it as well
  • SaunJay1
    SaunJay1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

This sounds awesome! Do you know if there is a similar app for iPad?

From what I remember, you have to sleep with the phone in the bed with you. So I don't know if sleeping with an ipad under your pillow would be the greatest idea...
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to exercise in the morning too - in fact when my daughter was 3 months old and I returned to work that was the only time I could *really* get in a good workout. But now (a year plus later) I find it super hard to get up in the morning just to go to work, let alone work out. I currently work out two nights a week (DD stays at Grandma's house those nights and hubby has classes) and one if not both weekend days during her nap. I need to start morning workouts though because next month my husband starts studying hard for the bar exam, which means I will be the only parent on call for DD after daycare/work each day!