HRM suggestions

I am going to purchase a heart rate monitor in the near future since I have started running...also it sure would have been nice to know exactly how many calories I burned when I did all 78 minutes of that Jillian Michaels DVD last night. :)

I have been advised by several people to get a Polar FT4. Yes or no? Other suggestions?

Replies

• Any of the Polars are great. They seem to have the most accuracy from the reviews I have researched before buying mine. Whatever model you want will depend on the features you want. I decided on the Polar FT60 due to some added features I wanted. The FT4 and FT7 seem to be the most popular due to price and common features. The Polar site can offer up the differences with features, but you can find them cheaper elsewhere...however it's a great place to research and decide which one fits your needs best.
    I bought mine at a Sports Authority store, so also was able to buy the 2 yr warranty/maintenance plan as well (I am the type that doesn't have a lot of money, so protect all my important investments). It covers changing battery, or even if there is normal wear and tear on the device. If there is a simple scratch on the screen where I don't like it, they will fix or repair free of cost to me :)
  • ctinajoy
    ctinajoy Posts: 6 Member
    I have an older Polar model and I love it! It's very motivational to see how many calories have been burned.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Polar is nice because if you go to a gym, most machines are Polar compatable (meaning it will sense your HR and display it on the machine's screen). That said, my Nike one picks up about 80% of the time, too.

Whichever brand you choose, just make sure it comes with a chest strap. They do make HRM that are wrist-only, but they are not as accurate.

Good luck and have fun! I LOVE wearing my HRM.... it lets me know when I'm dogging it and need to pick up the pace! :)