What's up with this guilty feeling after I eat...?

Options
I have a history of eating disorders. I danced and spun guard, and it was really cut throat. The thinnest succeeded, as the others digressed. I worked my *kitten* off to be thin, and beautiful. I remember passing out at practice because I hadn't eaten in three days. I was actually proud of that, I remember thinking "hell yeah, three days without food? You're ****ing awesome." No. I was not awesome. I was being ridiculous. Anyway, recently a cousin of mine passed away. He was an amazing person, that I loved very much. He was 18 years old. I have recently quit smoking, and I'm working on dropping 49 pounds, to get back to a healthy weight.

Please feel free to look through my diary, as I think I need some help. I eat around 1200-1300 calories a day, and I drink a lot of water. I can actually have two slices of pizza instead of 6, and I really limited myself when Greek Orthodox Easter came around. I just had 5 scrambled egg whites, a slice of toast and a kiwi, and I am FULL. I almost feel guilty about being full... and I know I shouldn't.

I should mention, I'm on slimquick. I know that'll change how quickly I feel full, so maybe that's it, I don't know. I think I'm just kind of looking for some reassurance that it's okay to eat, and starving myself is probably not a good idea. I know what the right thing to do is, it's just that old habits die hard.

Replies

• KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    Sharing some pictures of what I used to look like, and what I'd like to be back to.

199639_1003143633972_1086270053_30026420_6969_n.jpg

197146_1003037551320_1086270053_30023915_9691_n.jpg

196759_1003143673973_7233_n.jpg

In the one below I'm on the far right. If it wasn't obvious.

207876_1003256396791_1086270053_30028186_7239_n.jpg
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    well it sounds like you do know what healthy eating is, and more importantly, isnt. You dont necessarily have to stuff yourself, but feeling somewhere between satisfied and full is a good place to be. The difference is getting to your healthy weight now, as opposed to how you did it before, you will be much stronger and more fit, and actually look even better than you did back then, going days at a time without eating.

edited to add: dont feel guilty for fueling your body and taking care of yourself!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You do not want to starve yourself, because...can you starve yourself for the next 60 years of your life? Is that how you want to live? I know that I did not want to live like that....only eating 1200 calories. Eating, feeling full, then feeling that I look fat!! I am over that, but it was tough to get over....it felt weird to be full! But now, I eat and I do not feel guilty or fat. I even eat crap on Fridays...it is my cheat day and I do not feel guilty!!

So, your body needs food and energy. It is ok to eat. Just pick the right things and the right portions to eat. Do not "diet" make a lifestyle choice.

I think that you are in the right direction. You see that how you lived was not good nor healthy. You can have a healthy, fit, beautiful body by eating food!! ((hugs))
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    First off hi and I believe you are doing great by eating and knowing starving yourself is not the way to go. I read your profile and I see you want to lose 20 in 2 weeks I think that is a little too much to expect for two weeks hon. Try to make it a little more attainable. Im not saying its imposible but dont set your set up to feel bad if you dont reach that in 2 weeks. Secondly I see you state you want your daughter to see that being healthy and fit is the way to go. Try working out with her see if she joins and show her how to eat heatly. I have a soon to be 3year old daughter and when I do weight lifting she lifts some 2lb weights I have she loves it. know dont get me wrong at 3 she loses concentration fast but its funny when she gets into it and tries. LOL!!! just keep doing your stuff and make sure you eat right and you will be great! GL!!

Sorry read it wrong I see you want to lose 20 in 10weeks that is awsome you can do it!!!
  • scubachic77
    scubachic77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are on the right track. I can't believe you limited yourself during Greek Easter! I didn't even log on Sunday because I knew it would be horrific! With that said, since you did log and ate wisely, you should pat yourself on the back. Getting back to a healthy weight is going to take work. Exercise and portions! Keep eating all your calories, I noticed on Sunday you had just over 400 left. Keep it up, it will take time, but the weight you want to come off will.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat!! Starving yourself is definitely not going to do you any good in the long run and, if this helps at all, remind yourself that it will screw up your metabolism and make it easier for you to gain weight in the future. You seem to be very self-aware and "know" that you shouldn't feel guilty about eating, but a history of eating disorders is bound to leave you with some of that messed up thinking. I haven't had an eating disorder, but I know how easy it is to fall into that thinking of "the less I eat, the better". I think most people who have struggled with their weight have that. The thing is, you can do this: you can get back to a healthy and comfortable weight without starving yourself. You can be fit, healthy, and learn to be relaxed about food. It might take a bit longer than you would like (I think that's probably true for most of us) but it'll happen.

I read on your profile that you have grown to hate who you are. It's very sad to read that (although unfortunately I can understand feeling like that!). One thing you have to realise is that those feelings aren't just going to magically disappear when you hit a certain number on the scale. They go a lot deeper than that, you might already know that. Take the weight loss slow and steady, and take some time to work on yourself as well as just your body. Self acceptance and confidence come from within.

Spend some time on these boards and you'll find no end of people who lost weight eating more than the bare minimum. Here's a great thread for a start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation

Oh, and after a quick peek in your diary: eat your exercise calories back! It's not "cheating", it's the way MFP is set up. You're supposed to eat them back, otherwise you're not getting enough fuel. Other plans would count exercise as your lifestyle and give you a higher calorie goal, MFP expects you to net your calorie goal by eating back the cals burned off with exercise.

(edited for typo)
  • nlenz16
    nlenz16 Posts: 73
    Options
    You and I are so very similar! I have lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months and I have found that if I change up my calorie intake per day and almost confuse my body, i lose more weight faster. One day I will eat like 900 calories and another day I will eat 1300. The days I do eat a lot of calories, I too feel sooooo guilty. I have to sit and talk to myself and say "it's ok to eat!" and it is! 20 pounds in 10 weeks is totally achievable! You can do it! And awesome on the pizza thing!! You have more power than I do when it comes to pizza - haha! :smile:
  • KrystleKiri
    Options
    I think that's why I'm sticking to yoga and pilates. It's more than working out, it's peace. It's the one thing I did during my younger years that calmed me down, and brought me to a place in my mind where I was happy. I'm in therapy for a slue of reasons. I love my life right now, but it's rough. Getting dressed to go out is a hassle. I'm close to tears every time. I just look in the mirror and I hate myself. I hate that I didn't care about my body enough to just let myself go. I've been trained to toss a rifle 5 feet in the air, but I can't put down a BAG of oreos!? That's ridiculous. I'm stronger than this.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    as much as i hate to say it that is the norm for me, i feel guilty after every time i eat, i actually cant remember i time i havnt.. kinda sad i guess
  • KrystleKiri
    Options
    aw, honey, well I don't feel guilty EVERY TIME I eat, only when I legitimately feel full. I don't like that feeling. I get really anxious when I'm full, like I over ate.
  • nlenz16
    nlenz16 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm the same way too. Every time I feel completely full or i over eat I cry! No joke. My fiancé gets so mad at me. And getting ready to go out is a task for me as well. I haven't worn jeans since December because of the size they are :/. I am terrified of them. Lol.