ZUMBA - any good?

Options
Hi, my name is Kaila and I am 5"9, weighing 137 lbs. I personally don't think I have an awful amount of weight to lose but I'd really like to tone up and get a hobby at the same time! I do generally like exercise and quite enjoy jogging/power walking outside, but it can get quite boring sometimes...
Has anyone tried Zumba? I welcome all feedback. :)

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun and definitely works up a good sweat. The movements also target everything - arms, legs, tummy, butt, etc. However, if you're relatively uncoordinated when it comes to choreography like me, it can be a little intimidating in the beginning. LOL!
  • chessie273
    Options
    Like you i often find sport can be quite boring. However, i absolutely LOVE zumba - cannot recommend it enough! It can be a very intense workout but it's also really fun so it doesn't seem as much work as jogging for example. See if you can find a friend to go with you as you can both keep each other motivated and have a good laugh at each other's expense!
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA! I've never taken a class, but I've done the videos. I had a blast!
  • msdidlydingo
    msdidlydingo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Zumba is AMAZING - its fun, it exercises the facial muscles as you will have a smile on your face throughout. It can be hardwork and you do work up a sweat but its an amazing hour spent exercising AND you do not have to have a buddy as theres no time for chatter. Highly recommend it, ive been at it for one year and 4 months and have never missed a beat.
  • cerealqueen
    Options
    Yes, Zumba is awesome! Really fun! Different instructors have different styles though, so try a few out and choose which one you like best! Good luck.
  • angella_zumba
    Options
    ZUMBA IS AWESOME!!!! DEPENDING ON WHO YOUR INSTRUCTOR IS WILL DEPEND ON HOW HARD THE WORKOUT IS!! I HAVE MANY AWESOME INSTRUTORS AND GET AN AWESOME WORKOUT!! LOVE IT! I DO IT 3 TIMES A WEEK! MAYBE TRY SPINNING TOO!
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the bomb! :) I used to only do TM and Elliptical before my Zumba days and now if I dont do Zumba 3Xs a week I feel like I am missing out on something awesome...
  • hoosierdrmwever
    hoosierdrmwever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds since starting Zumba, so I am a huge advocate for this type of exercise. It sounds like you might be interested in trying a Zumba toning class. If you go to Zumba.com and click on the link at the top that says "find a class', you can type in your zipcode and use a pull down menu to find the type of class you need. I would recommend going to at least 3 regular Zumba classes before trying a toning class. You'll love it! I promise!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Zumba is tons of fun! It's latin dancing combined with aerobics for a calorie smashing routine! It's high energy, and it really keeps you going. Worth trying out! I've only got Zumba fitness on my Wii, but that's been awesome. Looking forward to trying an actual class.
  • LisaVld34
    LisaVld34 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My name is Lisa and I am a Zumbaholic. So addicting. Don't be intimidated, find a good instructor and GO!! It's the best workout and soooper (in the words of my instructor) fun! Best investment in my life thus far.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Depends on your teacher. I had one awesome teacher that inspired me to be an instructor and I visited another class once, and I barely broke a sweat....so a lot does depend on the instructor.

But I think it is fun. I love teaching it and I never get bored. You may be a little lost at first, but you will catch on. And do not worry about being embarrassed because we were all newbies at one time and we understand the "feeling lost" part...so no one is going to judge you or make fun of you.

You should try it, I think you will like it.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my favorite exercise to do! I got my first introduction to it in 2008 and have loved it ever since. I have a music & dance background, so it was a natural fit for me.

It can definitely be intimidating at first for new folks, but as long as you keep moving & grooving, it's all good! Putting arms & legs together can be tough so just focus on the feet first.

I would recommend checking out Youtube for Zumba videos first to get an idea of what classes & routines are like.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Zumba is AWESOME! But it is also what you make it. You can go high intensity and low intensity as well. You are working out and toning more then you know and it also helps with cardio. There are a bunch of routines on youtube to try out before you go to a class, its on of those hidden workout routines that people don't realize works. Good luck!
  • nay1228
    nay1228 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I completely agree about the different instructors, though. My instructors are fabulous, but I have been to others that I didn't care for at all.
    You definitely get a great all over workout. I only started mid January, but wish I had started a long time ago.
    Give it a try.....heck...give it a few tries if you need to, but I am sure once you get going you will love it!
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba on the wii and I love it. If you like dancing it's pretty fun and the wii gives you feedback on how you did how many calories you burned and tracks your weight and stuff. Pretty cool!! :happy:
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Zumba sucks.

i think i might be the only person on the planet that hates it. but it's true (for me, anyway). Sometimes I'm waiting for my kickboxing class to start, and the women coming out of Zumba either look like they just got finished putting on their make-up, or like they just got beat up. I never understood why there's such a difference in effort.

I'm not coordinated, and that's part of my problem. Give me a kickboxing, boot camp or Body Pump class any day over Zumba. To me, those are REAL workouts.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have become addicted to Zumba. It is a great workout even for those with no coordination.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i did zumba when i first started - twice a week for about 4/5 months
    Really good cardio and helped drop the weight faster however can't say it did much for toning
    Even when i did the actual zumba toning the weights are too light - personal experience/opinion!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Depends on your teacher. I had one awesome teacher that inspired me to be an instructor and I visited another class once, and I barely broke a sweat....so a lot does depend on the instructor.

I've had this happen too. There are some great instructors and some not-so-great. I kind of 'know' all the instructors in my area now and only go to the classes of ones I know will give me a great workout.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm ADDICTED! Awesome workout but you dont feel like youre working out! LOVE to dance!