Do they count?

Options
I was just wondering if most people count their veggies and lettuce with their daily calories? I know some diets say you shouldn't because you need them and don't want you to stop eating them to lower your calorie intake. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cindy

Replies

• susieqa6699
    susieqa6699 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I record everything that I eat. Whether it be the 5 jellybeans and greek yogurt that I had for dinner, or the fabulous salads I make for lunch.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your body counts them.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I ONLY COUNT THE CALORIES FOR THE THINGS MY BODY DOESN'T NEED I HAVE THREE CATEGORIES IN MY FOOD DIARY THEY ARE MOTOR OIL ROCKS AND WASHERS AND WHEN I SAY WASHERS I MEAN THE LITTLE METAL RINGS NOT LIKE A CLOTHES OR DISH WASHER THAT WOULD BE SILLY
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I usually count them. A lot can be insignificant, but I do like to get counts on the nutrients they provide.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if most people count their veggies and lettuce with their daily calories? I know some diets say you shouldn't because you need them and don't want you to stop eating them to lower your calorie intake. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cindy

They count. But if you avoid high-cal dressings and oils they're very low calorie and awfully good for you.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If I bite it, I write it. :happy:
  • Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    I add them, because I like to keep up with my potassium intake, etc.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I count all vegetables, because I want to make sure I get enough fiber and potassium.
  • erinscribbles
    erinscribbles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to make a life style change and learn how to eat properly, you should definitely count them. Many of us have been eating far too many processed foods with very little nutritional values to really count for the amount of calories they are.

I use my calories as a gage of when I am done eating. I track Fat, Carbs, Fiber and Protein to gage what I should be eating within that calorie limit. Tracking the fruits and veggies has actually encouraged me to eat more of them. In tracking everything I found that I was only eating half the fiber I should be. At a 1310 calorie limit I don't have enough calories in the day to add more whole grains so I have to increase my fiber with fruits and vegetables. This is how I should be eating for the rest of my life, if I didn't track, I would have never come to that realization.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes I count them. Your body needs food veggies, but it also needs fat and protein too, and you count those I'm sure! I guess the key is, don't be afraid to eat what your body needs, just because it has a calorific value.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

me too, down to chewing gum
  • downhomechik
    Options

That would be a good quote across the top of this site....IF YOU BITE IT: Write it!!!!
  • pinkjellybaby
    pinkjellybaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been recording mine but find it annoying how much carbs is in them! It makes me feel like not eating them when I know it's more healthy for me to eat carrots rather than half a pitta bread but the carbs is the same!