Fit Bit Question

Options
I have been looking at different HRMs and since the Fit Bit is connected with MFP I thought that would be the beset choice to go with. But my question is, does it log all the walking I would do throughout the day and automatically count it as exercise? As a personal choice, I don't count daily activity (ie, walking to classes, playing with the kids I nanny). To me that doesn't count as exercise (some of you may think otherwise).

Also, what are your general thoughts of the Fit Bit?

Replies

• Chxplyr
    Chxplyr Posts: 2
    Options
    i love the fitbit. yes, it counts everything. yesterday i went hiking. i didn't actually go for very long, less than 2 hours. when i got back home my fitbit congratulated me for climbing over 25 stories. i thought that was cool. it connects with myfitnesspal automatically , so its about as easy as it gets.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at different HRMs and since the Fit Bit is connected with MFP I thought that would be the beset choice to go with. But my question is, does it log all the walking I would do throughout the day and automatically count it as exercise? As a personal choice, I don't count daily activity (ie, walking to classes, playing with the kids I nanny). To me that doesn't count as exercise (some of you may think otherwise).

Also, what are your general thoughts of the Fit Bit?

I love my fitbit. If you're wearing it, it counts whatever steps you take or stairs you climb. It takes into account a lot of things that I normally wouldn't (like mowing the lawn last night). For me, it's more about the steps & activity level than the calories. I also like that it measures my sleep, since I have sleep apnea, it give me an idea about how the night went.
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that the FitBit is not an HRM.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It does count everything you do but the adjustment it gives MFP (ie how many calories you burned) is what is OVER the amount MFP has in for you for your activity level. As we are more aware, we do more moving than we used to even if it isn't traditional exercise.

(For example, I noticed when I'm set as sedentary, I actually don't get any adjustment until I've gone past 5,000 steps for the day. This is because MFP has already figured that as your daily activity level).

The above poster is correct though. It is not an HRM. Some exercises are better off being measured by an HRM and overriding your fitbit calculations. Having said that, fitbit is great for measuring your overall activity level and for walking activities.
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It does count everything you do but the adjustment it gives MFP (ie how many calories you burned) is what is OVER the amount MFP has in for you for your activity level. As we are more aware, we do more moving than we used to even if it isn't traditional exercise.

(For example, I noticed when I'm set as sedentary, I actually don't get any adjustment until I've gone past 5,000 steps for the day. This is because MFP has already figured that as your daily activity level).

The above poster is correct though. It is not an HRM. Some exercises are better off being measured by an HRM and overriding your fitbit calculations. Having said that, fitbit is great for measuring your overall activity level and for walking activities.

Hmm.. Alright. I think I'm going to look up some other HRMs.

What are the most popular HRMs?
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd like to know that question as well. What is the best for logging calories burned? I've been looking for something but then just get overwhelmed so then I stop. I guess there is a lot to learn! :)
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be a popular brand for HRMs here. There are a few others but this one pops up a lot. Do a search for that and you will get lots of info. It is overwhelming at first.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I set my activity to sedentary (which I am at my job) and then just let Fitbit calculate the rest for me. I know there are days when I actually work out harder than it says but I just let it count that and go from there. I have lost 30lbs since Dec. 20th, so it must be working somehow.

Good luck!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    HRM is just for an actual activity such as a walk, time on an elliptical or other machine or workout. It is not meant to wear all day like bodybug or fitbit. I like the motivation I get from my fitbit to just move!
  • mamakayy
    mamakayy Posts: 36
    Options
    Even though the fitbit isn't a HRM, I really like having it in addition to one. I like being able to say, oh dang I was a little lazier than normal today, better take the dog for a walk tonight.

I do still use a HRM for workouts other than walking, and input that manually.
  • angemarie23
    Options
    I'm looking into either getting a FitBit or a Polar HRM. If you could only afford to buy ONE, which would be most beneficial when just starting out?
  • mamakayy
    mamakayy Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm looking into either getting a FitBit or a Polar HRM. If you could only afford to buy ONE, which would be most beneficial when just starting out?

That depends on what you want to know.

General daily activity=fitbit
    Working out at target HR/accurate cals burned for workouts=HRM
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Even though the fitbit isn't a HRM, I really like having it in addition to one. I like being able to say, oh dang I was a little lazier than normal today, better take the dog for a walk tonight.

I do still use a HRM for workouts other than walking, and input that manually.

Ooh I love this motivation angle. I hadn't thought of it. Like a status check so you can make course corrections before the day is over!

You can get a decent HRM much less expensive than a fitbit. You don't need it to be the best or have the most features to suit most people's needs. I would get a less expensive HRM and then save for the fitbit rather than an expensive HRM OR a fitbit.

Edit: just make sure the HRM has a chest strap.