Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

More exercise and gaining weight?

Hi,
All my life I have struggled with my weight (seems to run in the family..). At my heaviest I was 196lb (not good) so decided to do something about it. I began going to the gym, eating healthier ect. and got down to 140lb which I have maintained for a few years by limiting my carb intake, running (45 mins a week, 3 times per week) and strength classes (1per week)
I have recently changed my routine around and am now doing 3 spin classes a week (1hour), 1 kettlebell class (1 hour) and 1 weight training class (1 hour) and have kept my diet pretty much the same. I got on the scales yesterday and got a shock when I realised I had gained 13lb?? I know the old theory that muscles weighs more than fat but really, 13lb in 7 weeks??
Is this normal?

Replies

• Bump
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    You said you're limiting your carb intake, but are you tracking your calories as well?

Also, I know you're shocked at the 13 lb difference, but more importantly how do you look and how are your clothes fitting?
  • Thank you for your reply!
    Not exactly counting calories but I don't eat any junk, my daily diet would be
    Porridge in the morning and some fruit
    Lunch - a chicken salad
    Afternoon - fruit
    Dinner - Grilled chicken and a medium size portion of vegetables or salad..
    I have to admit I do slip up at the weekend but surely that cant undo all the good work during the week?
    My clothes are fitting pretty much the same, except I have have noticed trousers are tighter round my thighs.. I thought I looked good until I stepped onto the scales now all I see is fat! Very demotivating! :(
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    13lb would be a lot of muscle to pack on in 7 weeks, it's also more than water weight would usually account for.

All I can suggest is that you start tracking your caloric intake and your measurements. (Maybe open up your food diary - without seeing the numbers everything is guesswork)
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Thank you for your reply!
    Not exactly counting calories but I don't eat any junk, my daily diet would be
    Porridge in the morning and some fruit
    Lunch - a chicken salad
    Afternoon - fruit
    Dinner - Grilled chicken and a medium size portion of vegetables or salad..
    I have to admit I do slip up at the weekend but surely that cant undo all the good work during the week?
    My clothes are fitting pretty much the same, except I have have noticed trousers are tighter round my thighs.. I thought I looked good until I stepped onto the scales now all I see is fat! Very demotivating! :(

Did you take into account that you are building muscle which weighs twice as much as fat?
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    I think it can, depending on the severity of the "slip". to put on 13 lbs in 7 weeks does not sound normal to me - are you sure about your calorie intake? It's easy to guess wrong if you are not weighing/measuring your food. If you ARE sure about that, then the next thing I would suspect is something wrong with your scale!
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    [/quote]

Did you take into account that you are building muscle which weighs twice as much as fat?
    [/quote]

HUH?????!!!!
  • [/quote]
    then the next thing I would suspect is something wrong with your scale!
    [/quote]

I was thinking (hoping) this myself lol
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I am going to start a food diary and try to keep my weekend "slip ups" to a minimum.. I suppose as long as my clothes are still fitting and comfortable I don't have to worry too much..