Calorie intakes

Options
2»

Replies

• ghsamia
    ghsamia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Most of the information I've read advises against going under 1200 calories a day for a female. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories to function properly. Maybe try to get in some higher calorie fiber at the beginning of the day, such as oatmeal. It may not be a healthy suggestion, but I often mix 1/4 cup of oatmeal in 1/3 cup of pancake mix. It keeps me full longer and gives me fiber. Hope this helps. :happy:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    One day certainly wont hurt you, any more then one day of overindulging would. But its a. good idea to stick close to the numbers the program gives you. Its set up so you can succeed.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So how much should the intake be each week for someone wanting to lose one lb a week?

I don't know about the whole week but I upped my calorie from 1200 to 1475 (daily). I exercise 4 days a week and am still averaging a pound a week. On days that I work out I usually don't eat all my exercise calories back. On days that I don't work out I don't find it difficult not to go over my calorie count and still am satisfied and not hungry through out the day. I say play with your calories for a little while until you can find a nice balance between losing the kind of weight you want and not being hungry all that time. Starving yourself, for me, is the quickest way to binge. Good luck.
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks Natasha - glad this thread is up! I am wanting to lose weight/tone up in a healthy way and definately not wanting to binge!
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ok, I know everyone asks it & it must be annoying but please can someone just help me understand this.

MFP set my daily Calorie Intake at 1200.

taking today as an example:

so far i've eaten 1367 calories.
    burned 585 calories doing cardio.

so 1367-585 = 782 (is 782 the net here? should I eat another 418 calories to take the net back up to 1200 and would that help me lose 1.5-2lbs per week, which is my goal weight to lose per week?)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Target 1200 + 585 exercise - 1367 calories eaten = 418 calories "in hand" which some people would say you should eat, others would say eat a percentage of them, others would say eat your BMR etc etc.

So don't expect one answer.

Yes, 1367 - 585 is the "net calories" as I understand it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You need at least 1200 calories for your body just to function

but you don't have to eat them all if you have fat reserves to use as well.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    ok, I know everyone asks it & it must be annoying but please can someone just help me understand this.

MFP set my daily Calorie Intake at 1200.

taking today as an example:

so far i've eaten 1367 calories.
    burned 585 calories doing cardio.

so 1367-585 = 782 (is 782 the net here? should I eat another 418 calories to take the net back up to 1200 and would that help me lose 1.5-2lbs per week, which is my goal weight to lose per week?)

If you want to maintain the same defict, for the same weight loss goal that you set up on MFP, and your calorie burn is accurate, then yes, eat them - eat until your "Remaining" calories on your diary page are at zero.
  • gracielulu1985
    Options
    "Don't eat when not hungry" Aint that the truth!!!

I have been trying to stay away from bread. I dont think I will ever go back to regular bread or ICE CREAM! Weight Watcher ice cream and Skinny Cow from now on. :)
  • hydrocannon
    Options
    I know you're not supposed to eat under 1200 cal a day or you'll start to lose lean muscle (read this online not 100% sure if it's true). I am currently eating 1400cals on rest days and 1600-1800 when I workout and basically burn 300-400 calories so my net is still over 1200 :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    do not go under 1200, that can do damage to the body over time.
    the less calories you eat the longer it will take to lose weight due to your body storing calories to maintain functions.
    once you lose weight, if you are doing 1200 or 1250 you should be able to go into maintenance mode to maintain your weight where you can eat around 1700 or 1800.