bananas

Options
brendaj39
brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
Question,,,I've been hearing that bananas are bad for you when you're dieting...they keep the fat around your belly.
Any one else hear this. If I don't have a banana at least 2 or 3 times a week, i feel terrible, like aching muscles.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    They are very high in sugar. As long as you take that into account, they are also a great source of potassium. Not bad for a diet, but there are better choices out there.
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    They're a nutritious part of a healthy eating plan if you account for the calories. If it's just about the diet...there are better options. At our house we dwell on nutrition and incorporating healthy calories into our bodies. Some people find it easier to stay away from certain foods and bananas is one of those that tend to be on that list.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people say, because I eat bananas every day and have lost 75 lbs. I love them and they are great before a workout
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people say, because I eat bananas every day and have lost 75 lbs. I love them and they are great before a workout

Every time I eat a banana before I run, I feel a lot more energized and I feel like I have more endurance. I only eat 1 a day and really I'm not worried about any sugar I get from fruit. Fruit has a lot of benefits to it
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also eat a banana every day and it's not hurt my progress any.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love to eat bananas before or after my runs. There may be better choices, but it's fruit and better than eating a candy bar!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Question,,,I've been hearing that bananas are bad for you when you're dieting...they keep the fat around your belly.
    Any one else hear this. If I don't have a banana at least 2 or 3 times a week, i feel terrible, like aching muscles.

I totally disagree. I eat them every day for potassium which I struggle to get enough of.

I also eat them as my nutrionalist suggested them. I just work them into my overall daily plan.
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    Bananas are on my bad food list the doc gave me for my migraines, so I dont have them often, but I do try to fit them in my diet for the potassium
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to seriously dislike bananas, but now I crave them! Is this my body telling me I need more potassium or something? And I don't see anything wrong with them, they are a natural food.
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Banana is my favourite fruit, i have one everyday :)
    Usually with a small dollop of almond butter, or in a protein shake. yum
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I gotta have them for the potassium. Haven't noticed them being problematic.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Lost alittle weight eating bananas everyday so as far as I am concerned they are great source of potassium.... Love them....
  • creativeweighs
    Options
    I've lost 60 pounds myself, and I have a banana almost every day! I eat them when they are still a bit green...the more ripe they are, the more carbs they have (it seeps in from the peel). They are great post-workout!
  • andreamallarinocorry
    Options
    The best fruits to eat are green apples, pineapple(natural diurectic and will clean your bowels like a broom), avocado in moderation, orange or tangerines. staying away from bananas, strawberries and grapes. hope it helps a little.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you are at during this weight loss journey. I have a significant amount to loose, being severly overweight. I went to a Nutritionist who has been helping me these past few weeks. She advised me to not eat bananas at this time due to them turning into sugar (carbs) in my body. I love Banana's. Like, a couple a day. They are a great fruit, unless you need to watch your sugar intake for weight loss. She showed me a chart of fruit, and how it changes in the system. I am still eating a good amount of fruits daily, but she would advise me to go for the “berry kind”. Strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, etc. NOTE: I am not picking a fight with anyone over a banana. If you want to eat it, then that is your choice. I will avoid them at this time. Again, not looking for a fight- just passing along some information that I was given. Most people that have to watch their sugar intake will tell you to watchout for Bananas and other starches that turn into sugar. Good Luck !!
  • ghsamia
    ghsamia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They are not the best fruit choice. According to an article I read by Jillian Michaels, bananas, watermelon and mangos are not the best choices for fruit. While they have health benefits, her article suggested saving them for the occassional indulgence. :happy:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've been told many times the same thing...that they are bad for you when you're trying to lose any fat and lean out. I cannot stand those types of people to be very honest. I LOOOOOVE bananas, I have to eat them. I don't eat them everyday and not many of them but they are on my top of favourite fruit for sure. Don't listen to these people. I did for awhile and it drove me nuts. For my oatmeal, I'll add either a whole banana or half and save the other part of it for later. They are good for you. And i know sugar is sugar but it's natural which is better for your body if you're going to consume sugar. It has a lot, sure, but it's natural source...it's fruit. I heard it's bad to eat them after a workout and that it's better to eat them before it, though....because of what's in the banana and it doesn't mix well with recovering muscles and it's slow acting so it won't restore worked muscles in time and the type of sugar isn't the best for that. I'm not sure. But before a workout, for sure is fine.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    The best fruits to eat are green apples, pineapple(natural diurectic and will clean your bowels like a broom), avocado in moderation, orange or tangerines. staying away from bananas, strawberries and grapes. hope it helps a little.

Stay away from them? No. They're fine to eat.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can't eat them, they make my tummy hurt.
  • andreamallarinocorry
    Options
    spcially if you tend to gain weight due to hashimoto disease and certain foods just don't help. although one banana occasionally is ok and just focusing on the ones that act like a broom in your stomach like green apples, pineapples......:happy: