what is more effective? Jillians 30 day shred or running?

Options
What should I do? Like Jillians excercise but it gets booooring. Running is no fun either but I can take my tab and watch another episode of "lost" while I am running. WHat is your opinion about it?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    more effective for what? what are you trying to achieve?
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    if 30 day shred is getting too easy for you or is getting boring, change it up and do something else. Most of Bob Harper's DVDs are $5 now and they are some really good stuff.
  • sylwiasta
    sylwiasta Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    burning calories!!! ;) I need to lose some inches of fat (especially around my waist and thighs) and just get in better shape :) my goal is to lose about 10lbs
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I get bored with Jillian, too. I find that the shred workouts are more fun to get through if I listen to my MP3 player while I do it. After a couple of days, you don't need to hear what Jillian is saying anymore; you've pretty much got the routine down.

My personal opinion is that running alone would be more effective for weight loss alone, but the shred is more effective for weight loss and toning combined.

Again, that's my personal opinion from personal experience!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Why not alternate days- one day 30DS, one day running? Less chance of boredom- plus, from what I understand, Jillian says 30DS isn't really supposed to be done everyday.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was about to ask how you could watch something while running, because I was picturing you running outside like I do. Then I realized that you probably do it on the treadmill, and it makes sense! Whatever you put more effort into will be the most effective. They're both good exercise if you're going all out.
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    Whichever you like more because you will be more likely to do it and not half-a** it.
  • BMcLeodTeam
    BMcLeodTeam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you like Jillian's DVD but its getting boring, change it up! She has a bunch of different DVDs out there :)
  • ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Running is way more effective, if you challenge yourself. If you go for an easy 25 minute jog it's going to be about the same calories burned as Jillian.

I do about 2 days running, 1 day 30DS to make sure my arms are getting worked as well as my legs.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would hybrid the two. 2-3 days of each a week for best results.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think Jillian is the devil. I just started her 30 day shred yesterday for the first time and man I am out of shape. But I feel today muscles I didn't know I had, and I believe that doing this in addition to my usual walk / run on the treadmill will get me to my goals.

I think cardio is important for maintaining but Jillian really pushes you to work other areas without having to go to a gym. I love it!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Do something different... Ever tried Insanity?
  • Lori12885
    Options
    Check out Cathe.com. She has over 100 DVDs to choose from. They are a lot of fun and challenging. Cathe is very motivating.

Hope that helps.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would have to say running but agree with previous poster on alternating days running/30DS. That is what I will be doing to try to get the best of both!!
  • kimber53171
    Options
    I say alternate. I have thought about running too, even though I've always joked that if you see me running you should call 911, but I'm stuck. I currently do zumba, taebo or the FIRM and all are good workouts, but the weight is just not coming off and I have about 45 lbs. to go. I think running will get your 10 lbs off pretty quick, but I'd still keep Jilian in the rotation to tone up.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If 30 day shred is getting easier, increase the weight and do the movements a little faster. Especially if you already know the moves, there is no need to wait for Jillian to introduce the move and then do it...just go right into the next move. You can also alternate between running and 30DS that way you are getting more variety.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Check out Cathe.com. She has over 100 DVDs to choose from. They are a lot of fun and challenging. Cathe is very motivating.

Hope that helps.
    I find Jillian and running fast intervals the most effective for me.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do both! I do the 30DS every morning and then 3-4 nights a week I go to the gym and run.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well, you can't beat running for sheer burn power, so if your main interest is burning calories, then running is it.

I personally didn't get much out of the shred. But I do lift anyway, so it was a bit daft to try adding it in, I guess.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    BOTH. That strength training will tone you up, and the cardio is good for shedding weight. I found both cardio and shred to be the best combo.

Also, I think you would LOVE Jackie Warner's workouts. I have one DVD that contains 15 min workouts for upper body, lower body, total body and abs. You can also do a 45 min total body workout. I like to choose one of the 15 min workouts and then supplement with cardio. And she's nice! She tells you that you can do it instead of telling you that she wants you to feel like you're going to die. haha