what should i do???

Options
Hi everyone,
I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet for about a month now, and i've been losing pretty consistently so far. I'm super diligent with my diet, always right around 1200, and yet when I got on the scale this morning I had GAINED A POUND! I just started some strength training last week, but obviously there is no physical way that I gained a pound of muscle in a week, so WTF is up?? Should I stick with what I'm doing and hope for better results next week, or should I change something? HELP PLEASE! :(

Replies

• leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates all the time so dont worry about it. Unless you ate 3500 cals then you didnt gain a pound. Stick with what you're doing and aslong as your measurements are not getting bigger, then youll be fine :)
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    also check your sodium levels on the foods your are eating, you can go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

and add sodium as one of the nutrients that you are tracking. sodium is basically salt, salt makes you retain water, water = weight
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out ...this is normal! Your weight will fluctuate a bit due to all kinds of things. Just keep doing what you're doing. Hang in there!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    its possible you gained some muscle or your body is holding on to water. If you are strength training 1200 calories is no where near enough food though. I would suggest you increase your calories on days to lift weights
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I always show a gain around my TOM...maybe that is playing a role. Seriously, I would not worry about a pound...especially if you only saw the increase once.
  • kelliekait
    kelliekait Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I've calmed down a little bit now. Just to be working so hard and staying so on track and to see no progress was a little bit devastating. But I'm going to keep plugging along, thanks for the encouragement :)
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If I start strength training or up my weights, I gain a pound or two the first week that is gone after 2 weeks. It's almost certainly water weight, because strength training stresses muscle, causing small damage to incite musclegrowth. Damaged muscle swells as part of the repair process.