Passed out after workout!

Options
I started 30DS this morning, within ten minutes of waking up. (Got twin 2yr olds. Gotta fit it in when I can.) Because I woke up later than planned, I stopped after 12 minutes. Got a little dizzy, which has happened before. (Used to throw up at the end of tae bow videos because Billy Blanks doesn't know the meaning of cool-down.)

Anyways, I got a sip of water, hoping it would help calm my stomach. Then in the shower, I had to sit down. Felt really bad. I couldn't focus well enough to see my towel on the back of the bathroom door. Barely dried off, and had to lay down on the bed soaking wet before I fell.

Came to with the sound of rushing water in my ears. I thought it had started raining outside. But it was in my head.

What caused this? Did I work out too early? I had not eaten anything, but I don't think this was blood sugar dropping. That makes my hands shakey and face sweaty. Maybe I just didn't notice those things because I was moving and working out.

I like 30DS. I'll do it again later today, since I didn't finish. Just curious what made me black out.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would definitley suggest eating something prior. I think you may have done too much too quick.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I didn't actually pass out thankfully, but I was very close. 30DS is intense if you aren't used to working out hard. Next time, try to have a piece of fruit or some toast and peanut butter and a glass of water before you workout. I find that a small snack gets me through without that dizzy feeling. Also, modify some of the moves if you need to. Keep working at it and it gets easier but don't push yourself so hard that you harm yourself. Good luck!
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Sounds like your blood pressure dropped suddenly, since you didn't let yourself cool down. I agree that you should eat something before working out.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    In addition to eating, I would go visit or at least call your doctor and inform him of what your plan is regarding exercise. Have your numbers checked (BP etc.)
  • morganmce
    morganmce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This happened to me once at the gym! If you're not eating an hour before you work out, try to have some Gatorade at least. I used to think the whole G series thing was bogus, but it works. I'm on meds that makes it hard for me to hold down food, so i would always have the Gatorade 01 (preworkout), and keep a bottle of gatorade with me at the gym
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I suggest you talk to your doctor.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I used to always get dizzy and nauseated during aerobic exercise. What really helped was my breathing!!! Strange enough I would always get dizzy and nauseous during the "cool down", not the high intensity part. Once I focused on my breathing and made sure I was breathing in through my nose and out my mouth it made a world of difference. Also, if you hadn't eaten anything before exercising then eat some healthy carbs an hour before. That helped with my stamina.
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    Blood pressure....didn't think about that. I think I'll make an appointment with the doctor. Thanks.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    In addition to eating, I would go visit or at least call your doctor and inform him of what your plan is regarding exercise. Have your numbers checked (BP etc.)

^^^^ This.

Dizziness can be caused by a lot of things, you could be low on available calories, dehydrated, coming down with a cold, or have far more serious issues like blood pressure or even diabetes or arterial issues.

It's almost certainly nothing, and probably just a little dehydration and/or calorie deficit, so I wouldn't get worked up about it.

For now, I'd recommend you back off the intensity a bit (you burn nearly as many calories at a lower intensity anyway, and you can sustain lower-intensity workouts longer with less stress to the body), drink plenty of extra water, and skip the before-breakfast high-intensity stuff. At least until you've had a chat with someone you trust with the letters MD after their name and gotten their opinion on some bloodwork.

They'll probably tell you to drink a couple of glasses of water and have a snack before working out. But there's an outside chance they'll have the opportunity to catch something that can be dealt with easily now rather than waiting for it to become something more serious than the occasional lying-on-the-bed-wet enforced nap.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I black out a few times working out...always take my blood pressure....when it is low, i eat some salt. Always help. If it is not low, I eat something.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If you are a diabetic, it's good to check your blood sugar before you exercise. If it's like 90 or less, don't exercise. Eat something to raise it up. Exercise drops blood sugar. If your blood sugar drops below 70, it can cause you to be sick.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You need to visit a doctor... there is no advise that anyone here can give you which can explain that.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You need to visit a doctor... there is no advise that anyone here can give you which can explain that.

I agree.