bananas

Options
2»

Replies

• leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana+frozen strawberries+Greek yogurt+mini chocolate chips+food processor=LOVE! Even better than ice cream! Im sure ice cream is worse than one little banana :)
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    Love them before my workout! :)
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lost alittle weight eating bananas everyday so as far as I am concerned they are great source of potassium.... Love them....

just a little weight??? wow! that is awesome...

I eat them just about 2-3 times a week, they make feel better when I have like leg cramps and such. I know they are high in sugar but I do calculate them in my calorie intake. I know when I'm hungry before a work out I like to put a little peanut butter on it, it seems to give me the needed energy to do my best.

Thank you all for your advice. I love this place...:smile::happy:
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana+frozen strawberries+Greek yogurt+mini chocolate chips+food processor=LOVE! Even better than ice cream! Im sure ice cream is worse than one little banana :)

yum, I think I will for sure have to try this, I'm a big ice cream lover, thanks for recipe
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Question,,,I've been hearing that bananas are bad for you when you're dieting...they keep the fat around your belly.
    Any one else hear this. If I don't have a banana at least 2 or 3 times a week, i feel terrible, like aching muscles.

You feel terrible because you need the potassium and magnesium in the bananas. You CAN get these from other sources. Magnesium is especially implicated in the sore muscles part. Almonds, cashews, and most beans are good sources of magnesium. Potatoes are another good source of potassium, as are most beans.

CALM Natural is an excellent magnesium supplement that might help with the muscle pain if you really don't want to eat the bananas http://www.calmnatural.com/

That said, I don't see any reason not to work the bananas into your diet if you like them.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The best fruits to eat are green apples, pineapple(natural diurectic and will clean your bowels like a broom), avocado in moderation, orange or tangerines. staying away from bananas, strawberries and grapes. hope it helps a little.

Sorry, it doesn't really help me at all - there is not enough info here to make an informed choice. What are the reasons for staying away from bananas, strawberries and grapes?
  • FitLink
    Options
    The best fruits to eat are green apples, pineapple(natural diurectic and will clean your bowels like a broom), avocado in moderation, orange or tangerines. staying away from bananas, strawberries and grapes. hope it helps a little.

Sources please. What, exactly is wrong with bananas, strawberries and grapes? What is magical about green apples, pineapples and avocados?
  • FitLink
    Options
    They are not the best fruit choice. According to an article I read by Jillian Michaels, bananas, watermelon and mangos are not the best choices for fruit. While they have health benefits, her article suggested saving them for the occassional indulgence. :happy:

What does "not the best" mean? WHY are you (and she) suggesting bananas, watermelon and mangoes are bad? What about them is bad, that other fruits don't have? Another poster has put strawberries and grapes in the same category--"not the best." This requires more evidence than just "Jillian says."

A varied diet seems better than a less varied diet. I don't see where limiting which fruits you eat is healthier than eating a good mix of fruits.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Question,,,I've been hearing that bananas are bad for you when you're dieting...they keep the fat around your belly.
    Any one else hear this. If I don't have a banana at least 2 or 3 times a week, i feel terrible, like aching muscles.

They're high in sugar, but so are most fruits. Take that into account and, if you choose to eat them, try to eat them before or after exercise where the sugars will be burned off. They have a decent amount of potassium which is also beneficial while working out.

Bananas and potatoes, both starchy but nutritious and healthy parts of balanced diets, seem to be getting a bad rap on the boards of late. I eat both. I'll let the number of pounds lost speak for itself. A potassium deficit is far worse than a little starch in your diet.
  • skylarlburke
    Options
    Bananas are very healthy. Potassium is a necessary nutrient because it regulates your heart beat. I don't think there is anything wrong with eating them, especially if you feel bad without them.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a banana at least 2 or 3 times a week, i feel terrible, like aching muscles.

The Potassium in bananas helps keep muscle soreness away. What you need to take into account is that they count for 2 of your daily fruit servings. So if you eat two bananas in a day (or a banana and some other fruit) you could be going over your daily allowance. At least that is what my nutritionist told me. I will usually eat a banana right before my workout on my strength training days (twice a week).
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every morning for a workout because it gives me energy and isn't too heavy on my stomach. It also keeps the water from sloshing around in my stomach. They are great!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every day with my protein shake. Love them. Yeah they have sugar but there is nothing wrong with sugar either.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i eat bananas most days and im doing just fine!!
    i think if you took notice of all the things that are meant to be bad for you / will kill you / will make you grow another head there would be nothing left for you to eat lol