Goodbye wine :(

Options
Giving up wine today and giving up excuses for not exercising. Any tips or advice is welcome.

Replies

• Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When you don't feel like exercising, thats the time you need to go the most. =) Trussst me.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Giving up wine today and giving up excuses for not exercising. Any tips or advice is welcome.

Personally, I exercise for wine (wine is what I use a few of my exercise calories on). But whatever works for you... :)

The only advice I have is play around with some exercises and see what works for you. And don't forget to drink lots of water. If you have access to a trainer, take advantage of them and their advice.

If you haven't exercised really hard in a while, and especially if you haven't had an annual physical in a while, it's worth checking in with your doctor before starting any kind of hard-hitting regimen.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Is there a connection between your giving up wine and your weight loss/fitness goals, or are you giving up wine for a different/separate reason? I would hate to see you give up something you like and enjoy in moderation when you don't have to in order to achieve your goals.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    There is no reason you have to give wine up completely. I still allow myself one 4-5oz glass per week. I can have almost anything I want, in moderation. As for exercise, if you MAKE yourself do it, soon it will become habit. You may even look forward to it. I finally do!
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Good luck, you can do it. I have not had a Budweiser since March 7 and that is a huge victory. When I have a couple of drinks now, I drink Bacardi and Coke Zero. I account for the calories but am eliminating the carbs beer has. Though I still long for an ice cold Bud from time to time, I have been holding my own.

You can do it!!!
  • vichs
    vichs Posts: 6
    Options
    Wine is actually good for you, on small quantities - having said that, if quitting wine will give you the boost and motivation you need to do what you have to do, then, by all means: GO FOR IT! :-)
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    you can do it! especislly if your mind is ready. If it's because you drank too often, believe me, you will feel so much better and you will lose weight faster than you would believe possible. Good luck, and always keep in mind ... why
  • newfiechick61
    newfiechick61 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every day of the week and I just love it. However there are some days that I just don't feel like going but go anyway and I always feel so good once my workout is done...whoo oo:blushing: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Why giving up wine? I drink a glass a couple of times a week. Wine is very good for your body just include it in your calories for the day.
  • ezrahartman
    Options
    I gave it up for a few months too. Wanted to see if it made a difference. I lost 16 lbs so far (since 2/22). I truly don't attribute it to the wine, though...I think it's my clean eating, hard working out and determination. I had a drink this past weekend and added my merlot in MFP and it was 85 calories for 6 oz...so, it's not bad in moderation. Good luck!
  • vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I probably have a glass a night or so, but i switch to hard stuff and a diet mixer most of the time.. I drink it as part of my exercise calories.

I am a wine freak, I was responsible for creating many wine lists for the restaurants/bars I managed, So i probably can't give it up 100%

I've heard that the presence of alcohol in your system keeps fat from being burned, and also that alcohol slows your metabolism. I'm not sure if either statement is true though.

LOTS of people on here dont diary these type of liquid calories for fear of judgement, but i log everything I eat and drink. Scan back in my diaries, i created an "unhealthy" category just for stuff like this... and my weakness for chocolate.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up wine? Unless you feel like you *need* it and have a problem with it, there's no need to cut it out completely.
  • bditty187
    bditty187 Posts: 14
    Options
    Why give up wine? I have some some form of alcohol almost everyday, a glass of wine, gin and (diet) tonic, beer, etc. Hasn't affected my weight loss, down 45lbs since 02/01/12. Going to the gym will get easier once you start.
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why give up the wine? I am a huge wine lover! But since trying to lead a healthier lifestyle, I only drink it when I really want a glass - once in awhile with dinner or maybe with a nice, hot bubble bath and a good book. If you try to cut something out entirely, you may not have as much success as if you try to moderate yourself. Good luck! :)
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My beer or glass of wine tastes 10x better AFTER my workout. seriously! There's nothing wrong with a treat.... the excuses for not exercising, that's different ;-) no excuses!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    meh I gave up wine for a few months...bad idea. Now I just have one glass on Sundays. Makes me happy :) no need to give it up completely!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    this motivates me. make sure to watch the video on the bottom:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/

and you couldn't pay me to give up wine. am average of a glass or two a night can be good for you.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are asking why the OP is giving up wine- I'm curious as well but it doesn't really matter. They're choosing to give up wine for their own reasons...I'm personally a huge wine lover but if the OP feels like it gets in the way of their goals then that's all the reason they need :flowerforyou:

As for the exercising someone mentioned that you should especially go when you just don't feel like it...I totally agree! I always feel best when I drag myself kicking and screaming out the door. Not just because of the exercise, but because I overcame my own whinyness! Good luck!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can have wine.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I havent given up wine, or even considered it...I figured I needed to do something to allow it a place in my diet.

I hate the idea of making myself exercise. Until i found one that I was happy to do. I commute to work about 20 miles per day and now ride on the weekends as well. Now, if I cant ride I want to do something else to help improve my riding.

It is all about what works for you...