Goodbye wine :(

Options
2»

Replies

• mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Wine has been a staple since Biblical days. I would not use exercise as an excuse to give it up or blame the wine for weight gain. In moderation it is a gift from the Big Guy's Son (Think: Last Supper).
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ok- I know this sounds totally silly, but it worked for me--
    I would have a glass of red wine some nights- and to cut it out of my diet I would just have that same wine glass with seltzer instead.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can have wine.
    Me too :drinker:
  • glow7
    glow7 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have found that if I just decide to do ten minutes of exercise...it gets me going and puts my mindset in the right direction for everything else.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ok- I know this sounds totally silly, but it worked for me--
    I would have a glass of red wine some nights- and to cut it out of my diet I would just have that same wine glass with seltzer instead.

This. I like drinking out of a pretty glass. Wine is my kryptonite....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are asking why the OP is giving up wine- I'm curious as well but it doesn't really matter. They're choosing to give up wine for their own reasons...I'm personally a huge wine lover but if the OP feels like it gets in the way of their goals then that's all the reason they need :flowerforyou:

As for the exercising someone mentioned that you should especially go when you just don't feel like it...I totally agree! I always feel best when I drag myself kicking and screaming out the door. Not just because of the exercise, but because I overcame my own whinyness! Good luck!!

agreed, but many of us have gone through the "oh, this thing is my biggest problem, so i'm going to cut it out completely," only to binge on it after having been deprived from it for a while.

so many people, myself include, preach moderation, especially in the beginning.

alcohol was definetly one of my hurdles. i would have a beer or two when i got home, half a bottle of wine with dinner, and two scotches for dessert. i have considerably weened myself down to about one alcoholic drink per night. except pasta night. that calls for a half a bottle of wine, lol.
  • rcnajjar
    rcnajjar Posts: 1
    Options
    Give up some carbs; eat more veggies and meat; keep the wine! I have one 3.5 oz glass a day. I count it and count on it.
  • Susan1548
    Options
    Unless you think you have a problem with alcohol, why not limit your wine to say... two glasses on the weekend?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I say, DON'T BE A QUITTER! (unless you have a binge drinking problem and can not control your wine consumption.)
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My tip/advice is to not give up the wine! Exercise, eat within your calories and save some room for wine.
  • RebsOnTheRocks
    Options
    I could use you as a friend, we could try this together! I love exercising and I love wine, but somehow I always make an excuse for the first one to go and do the latter!
  • fbichick
    fbichick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a fitness guru tell me one time if I did nothing else to change my life-style, the way I currently feel is as good as it will ever get for me. That didn't feel good to be told that but I needed to hear it and it made me stop and think about what I was really doing to myself. Good luck! I struggle daily but I make myself do it and I feel better and sleep better as a result.
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If this is for weight loss reasons, there is absolutely no *need* to do this. Moderation, careful planning, changing a few habits and calorie management with exercise will all mean that usually not too much needs to altered.
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have also cut WAY back on wine. I used to drink a bottle a night, 5-6 nights a week. Seriously, I can't believe that was me. Now I only have alcohol on the weekends or at social events, but only have one or two glasses at the most. My husband and I are strick about drink driving, so if I feel weak, I will volunteer to drive so I can only one glass with food.

I also plan it in advance. I have 200 happy calories per day that could be wine, or calories that I gained back through exercise.

It's amazing what a difference it makes. I no longer feel sluggish and crappy. I now realize the alcohol was sabatoging my life and energy.

Diet coke is my other weakness, so if I feel like I really want something, I have a caffeine free diet coke instead. Weird, but it does the trick.

Good luck!
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You'd have to pry the wine bottle out of my cold dead hands first!

Just kidding, I used to drink a bottle or two per week but I started taking some prescription medication and didn't want to end up like Whitney. I've gotten used to only having it once in a while and it's not that bad.
  • starlike99
    Options
    This site is incredible. Thanks for all the support!!! I love my wine, but thought I would have to give it up.
    I'm taking the advice I asked for, and limiting myself without giving it up. And getting to the gym, even when I am tired.
  • mkmacon
    mkmacon Posts: 3
    Options
    I hate the thought of not having wine most nights of the week. Does anyone know if a lower alcohol content wine has fewer calories?
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Personally, I exercise for wine (wine is what I use a few of my exercise calories on). But whatever works for you... :)

[/quote]

^ this.

Good luck with it though! Push through the soreness the first few days!