Week 1 gained 1 1/2 pounds, help!

Options
ChiJenn
ChiJenn Posts: 100 Member
I started Chalean Extreme last Monday, started Shakeology last Thurs. been keeping track of all calories since last week and I gained 1 1/2 pounds. I am very sad this morning and don't even feel like exercising today because of the dumb scale. I am 40 yrs. was 155.5 now 157 today, I am 5'6" and was following a 1400 calorie a day plan I usually was at 1500 or so, trying to get it down to 1400 but it is hard. Am I eating too little calories? Too many calories? I did Chalean 5 times last week as suggested. Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started Chalean Extreme last Monday, started Shakeology last Thurs. been keeping track of all calories since last week and I gained 1 1/2 pounds. I am very sad this morning and don't even feel like exercising today because of the dumb scale. I am 40 yrs. was 155.5 now 157 today, I am 5'6" and was following a 1400 calorie a day plan I usually was at 1500 or so, trying to get it down to 1400 but it is hard. Am I eating too little calories? Too many calories? I did Chalean 5 times last week as suggested. Any help would be appreciated

I'm not familiar with the Chalean Extreme and Shakeology you mentioned but is it possible you built muscle last week? How do you feel?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

Your body just needs some time to adjust. If you have lowered your calorie intake, and upped your excercise level, you will lose weight. Some people see results right away, other's it takes a while.

But you have to keep working at it.

And I would suggest you limit your weigh-ins. We see too many women who live and die by the number on the little machine. Instead, think about how you feel and what your body is telling you. Not always will that scale tell you something positive, but if your muscles ache from working out, or pants are a little less snug, or you're able to lift and hold your child in your arms slightly longer...you are making progress.

Slow and steady and you WILL get there!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm up this week too...don't give up...it works!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A week is too short to determine if your gain is from water, etc.....give it more time. If you're up after 30 days, yes, but anything less I wouldn't be too concerned..
  • bullet1
    bullet1 Posts: 61
    Options
    Yea, a week is hardly enough time to adjust to anything. Follow a plan for a month and see what happens. Water weight is most likely the culprit for the weight gain, give it time, your will be thankful you did.
  • Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    according to a BMR calculator yours would be around 1450 so you said you eat around 1500 and exercise with Chalean with a rough estimate of a 250 calorie burn (generous estimation)

So 1500+250= 1750 1750-1450= a 300 calorie deficit it takes 3500 calorie deficit for a pound to come off so
    3500/300=11.5 so you would lose a pound ever 12 days or roughly 3 pounds a month

So even if you worked out every day and only ate 1500 calories thats how much you would lose- you either need to work out more or eat less... or both depends on how fast you want it to come off. I have a bmr of around 2000 eat around 1100 cals/day and do 800- 1000 calorie burns 5 times a week and i lose around 4 pounds a week.
  • EnthusiaLove
    Options
    The tyranny of the scale. It will drop you so low but it really does not mean anything. A body has mood just like people do. It will feel like holding water one day or letting it go. Muscles weight more than fat. Rome was not built in a week-slow and steady win the race. AND love, you gotta love yourself into a healthier body. Do feel sad or angry. Talk to your body like it was your beloved baby.
    Remember the scale has no power over you. Increase self love and release attachment to the scale. Be kind to you. You are a miracle and a dog gone scale will not change that-right?
  • Marlenymm
    Marlenymm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It may be because you've gain muscle. Muscle weights more than fat. Keep going you'll start to lose the pounds soon.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Dont get down, I drink shaklogy each morning and I am doing Couch to 5K every other day. I noticed that a few days after I started the running I gained 3 pounds! It took me a month to get that off I was so upset. My couch told me that your body has to retain water to repair the muscle tears that occur during exercise. In a couple days I was back down to normal and I have since lost 2 more pounds. I will say though if I eat processed food or alot of sodium my body punishes me by holding on to water weight. Good luck hang in there
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Maybe your system is just umm backed up. I find that when I gain a pound and I know I shouldn't have it's just because of waste that hasn't been expelled.
  • ChiJenn
    ChiJenn Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I feel sore! Like the muscles are working! to reply to the person at the top.

Thanks for the help, I did exercise today and am drinking my shake now. I will hang tight and hide the scale for a month!
  • Jbradbury1964
    Jbradbury1964 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I found that you should not weigh yourself the first couple of weeks when you start MFP. What you gained is only water or muscle so don't sweat it...you will lose. I eat to lose weight and it is working. Since Valentine's Day I have lost 23 lbs! I weight once a week, same time, same clothes (or not lol) but do it the exact same each week. What you do today will not impact your body for another couple of weeks so do not think its going to show right away.

Look for loose clothes, more energy...things like that. Take care and remember:

Be patient and be good to yourself. This is a life change not just a diet! Good luck my friend!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm not exercizing as much as I need to, but I've found if i eat 1400/1500 calories before I put a lot of muscle on, I always gain.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!