Too much sugar?

Options
I love love love cantalope! I eat it every morning but according to MFP, as soon as I eat it I'm done with sugar for the day. Is this something I should not be eating? I eat 1-2 cups a day.

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with all fruits. My "allotment" of sugar is 30g.

My routine daily meal is very fruit-heavy. My apple (10g), my banana (12g) and my clementine (7g) plus the carrots in my daily veggies (4g) means I've already blown past the allotment. My breakfast (half bagel with cream cheese) adds 5 more, and the sesame sticks in my trail mix add another.

So I'm 9 grams "over" and I haven't had supper yet!

I largely ignore fruit in my calculations of "sugar", or at least I don't worry if they are the majority of my sugars and I'm not over by much. They tend to have lower glycemic indexes, I'm eating them over a long period of time so I don't get big spikes in blood sugar, and they come with other nutrients I need. I also tend to eat the banana right after my workout, so I get the benefit of the potassium in addition to it leveling off my post-workout "crash" and staving off hunger for a while, making the afternoon calories last until supper.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Unless your sensitive to sugar (diabetic) fruit sugars are not really bad for you. I asked my trainer (who is also a nutritionist) about it a few days ago and he said that the sugars from fruit and refined sugars are used differently in your body, and basically said that as long as you have a normally functioning pancres (again not diabetic) these are good sugars to eat.
  • lschaivone
    Options
    Have tried Strawberries ?
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    no one ever got fat eating fruit as I have seen and heard said many a time and I believe it is true I eat as much fruit as I want it's natural sugar easily digested e.t.c I honestly wouldn't worry
  • dixie3379
    dixie3379 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I figured it was ok but since MFP kept going in the negative so quickly, I figured I was eating the wrong fruit.
  • cindalinka
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight I would still watch your sugar intake from fruit. Once you have reached your goal slowly add the sugary fruits. I understand that sugar from fruit is 'natural' but it is still sugar. It is slower to increase your insulin levels due to the high fibre content. Look up Jorge Cruise on You-tube. Very interesting. There is a lot of new research coming out about the effects of sugar on weight gain, hypertension and dementia to name a few. Starting to look like sugar is worse for our bodies than fat was believed to be.
    Best of luck!
  • lillina12
    Options
    You could try subbing a less sugary snack for some of the cantaloupe. But if the cantaloupe is already subbing for something even higher in sugar and/or more processed, I'd stick with the cantaloupe and disregard the number. I eat a lot of fruit too, but hardly any other sweets and I find it a healthy way to eat.

As some of the others have said, though, if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, the answer is probably different.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I figured it was ok but since MFP kept going in the negative so quickly, I figured I was eating the wrong fruit.
    Don't even track sugar in your diary if most of it comes from fruit. Instead, track sodium and fiber.