Bountiful Baskets: Cheap Healthy Veggies

Options
I know this has been discussed in here before but I feel its worth bringing up again. For all of you wanting healthy choices for food you should check out Bountiful Baskets. They are all over the US. It is a food co-op that pools together money an buys tons of vegetables in bulk and then they distribute them to all the participants. For just $15 bucks the wife and I get two huge baskets filled to the brim with local fresh farm produce and other stuff. Its great for healthy snacks and meals and so much cheaper than some of the chain markets. We even get introduced to weird stuff we never thought of cooking.

I look forward to picking up our yummies every other Saturday. Between them and Sprouts our refrigerator is never missing fruits or veggies. To see if there is a Bountiful Baskets in your area just simply check the link below. Try it out and you will be a happy person!

http://www.bountifulbaskets.org

We love it and thank our friends all the time for sharing this secret with us lol.

Replies

• TainaLeirmoe10
    TainaLeirmoe10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I HAD NO IDEA, THANK YOU!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    They dont have one in Ohio :(
  • jennis82
    jennis82 Posts: 76
    Options
    That's awesome! But they don't have it in my state:(
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can Google CSA's in your area (Community Supported Agriculture) if you don't have access to Bountiful Baskets. I belong to one in NH that is just beyond fantastic!! We get weekly deliveries of a HUGE amount of veggies, including lots of things that are new to us (pineapple husk cherries are amazing things!!). I cannot wait for the start of the season this year- especially the asparagus... There are also local meat CSA's, which we might check out this year as well- a great way to get your grass fed beef and humanely raised poultry and pork. I need to get a third freezer, lol!!
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ditto, but I/we been using our ;local Coop more lately.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I was getting all excited, but they're not in my state, will have to look for other local options. :) thanks!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Bountiful Baskets are one of the largest, but they aren't the only Co-op. If they aren't in your area just look around, you should be able to find at least one in your area.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    Bummer no Maryland or Delaware! This sounds like a great idea though.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    great concept, not in my area though. i did google CSAs as another suggested above, and found a farmers market about 5 miles from my work though! I will check them out once the growing season is underway! (in Maine)
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information! I've googled CSA and have found a very enthusiastic and knowledgable coordinator/manager of a thriving garden lending/local food production community! I'm excited to get involved, learn more and support such a great cause.