gall bladder issues

Options
2»

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There is a definite link between weight loss and gall bladder stones. This article explains it as well as any other I've seen: http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/gallstones.htm#weightloss

I had the same problem and had my gall bladder removed. My experience was totally positive. I had the laparoscopic surgery and was back at work within 2 weeks. The bile helps break down the fat in our diet. The gall bladder simply stores the bile until it's needed and then contracts to squirt the bile into the duodenum where a lot of digestion takes place. So yes, if you don't have a gall bladder you would probably feel sick after eating a big greasy meal. I don't like big greasy meals so this is no worry for me.

I'm not convinced that a cleanse can get rid of gall stones; it would depend how big they are etc. If you have gall stones and eat anything fatty, even "good" fats like olive oil, there is a chance that a stone could get stuck in the bile duct and cause a painful attack. Worst case scenario, in quite a few people the ducts from the gall bladder and the pancreas come together to form a common duct. If a stone gets stuck there, it also blocks the digestive enzymes from the pancreas which could lead to pancreatitis and possibly permanent damage of the pancreas. Not good. And even if you can get rid of gall stones this way, there's no guarantee that more couldn't be formed.

Of course it's everybody's personal choice what they want to do. My only recommendation would be to work with your doctor; get a second opinion if you aren't sure and make sure your information comes from scientific, evidence-based sources.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me if your gallbladder is functioning at less than 30% on the HIDA scan that it needs to be removed.

I agree you do need to watch fats because of the dumping problem. I've had issues where it backs up into my stomach and caused gastritis.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had a gallbladder attack-it felt like labor- and I didn't know what it was. I was sick for a week and finally went to the dr. My symptoms were hard to describe and I wondered if I should even be at the dr's. I was nauseous, constipated feeling, and felt like something was wrong, but it was hard to explain. The dr. almost sent me home and then ordered a sono-gram. They found a golf-size gallstone and I had surgery the next day. The surgeon said that gangrene had set in and I was fortunate that I went to the dr when I did. I was eating healthy and a normal weight and I exercised. I asked him what I did to get gallstones and he said, "It's either genetics, or bad luck." There are a lot of people in my family who have had gallstones and their gallbladder removed. I haven't had any problems after surgery. Hope this helps.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Really, the gall bladder removal is a very simple procedure. It's about 45 minutes and I recovered very well.