Strength training ????

Options
I know everyone has their own opinion but does it REALLY matter what order I workout in?? Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it depends.

For example: Doing deadlifts before benching might hurt your benching, but not generally the other way around.

I doubt it matters much if you do shoulder press or squats first... But squats are great for warming up most the body so I like to start with them, at least.

If you aren't lifting heavy enough to be wiped, or you're able to mix cardio, you likely aren't working hard enough in either for it to matter much.
  • angie_sample
    Options
    everyone argues about this, but this is what i do. i do 10 minutes on the treadmill just to kind of warm up then i do 30 minutes of strength training and then 30 minutes of cardio. Ive been doing this for a while and i've lost a total of 71 pounds. So i say it works for me. But every body is different and i really dont think the order matters as long as ur doing the work :)
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Start with large muscle groups and compound movements first. Compound movements take multiple body parts so you want your peak strength to keep you form thoughout the whole movement.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has their own opinion but does it REALLY matter what order I workout in?? Thanks!

It kinda' does to be honest. If you're looking for strength gains you'll want to do your compound movements first, before isolation exercises. For example, if you're doing a chest day then Bench Press -> Dumbell Incline Press -> Dumbell Flyes. Example 2 if you're doing an upper body workout with focus on the Bench press then something like,
    a. Bench Press
    b. Dumbell Bench press (flat, incline, or decline)
    c. Upper back work (chin-ups and / or rows)
    d. Shoulder (deltoids) work (shoulder press or lat raises)
    e. Traps (Shrugs, DB or BB)
    f. Elbow flexors (biceps): curls of some kind.

Just examples, but order does help.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Start with large muscle groups and compound movements first. Compound movements take multiple body parts so you want your peak strength to keep you form thoughout the whole movement.

^ This
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do agree.. order does matter... a quick cardio session for warm up, then lift, then cardio to end the session.. I'm still working out the proper order myself.. Keep at it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do agree.. order does matter... a quick cardio session for warm up, then lift, then cardio to end the session.. I'm still working out the proper order myself.. Keep at it!

The only issue with cardio after is you are using energy to do cardio that is needed to help repair muscles. cardio is competing for calories with your cardio this way. This is fine for most people but if you goal it to retain lean mass or gain lean mass can be counter productive.