anyone start running and ...

Options
the weight started dropping off?
its not happening to me:laugh: but I am just wondering...

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    For me, it was more that running sculpted my body so that it's a lot trimmer than it had been at similar weights in the past.
  • OrientalGem
    OrientalGem Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been running....not jogging, full on running. its been about a month, the only difference I see are the sculptured calve muscles. I'm also starting to wonder if running makes a difference at all. I run 2 or 3 times a week for about 15-20mins - sometimes on the treadmill, when its too hot outside. Maybe you have to run everyday to actually drop weight, or maybe run for a longer time - like an hour or something.
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    A good jog should help burn the calories, unless you are training for an event theres no real need to run. As long as you maintain a good jogging pace over a decent distance. I do a a mile and half 4 days a week. Initially when I started a sensible diet and jogging the weight fell off, but now I'm stuck at 238lbs:noway: but I now need to change my training to help. I think I will try some upper body workouts as well:bigsmile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Running is an efficient way to burn larger numbers of calories, that's all.

Even at slower speeds, running is fairly intense exercise, however it doesn't "feel" as hard for many people as exercising at a similar intensity with another type of activity--bike, stair climber, for example. Therefore, they tend to do more, which is why they see better results--but its about the increased calorie expenditure.

Doing any cardio for only 15-20 min, 2-3x per week is going to give limited results.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    luckily for me, yes. I haven't lost many actual pounds, but the inches are flying off and my clothes are fitting much better. I had to get rid of some stuff that is FINALLY too big. All I'm doing is the couch to 5K, 3 days a week. No strength training, no other exercise other than the occasional walk on "off" days. And eating (mostly) sensibly. I feel very lucky. :bigsmile:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    well thank you. I know the amount of calories I burn in the short amount of time is huge compared to other cardio ( HRM told me so :laugh: ) I am having a hard time keeping up with the calorie intake. I have been running at least 2 miles at a time, last night it was 3, so give or take. I also do weights 2 x a week. Anyway, I was just wondering what other people have noticed. Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Actually I had a 5 pound gain. Then It went away. I haven't lost a lot of weight but I have lost a lot of inches (5 inches off my stomach 2 off my thighs and my knee fat:laugh: ) in about 2 months. My time was 25-30 minutes 3 times a week. I did walking intervals and taebo the other days.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I've just started running but the weight hasn't dropped off yet, although I started with that same hope. Or more specifically, hope that inches will drop off.
    I asked around quite a bit about shedding the last bit of fat and almost everyone said, "run!" so I'm running.
    I've only just started (sat, sun, tues, sunday) outside in the last week - maybe 3k - and also did about 50 minutes on the treadmill mid-week. I'm going to keep at it as it has been a nice change getting outside, I really noticed that I was feeling it in different muscles which is good, and I was due for a change in routine.
    I understand that running outside in particular is great as you use a lot of your stabilizers which gives you a better all-over and core workout, and anything that engages your stabilizers does a better job of sculpting muscles. An example is free weights vs weight machines - apparently same holds true for indoor running/biking vs outdoor running/biking. Almost unnoticable inclines & declines and uneven terrain, on & off sidewalks all require stabilization.

When did you start running? I'd love to hear back what sort of results you get!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For the first few months of running, my weight stayed exactly the same. However recently its been pouring off (YAY!). I did however drop numerous pant/shirt sizes during the time the weight loss was stagnant.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I've just started running but the weight hasn't dropped off yet, although I started with that same hope. Or more specifically, hope that inches will drop off.
    I asked around quite a bit about shedding the last bit of fat and almost everyone said, "run!" so I'm running.
    I've only just started (sat, sun, tues, sunday) outside in the last week - maybe 3k - and also did about 50 minutes on the treadmill mid-week. I'm going to keep at it as it has been a nice change getting outside, I really noticed that I was feeling it in different muscles which is good, and I was due for a change in routine.
    I understand that running outside in particular is great as you use a lot of your stabilizers which gives you a better all-over and core workout, and anything that engages your stabilizers does a better job of sculpting muscles. An example is free weights vs weight machines - apparently same holds true for indoor running/biking vs outdoor running/biking. Almost unnoticable inclines & declines and uneven terrain, on & off sidewalks all require stabilization.

When did you start running? I'd love to hear back what sort of results you get!

I Started back in June, and had to stop when the heat outside got so badly, after about a week off I started inside, and figure I will stay in for another month. . I wasnt doing it just to have weight fall off, I am not naive, I was doing to shake things up, which it will in fact do, and hopefully in turn , keep things moving. I am trying to avoid a plateu ( however you spell it).
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You have to interval run somehow to see better results. The longer you do the same run for the same amount of time the more your body becomes accustomed to doing it. I dont know when or how you run. But you need to add hills. Add bursts of speed on a run. Try a short very fast run and then a longer slow run on another day..hills though are the best!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I started running in April and have lost 22 lbs. I contribute that to healthy eating. Now, I have also lost 8 dress sizes. That I contribute to running.

I run 3 days a week - two 4 mile days, one 7 mile day (my long run which I am slowly increasing each week)....sometimes I run 4 days if I want to add extra training in there (like a tempo run or hills). I only run outside but wil probably go to the gym in absolutely impossible weather.

I have more muscles than I used to....I can see them where there used to only be jiggly fat. I know that muscles weigh more than fat, so I stopped worrying about the weight and started paying more attention to my body.
  • tiffsallrunout
    tiffsallrunout Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time runner. Weight loss is all about cals in and cals out. If you burn more than you take in, you loose weight. Most people that train for their first marathon gain weight. They forget to keep track of the cal in and cal out. They think because they are running more they can eat more, and it's true, but only to a point. So, watch what you eat!

To burn the most calories in a run, do sprints. The burst of energy required to get your body moving will = more cals burned. Just don't spend to much time recovering, or it won't do the job.
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    This is so true! I am training for my first marathon right now and had that mind set when I first started. I run 45 to 50 miles a week and really still need to watch the cals or I gain weight. Also, I have def lost inches but the weight, not so much. Running really has helped my body become more muscular and to shed off the fat in my stomach, but I have not seen a whole lot of weight loss.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, that is sure encouraging! Lost inches, more muscles and shed tummy fat - I'm in! Thanks for sharing that, I'm going to try to keep at it. I'm far more motivated by those results than the scale.

Good luck with your first marathon, blum0133 - what an impressive goal! How long have you been running?
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    Well, im only 21. I didnt run in high school and I have been an off and on runner in college. The longest I would go would be maybe 5 miles. This is my first marathon and I started training 5 months ago (so, maybe my info is not all THAT encouraging since it has taking me that much training to finally get results but nothing happens fast!). It is really fun and if you get in to running I would REALLY suggest doing a half marathon because it is so much fun! Having a training program to follow also helps you to not slack off with working out AND you are running for a reason! :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    for the first few months NOTHING. running requires a slightly different fueling process than other cardio exercise so after tweaking some meals and doing a lot of reading it is starting to come off. This week was 5 lbs so I have no complaints! :happy: