excess belly and love handle jiggles

Options
I am by no mean over weight..just a little soft in the mid region which keeps me self conscious and not looking forward to bikini season. Does anyone have any suggestions on what types of activities to incoporate into daily excercise that will target that area and firm it up besides your crunchs and such? i ususally do an hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of weights with abs tacked onto that... i am also a conscious eater but something isnt quite right because i am not seeing any results... getting frusterated enough to higher a trainer. hope you can help. Cheers

Replies

• KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am by no mean over weight..just a little soft in the mid region which keeps me self conscious and not looking forward to bikini season. Does anyone have any suggestions on what types of activities to incoporate into daily excercise that will target that area and firm it up besides your crunchs and such? i ususally do an hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of weights with abs tacked onto that... i am also a conscious eater but something isnt quite right because i am not seeing any results... getting frusterated enough to higher a trainer. hope you can help. Cheers
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any perfect way to target fat from one area. Yes, you can tone those muscles which will help some, but if you are like me, the last fat you'll ever lose is that in your belly. I'm an apple, that's just the way it is. From my thighs down, I'm skinny, but my belly and love handles...they're the last to go :(
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have you read the South Beach Diet book? Great way to lose the midsection, good food, great info. Also, pilates are good too. with the two together I lost 3 inches in my waist in 2 weeks. Its also simple to maintain. I read the book in 3hours. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I have the EXACT same problem!!! I have done hours of net surfing trying to figure out how to slove this dilemma. I think there are so many factors that have much to do with it. Age(I'm 36), if you've had babies(I've had 2), how you eat, how fit you are, genetics. Some people have great mid sections but bigger thighs or buttts, just the luck of the draw.
    I thought about getting a trainer but decided not to shuck out the $ b/c I have proper technique and I have diff routines I rotate every 6 weeks. I know how to eat and I don't need motivation, my belly IS my motivation.
    I work out 5- 6 days a week, weights 3-4 times a week. Weights is at least 30 minutes, cardio is 45-75 vigorous minutes(depending on my schedule). I really don't have that much weight I want to lose. I just want to be "cut". I feel like I should have more improvement than what I got going on. So I'm upping my cardio and I'm changing my strenght training to incorporate circuits. I did this today and I was dripping in sweat and it kicked my *kitten* :laugh:
    I think as humans we are our own worst critics. So right now I have to be ok with the fact that I am healthy and strong, and I feel better than I have in 20 years, and just sweat some more.
  • niamhb
    niamhb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    do you eat much bread and dairy? I've had to cut them out because of IBS and I have noticed a difference in my stomach size (I usually look pregnant)
  • reinah
    reinah Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree. My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac disease so she can't have gluten or wheat. I got tested too because I always felt bloated and had stomach pain. I tested positive 2 out of the 3 tests. So I have joined her gluten/wheat free diet. It was hard at first because I am the carb queen (I am married to an Italian!). But I have noticed less stomach problems and my stomach looks less bloated.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    crunches and situps will tone the muscles under the fat, but they will not and can not get rid of the fat. Cardio is the only thing that can diminish fat, and where that fat comes from depends on your body. From your photo, it doesn't look like you have much fat anywhere else, so I would guess that some intense cardio will help out with the tummy pudge :bigsmile:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i have bad news, its been posted a lot of times on here that it is actualy a myth that you can target weight loss, unfortunalty, you loose the the fat where you gained last,

i agree with kerrilucko, best thing is to put on good cardio sessions.

may
  • Aprilina
    Aprilina Posts: 12
    Options
    My friend and I are doing hip hop abs with sean T, wich is ab work and cardio, and it has been doing wonders for us. Look it up on line. And it's soooo fun to do.:tongue:
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    Everyone will post different methods that they use...all have the same things in common, burning of calories through some sort of cardio/training routine. Never been one to get into fads, I keep mine simple. Do cardio to shrink the fat off your body (everyone has abs), do 5 sets of 25 crunches daily. Got my sixpack that way, no funky diets, dance routines, or weight ball exercises.
  • KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i agree. Digestion is key to feeling good about ones self. I have switched to eating rice pasta and consuming goat cheese and yogurt and have noticed a huge difference in the bloated feeling i used to have. And as far as cardio.. looks like im going to have to make it my goal to do an hour cardio a day if i dont do anything else Thanks so much for all your ideas ! i love the support this site provides:)
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    you have to really hit your obliques hard. They work like a girdle would on the body and pull everything tight when they are hit hard and begin to take shape. The abdominals are a type 2 muscle fiber...this means there heavy and lazy, you need to use heavier resistance or weight and lower reps...this is why doing 500 crunches at a time doesnt really do much but hurt your back. Do alot of isolation planks, or weighted crunches or great core workouts, i have tons if you would like some ideas. The best way to get defined abs and obliques is diet and hard and heavy ab workouts.... 4-5 sets 15 to 20 reps
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've found that walking (to start) and then jogging has really helped firm up the fat around my middle. Maybe a health practitioner can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my theory:

The connective tissue that holds the fat in place is slack and weak allowing the fat to jiggle more than we would like. Running and jogging (and other bouncy exercise) stimulates the body to reinforce the connective tissue so that it doesn't jiggle as much. I'm not nearly as floppy now as when I started running and I haven't lost that much weight and/or inches around the middle.
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    I have found that increasing the time I spend on the elliptical is doing the trick of flattening my belly. Also I've started consuming more dairy products which has really seemed to help as well.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    My friend and I are doing hip hop abs with sean T, wich is ab work and cardio, and it has been doing wonders for us. Look it up on line. And it's soooo fun to do.:tongue:

I totally agree with Hip Hop Abs. I do the total body burn alternating weeks with the Biggest Loser Cardio Max & my handles are gone. I'm working now on finding my abs....I think I left them somewhere about 30 years & 4 kids ago:blushing: