jillian michaels 30 day shred help

Options
just wondering how heavy the weights you guys use for this dvd are? just waiting for my dvd to arrive, and need to buy some weights this week :)

Replies

• jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Whatever you are comfortable with - I started with 3's and now use 5's sometimes. I am pretty weak in my upper body though.
  • justinelaaa
    Options
    oh ok thanks :) ive got a pretty weak upperbody too.. hoping this dvd will change that. did you get good results from this dvd?
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Being that I have very little upper body strength when I started the dvd, I picked 3lb weights, and even they killed me after some of the moves. So see what you're comfertable with. Remember that its about 9 mins of weights in that video.

As far as results, I lost 1.4lbs (i'm close to goal thats why not a lot of lbs) and 13 inches. Now I'm doing her ripped in 30 dvd, along with killer buns and thighs and 6 week 6 pack
  • fitmamafor2
    fitmamafor2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just started today and realized that I left my 2 lb weights at my mom so I used two canned veggies as substitute. It was still a rigorous workout.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it, it was the first exercise I'd done other than walking on the treadmill. I tried 5 lb weights the first day (all that I had) and then I was hurting so bad I had to take 3 days off. I started back using 1 and 3 lb weights for most things. By the time I finished the 30 days I was using my 3 and 5 lb weighs. Second round I worked up to using 5 and 8 (no more 3's).

When I moved on to Ripped in 30 I used anywhere from 5-15 lbs depending on the particular exercise.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You will have great results from this DVD! Just remember to take before / after pics and measurements.

My sister used canned veggies to start out with then moved to 3lb weights.

Don't quit before Level 2 because that's when the real magic (and tougher workouts) start.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I used three pounds for some moves and five for others. On level three, I used eight pounds for only one move. I'm probably finished with the three pound weights until I start my next dvd. Finished 30DS this past weekend and lost 12.75 inches and 6.4 pounds. :happy:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 lb weights and am now at 8 lb weights.
  • justinelaaa
    Options
    aww wow congrats on all your results :) hope i have the same success! and ooh i like the canned veg idea.. may try this to start with :) and oh yeh definitely need to remember before and after pics and measurements
  • justinelaaa
    Options
    ohh also, what kinds of foods were you guys eating while doing this dvd?
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake a day, make sure you meet your protein levels, either with food alone or also with a shake. Make sure to "eat clean" for opt results. Stay within calories, small def., veggies fruit, eggs, cheese, tuna, lean meats, yogurt. Track your sodium esp!!! Cause that can cause you to retain water. Also, the first three days are hard, the third day is the hardest. But stick it out through the whole 30 days, trust me. I also did cardio 1-2 times a week on top of the dvd.
  • reginapham2
    reginapham2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask this question. I started out with 5 pound weights and it's too heavy for me. I would just go for what's comfortable for you. If you feel that you are weaker, maybe start with 2-3 pounds. That's what I'm deciding to do! I think I pulled a muscle the wrong way because I now can't completely straighten my right arm. I learned my lesson!
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would start with 3s. If you are stronger in the upper body, use 5s. Have fun, I am on my 2nd round of the Shred on Level 2 Day 8 :happy:
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    MIne are 3lbs.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I started with 2 lb weights.. still tough!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I started with 3 lb and thought I would die. By the end of the second time, I was using 8 lb. :)

*I had also begun lifting heavy at the gym in between, so I credit that to helping me build both strength and endurance for the 8 lb. dumbbells.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 and moved to 5 by the end.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Honestly I didn't even use weights for the first couple days and let my body still work through the movements. I have poor circulation in my arms, and did not want to kill it! After a couple days, I will add weights back in.
  • SoliQ
    SoliQ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use 5lbs
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    OH WOW!!! Im about to start the program and I was going to buy some 10 lbs weights. Would I be making a mistake getting them?