your best non-gym workout!

Options
13»

Replies

• Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A skipping rope and strength conditioning (using your own body weight) at a playground. Google playground workouts.

HA! I wasn't going to go buy a pullup bar, but I certainly do have a playground down the street. Brilliant!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with packing resistance bands, run or jog where ever you can, if you're in a tall building or have access to stairs- run stairs, swim in the pool. I have done all those while out of town or on vacation. Find a park bench to do tricept dips and push-ups, if your looking for legs use the bench to do step ups on or reverse lunges from- yah, buns and thighs. That will work them for sure...
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    walking, running, squats, lunges, planks, side-planks, burpees, knee lifts, tri-cep dips, push-ups, jumping jacks, all of these are good also resistance bands are great..
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There's a decent 'hotel workout' on Nerd Fitness. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/
    It doesn't require any equipment that isn't already in the average hotel room. Actually, there are lots of workouts at this site. You can get plenty of ideas there.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Google Plyometrics.

You can use body weight or anything around you that can be held that has weight. It's great for explosive training. Most movements involves jumping or pushing. Since the moves are explosive the workouts are intense and effective.

Some ideas:

Squat jumps
    Push up with hand clap
    Split lunges (lunge, jump, alternate stance)
    Forward jump (like to a standing long jump, use whole body to generate distance)
    Quick sprints (Standing to full sprint over 20 metre distance)
    Burpees (previously mentioned)
    Jumping Jacks

Can also do:
    Push Up
    Pull Up (if you can find a bar or something to hang from, hit up a playground)
    Reverse push Up (Need a bar again)

If you can find a playground or a tree you can hang from, you can literally do anything.

Goodluck
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Stair running. Best workout ever.

sadly I won't have stairs. But keeping it in mind for things like hills, I imagine they have the same effect.
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't know what they are called but it is a sit-up variation that my mom's trainer had her doing.

At the gym I do this with an exercise ball, but at home I do it with whatever I can get my hands on. A balloon, empty box, small laundry basket, etc... The bigger your "ball" the more weight you are adding.

Start by laying flat on your back, legs straight, arms reached out above your head holding your "ball"
    Lift your arms and legs both towards the ceiling (folding yourself in half so you can touch your toes in the air) and pass the "ball" so you are holding it between your feet.
    Return to your starting position (flat on the floor, legs straight, arms above your head) but now your "ball" is between your feet.
    Repeat the move in reverse passing the "ball" back to your hands and laying back down with it above your head.

I usually do 25-30 (counting the move and the reverse as one) and I can do about 70 normal sit-ups. When I get up the next morning my abs, legs, and chest are all sore. :-)

I definitely want to try this one :)
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Megabot,
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Keeping busy/exercising helps.
    Take care. T
  • igoharder92
    Options
    bumping for later.
  • Jjsugar2001
    Jjsugar2001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping whilst watching a music channel.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Any form of crossfit (HIIT) workouts generally require no equipment and not much room, just a small towel is all you need.

This is pretty simple stuff, but a killer workout within 25 min.

There are 9 exercises that you repeat for 3 rounds. Each exercise you do for 30 seconds and then you rest for 15 seconds before moving on to the next exercise. There are no rests in between rounds just in between exercises for 15 seconds.

1. High knee jumps
    2. Towel situps (It may seem like nothing, but if done correctly with a tight towel it is a real killer!)
    3. burpees (full range of motion with a proper jump at the end. no lazy business)
    4. yoga plank glute raises
    5. mountain climbers
    6. leg lifts
    7. high knees
    8. air jacks
    9. toe touching crunches.

The trick to this workout is to make sure it is a HIIT (High intensity interval training) workout.
    This means you do a little maths....
    220 - (your age) = max heart rate. Now take 80-90% of your max heart rate and thats the level you want to maintain whilst doing this workout. So for me I am 20, so my max heart rate is 200 bpm. So I need to aim for 160-180 bpm whilst doing this workout to really get its worth.
    A easy way to tell is to simply stick your fingers on your cartoid artery on your neck during the 15 second rest and time how fast the beats are for 10s. Then times that number by 6. If its within your HIIT heart rate (so for me its between 160-180 bpm) range then good work, keep up that intensity and keep at it. If its below the range, then you need to up your intensity, push yourself harder cause your being lazy and you can do better than that!
    Generally when I do this workout with my speed and intensity my heart rate is 170-180 bpm which is good.

In case someone missed this. TRUST :D
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    does sex count lol

hahah I WISH!

I think Burpees are the best exercise you can do outside the gym, whole body work out, killer to do, little space needed. A few circuits of Burpees, squats, push ups, situps you will be fine

Added to my list! Perfect, thank you :)

You say thanks now, do them in Tabata and you won;t be thanking me, enjoy. lol
  • laurazj73
    laurazj73 Posts: 12
    Options
    The "On Demand" section on my cable package (Comcast) has a boat-load of free exercise videos. So far, my favorites are the martial arts workout and the Bollywood dance workout (kind of like a belly-dance thing.... so much fun!!!).

I'm having fun exploring all the different options on there to keep changing things up.
  • gizziemonkey
    Options
    I agree with what people are posting....if you don't have a TV and are looking for simple things to do....what I have at home are:

Kettlebell.....resistance bands......jump snaps (jumprope that tracks cal/counts)....stability ball. You can find numerous activities/exercises to do with these items online.

Never discount housework/yardwork
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump for the great ideas.