Calories burned??

Options
I am just wondering--- how do you log in and get the "exact" calories burned for videos like the Shred, etc?? I have been logging it in as "Circuit Training" and 20 minutes??? Not sure if that is accurate.

Replies

• haylee1981
    haylee1981 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I log it x
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I think it is almost impossible, well, more like extremelly time consuming, to know your exact burn from a video like that since our body will all burn at a different rate. I do exactly what you do when I make it through an insanity video- circut training. Curios if anyone else has a better answer!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor would be the most accurate way to tell. The people who don't have one log it as circuit training, so I think it gives a pretty good estimate.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I log it that way as well
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor would be the most accurate way to tell. The people who don't have one log it as circuit training, so I think it gives a pretty good estimate.

I used my heart rate monitor a few times and it was giving me the same #s as logging 20 mins of circuit training, so I forgo the heart rate monitor now :)
  • RebeccainMI
    RebeccainMI Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM, especially with stuff like Insanity. I'm also the type of person to wear my HRM at the gym too though.
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also agree with OPs...heart rate monitor is most accurate way. Otherwise, I used to log it as circuit training when I didn't have an HRM
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    I am with other people on this as well....get a heart rate monitor....
  • Crazyasian1
    Options
    Gotta agree with the rest here, heart rate monitor is the way to go. I have the Nike+iPod sensor on my running shoes and it gives me great feedback for time/dist/cal burned during a run. I found that it's (obviously) not so accurate for things like P90X and Insanity. I know I'm burning some serious calories cuz I'm sweating my butt off, but the Nike sensor only records foot strikes.

Went to the local sports store and got myself a $35 sportline heart rate monitor to use during exercising other than runs. Glad to see that my Nike+ sensor is usually w/i 30 points of the HRM.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are not the most accurate way to go, but they will suffice for most people I suppose. I have a BodyMedia Fit Link which is considered the most accurate calorie burn monitor for at home use (the type of technology it uses, that is) but I guess it depends on how you want to measure it.

HRMs are still based on "average" algorithms, so I don't trust them in the same way as my device that measures my personal statistics.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are not the most accurate way to go, but they will suffice for most people I suppose. I have a BodyMedia Fit Link which is considered the most accurate calorie burn monitor for at home use (the type of technology it uses, that is) but I guess it depends on how you want to measure it.

HRMs are still based on "average" algorithms, so I don't trust them in the same way as my device that measures my personal statistics.

My heart rate monitor asks for my personal stats. Why would this not be accurate?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

My heart rate monitor asks for my personal stats. Why would this not be accurate?

It still is going to use an algorithm to measure the calorie burn. The BMF measures sweat, conductivity, heat expenditure, and exertion... HRMs will just take the heart rate times average calories for your size, which isn't necessarily as accurate as people would like to think. Even if it does give you the ability to get your RHR measured (most don't though, they only calculate the average for your age and size and base your target range off of that) it doesn't necessarily account for difference of burns doing various tasks.

If a person is healthy and has a lower heart rate naturally, it doesn't necessarily account for this or show the right level of exercise. Plus, for me, I have a triple heart beat that is generally registered at 30+bpm over what it actually is, so if you have something like that going on, it's going to show a higher burn than is accurate.

I went with the monitor I did because of clinical testing and the technology behind it.