Losing Inches not weight

Options
I have been eating healthier since January, eating 5-6 mini meals per day minimum 1850 calories up to 2500. I started working out in Feb 6 days a week for an hour, been sticking with mainly elliptical for now. My workouts are pretty intense for me. I have lost some weight but not much, I have lost inches as I have went down a size in jeans and two shirt sizes. My problem is I have a LOT of weight to lose, around 75 lbs. I would think I should be losing weight more than inches to begin with. Has anyone else gone through this that had a lot of weight to lose? I love how I feel and I am getting healthier just curious...

Thanks!

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that if you're losing inches but not weight, you're building muscle. Which is good. I'd say stick with it, weight will come off, and muscles help with that!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make an informed response without knowing what your TDEE is or seeing your food / exercise diary. Do you know what your BMR is? You can click the Tools tab on fitnesspal to calculate it (based on your height, weight, age and gender). Aside from your elliptical workouts, how much physical activity do you perform in your average day (what kind of work do you do, etc)?

Losing fat is the goal, and your lost inches are evidence of that. How much you actually weigh isn't all that important, if you're working toward the physique you want.
  • RopinC
    RopinC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1850, and I don't know what a TDEE is sorry. Some days outside of my workouts I have moderate activity and others I have none. I have a desk/driving job so during work there is no real activity.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1850, and I don't know what a TDEE is sorry. Some days outside of my workouts I have moderate activity and others I have none. I have a desk/driving job so during work there is no real activity.

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure, if I remember right. Whatever the acronym is, it's the amount of calories you burn in a day from all sources, including BMR, digesting food, walking, driving, working out, whatever. For a desk job, you typically want to choose the "sedentary" activity level, which would give you a base TDEE assumption of around 2300 calories (before you figure in what you've burned from your cardio workouts).

It sounds like you're eating just about the perfect amount, depending on how many calories you're burning on the elliptical.
  • RopinC
    RopinC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! The TDEE calculator says I should be at 2224 so maybe I am a little low. Hmmm, more food what shall I do. lol Actually, it takes me a little bit to add in calories as I have to do it a little at a time so I add the right foods. Otherwise I will be like yea a piece of cake a day meets my calories! lol