Advocare 24 day challenge - Vegetarian help

Options
I'm on day 6 of the cleanse and I'm doing pretty well with clean eating. I'm actually quite enjoying it. My only issue is that I feel like I'm not getting the amount of protein that I need in. Part of this is a lack of skill in the kitchen. The other is that I want to start lifting and I feel like I really need to get my protein up for that.

Are any other vegetarians doing this? I would love a buddy to help me through. My rep isn't much help when it comes to this department and is new to advocare and clean eating herself.

I'll take non-veg buddies, too. I could just really use some extra veg help. :)

Replies

• sailorswife02
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm only on day 2 of the 24 day challenge but I'm a Vegetarian also and I'd love to have someone to talk to about this kinda stuff. My rep isn't too much of a help either, I've basically been told to eat lots of nuts and beans. I'm also thinking tons of spinach because it has a ton of protein in it when it's raw. I'll admit I haven't stopped eating my pre-workout meal of yogurt and granola but my rep said that should be fine, I've just decreased the size of the snack.
    Looking forward to this journey to get healthier!!
  • llgsmg
    llgsmg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of the challenge--I'm looking forward to getting through it and seeing results! I'm a meat eater, but I haven't had the appetite for much meat here lately. Mostly a few plain chicken breasts or fish. I've been munching on freeze dried blueberries--I just discovered them and I'm hooked.

Btw, I LOVE your profile pic--I LOVE my vibrams! I get funny looks from everyone until I convince them to try them. They're awesome!
  • jourelemode
    Options
    get those dark greens in, they're high in protein...I think collards are the highest? Easy way to get those greens in though is to make a green smoothie.

go buy some raw/vegan protein, the best out there is sun warrior

as for your nuts and seeds, do you best to get raw and organic ones, sprout them so they become more bioavailable and non-toxic. When you sprout them they are live and the carbs convert to more protein which is awesome.

buy yourself some buckwheat, sprout those too and make a cereal out of it, its the bomb! add your favorite fruits and nuts, whatever you like. Buckwheat is super high in protein! check out nuts.com for the best raw/organic goodies

You can mix up your protein powder supplements too! Sun warrior makes two version; a brown rice protein, and a sprouted protein. you should also pick up some hemp protein by nutiva. Oh and get some hemp seeds, those are bomb too! high in protein and high in awesome fats!
  • sm42484
    sm42484 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi--I lost about 20 lbs during my 24 day challenge, and an additional 10 just eating properly/exercising without the supplements. I've just begun another 10 day cleanse phase since its been three months since my last.

Some meat substitutions I like are from the Quorn brand. These aren't vegan, but they have crumbles, "chicken" cutlets, and cubes that were easy for me to thaw, toss in some recipes and have quickly. For instance, a chicken cutlet has only 80 cals and 11g protein. I would heat them up and toss them in wing sauce, or shred them into a vegetable soup. I would use the crumbles in soups and fillings ( this is one our favorite recipes..make adjustments where needed to fit the plan--no cheese! http://www.slenderkitchen.com/tex-mex-stuffed-zucchini/#).

I also eat a vegan grain meat from the Field Roast brand. They make sausages, loaves, and recently came out with burgers. The downside to this is that you should be scrupulous with your sodium intake as these products can be high. Drinking all that water will help, as will all of the fresh veggies and fruits you'll be consuming.

I also went through a ton of hard boiled eggs and ate eggs sometimes for breakfast and dinner...luckily I like eggs a lot, but some people may not.

Lastly, I use the Vanilla-Chai Raw Protein brand powder that I substituted for the meal replacement shakes. I'm sensitive to soy and wanted to avoid it at all costs. I made a shake most mornings with a blend of almond/coconut milk, protein powder, serving of fruit, a sprinkle of cinnamon and splenda, and a handful of greens. It's chalky and gritty, but with the add ins I was able to handle it.

All of the companies have recipes on their site using their products, it's a great place to start when looking for some ideas. Hope all of that helps!