why is it when I tell people I still want to lose

Options
another 50 pounds they all have the same reaction ? I get " you will waste away" or " you dont have that much left to lose", or "you will disappear if you lose that much more"
But HELLO I WONT! That will bring me to 145, are they crazy? so why do I get that? anyone else get it from people they know? Is it cause they knew us when we were bigger and they cant see us as a smaller person? :noway:

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It means you look very good to their eyes. :smile:

It means they want to give you a compliment that is very meaningful. And I'm sure that people don't understand what a pound of lost fat looks like on a person. I can't say that I do really - when it's spread out over your entire body.

So it's a good thing when they say that. They are honestly trying to celebrate what you've already accomplished.

Edited: And I just looked at your profile! WOW you have done amazing things. :)
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I"m not sure of the answer to that, I just wanted to congratulate you on your 120 lb loss! Way to go!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It's just folks paying a compliment about how you look now. They think you look fine the way you are. It could be worse, they could be saying, "oh, 50? Yeah, I could see you losing another 50." That would SUCK! :tongue:
  • genma1987
    genma1987 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    people used to tell me things like that continuously. After awhile, they started to convince me that I was too thin. (5' 6'' at 140lb). So I stupidly put some weight back on purposefully.....STUPID, STUPID! I looked and felt so much better at 140, now I'm 150, feel FAT, and can't seem to lose the weight again. I don't know what makes people say such stupid things like "you're too skinny" or "you'll waste away!" My goal is 130. I'm not going to listen to silly people anymore who think it's there job to tell me what I should/shouldn't do about my weight.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    It's just folks paying a compliment about how you look now. They think you look fine the way you are. It could be worse, they could be saying, "oh, 50? Yeah, I could see you losing another 50." That would SUCK! :tongue:

LOL, yeah that would suck !
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    i think some people might actually think you look good where you are, but I also think that some people that say it do so because they are subconciously afraid that when you are done you will look and feel better than they do... and that makes them not really want you to do it... sad, but i have found this is true in alot of cases.
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I think part of it is they have no clue what weight looks like. I had people extremely surprised when I told them I weighed 300lbs at my heaviest. It is really hard for someone to comprehend the size and weight relationship. Don't let it discourage you!

You look Awesome and congratulations on losing 120lbs!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    It means you look very good to their eyes. :smile:

It means they want to give you a compliment that is very meaningful. And I'm sure that people don't understand what a pound of lost fat looks like on a person. I can't say that I do really - when it's spread out over your entire body.

So it's a good thing when they say that. They are honestly trying to celebrate what you've already accomplished.

Edited: And I just looked at your profile! WOW you have done amazing things. :)

thank you!:blushing:

I had one girl say, " thats what I weigh" my goal weight... and thought, yeah, and I would love to look like you! lol
    I do wonder if its just that they dont know what 50 pounds of fat looks like...
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Not sure...but congrats on your weight loss. ignore the comments and do what makes you happy and feel good.
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    I think part of it is they have no clue what weight looks like. I had people extremely surprised when I told them I weighed 300lbs at my heaviest. It is really hard for someone to comprehend the size and weight relationship. Don't let it discourage you!

You look Awesome and congratulations on losing 120lbs!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thank you! congrats to you too!!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    but I also think that some people that say it do so because they are subconciously afraid that when you are done you will look and feel better than they do... and that makes them not really want you to do it... sad, but i have found this is true in alot of cases.

I agree. My co-workers are all over weight & they allt hink I should stop losing b/c I'm getting too thin, my face is getting too thin. W/E, I know what I want, I know my doc knows what I need so I'll keep on until he has an issue with it.

120 is AMAZING. :drinker: Big congrats!!!
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with everyone here... about people trying to be kind and thats their way of saying how great you look now! Plus Ocean_91 made a really great point, its hard for people to get their head around a number... people will understand once they seen you at your goal weight! Good luck!
  • Sherry79
    Sherry79 Posts: 74
    Options
    I think with some it's a sincere compliment but with others it may be a little bit of jealousy. When I had lost a lot of weight a few years back (which I have since re-gained plus some!) the same people that made snide remarks about my being overweight (without coming straight out and saying it) were the same ones that once I started losing weight but wasn't even close to my goal weight were telling me if I didn't stop I was going to be anorexic!! (and believe me I'm 5'1 and my goal weight was & still is 130 lbs. By "charts" that's still fat. . .I was far from being anorexic!!) And the people who would make these comments were mainly my husband's family that don't seem to like me very well. So I would just take it all with a grain of salt . . just consider the source. But most of them are probably just giving you a very sincere (and well deserved!!!) compliment. BTW, Awesome job!! You're such an inspiration to me!!!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Like others said it's the number thing. Plus you look happy and healthy and fit. Sometimes they fear you may go too far.

You have done an awesome job. You are such an inspiration for those of us who have been to 300 land:flowerforyou:
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    thanks you guys,I think its a bit of both as well. Thanks for all the sweet things you have said!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I get the the same thing- I say I want to drop another 20lbs and they say ewwww but guess what I know I still have chunk on me. And to be honest I don't give a damn what others think If I want to drop the weight I will- I just learned to not discuss my weight goals with everyone-

I am constantly told I workout too much- (no they are just lazy)
    I am told go ahead and have some- (no I have will power I don't eat for comfort)
    Just take a bite- (no that bite isn't worth it to me)
    You don't need to lose more weight ( I see myself naked you don't)
    Don't get bulky ( in the months I have been hitting the gym I haven't gotten bulky I have gotten lean)

The point I am trying to make is people have a comment for everything.- Screw them all if you want to lose another 50 go for it.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I hear the same thing all the time too! People say that if I lost another 20lbs I'd be too skinny. I was there before and I liked the way I looked!!
    Congrats on the 120lb weight loss!!!! And good luck with the last 50!!!! I'm sure you will look amazing!!!! :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There could be a few reasons why people would say something like that- they're trying to be supportive and make you feel good, they're jealous and don't want you to look better than they do, they're just talking to hear themselves speak. For the most part, take it with a grain of salt.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I agree w/everyone that it's probably meant to be a compliment! But understand how you feel as well. Other people see how you look clothed AND I'll bet you exude a greater air of confidence in yourself & your new body than you used to in your old body! Whereas you see yourself, see the areas you'd like to improve, & know that you can get where you want to be. After all, what's another 50lbs when you've already lost 120lbs...BTW-Congrats on your current loss. You look fabulous!

So next time someone says something like that to you, smile & say Thanks for your thoughts, but I enjoy exercising & plan to do it for the rest of my life & if I end up being 130lbs so be it :))
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I've had people tell me that I'm wasting away and getting too skinny. some even practically shake their fingers at me and say "don't lose any more weight"

I've learned to just smile and let them say whatever they want. If they ask if I'm still losing weight, I lie and tell them no.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: