Tips for Mud Runs

Options
mstaser
mstaser Posts: 657 Member
With the explosion of Mud Run races all over now, a lot of us are taking the step in trying one out. I am going to do a Warrior Dash in June and would like to hear from the ones that have done any of these types of races before. There's Spartan, Tough Mudder, Run For Your Lives, Warrior Dash and a few more that are going on everywhere. What did you do to train for that event and what tips do you have for the actual event.

Replies

• mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done these before?
  • BMcLeodTeam
    BMcLeodTeam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Tough Mudder next year (date conflicts this year) and so starting to train now. Would love to hear people's tips and tricks :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The ad on the side of this topic was for a mud run. I thought it was ironic.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    bumping-2 weeks to go for mine!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I want to know also...I am doing the Rugged Maniac in one month. My biggest problem is...I am not a runner...Im working on it though. A friend of mine is doing the Spartan race and they have a training program on their website ( I think thats what she said). Last week they did 10 burpees..then 1/4 mile, then 11 burpees and another 1/4 mile, then 12 burpees..etc until you can't do any more.
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Run last year and did not really train for it. It was hard, but fun and the other runners/warriors motivated me throughout the race. I then signed up for another run with some girlfriends and we decided it would be funny to run in dresses as runaway bridesmaids :) I did train a little more for that just by working out on my treadmill a little and starting to do some P90X and Jillian tapes intermixed, but nothing hard core. I am doing another mud run in June and again, just working out on my treadmill and doing some Jillian tapes. It is really fun and great people to help motivate you throughout the course. Have fun!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am doing 2 mud runs..should be exciting..I think the only training may be to get your stamina up...but I could be wrong
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Did the Warrior Dash in January. I was doing P90X at the time and that helped with the obstacles and then added some running before hand. If you can, try to get some practice runs on dirt and sand as it's different from asphalt. After doing the Warrior Dash, I did Insanity and think that might've helped with leg strength. Running through mud is tough. Plyometric exercises help. Otherwise, just have fun with it.

I'm thinking about a Tough Mudder at the end of the year but it's four times as long as a Warrior Dash. For a Warrior Dash, if you can run a 5k, you'll be fine.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Mud, Sweat and Tears 5 mile course at Camp Lejeune, NC on May 12th. It's the first "mud run" at Lejeune hosted by the Marine Corps. I'm just doing lots of interval runs off pavement for training outside of my regular workout schedule. This is my first so should be fun!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I did Warrior Dash last year, and will actually being doing it again this Saturday!
    Honestly I was just running every now and then, and not doing any crosstraining and I got through the course pretty easily. I am anxious to see how I do this year since I have been working out more. It is so much fun, and the other runners are motivating. Running some will definitely help I'm sure!
    I will be doing the Tough Mudder in Austin this year, that one I plan on training like a beast for....it looks rough. I can't wait!!!!

Good luck with Warrior Dash, I'm sure you will pull it off no problem :)
  • brandonjamesdorris
    Options
    Being able to complete the obstacles you will need to work on pull-ups and other upper body strengthening. Then the rest is being able to run the course. If the course is 3 or 4 miles, you will want to be able to run 6 or 8 miles minimum if you want to run the entirety of it (the mud will cause it to be much worse than regular running). I would suggest running with a team so you can work on the obstacles together. I did tough mudder last weekend and Warrior dash and Swampfoot last year.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Hero Rush in June. The site recommends wearing shoes that you won't mind ruining. I'm focusing on upper body and running longer distances.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Being able to complete the obstacles you will need to work on pull-ups and other upper body strengthening. Then the rest is being able to run the course. If the course is 3 or 4 miles, you will want to be able to run 6 or 8 miles minimum if you want to run the entirety of it (the mud will cause it to be much worse than regular running). I would suggest running with a team so you can work on the obstacles together. I did tough mudder last weekend and Warrior dash and Swampfoot last year.
    Pullups are not my forte, but haven't tried them in a while. This should be interesting! :drinker: