Suggestions for achy joints

Options
:flowerforyou:

My goal is to lose about 40 more pounds and I'm realistic about how long it may take. I'm only hoping for a pound every week or so -- nothing drastic. Anyway, I've been walking on the treadmill daily (at least 35 minutes each day for the last few months) and walking my dogs (at least 45 minutes several evenings a week). I've got great new sneakers and padded socks. The problem is the joints in my ankles and knees are weak and achey. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to strengthen my lower leg muscles?

I also changed my diet -- gave up butter a year ago, and recently gave up meat. My cholesterol is just too high and I refuse to take medication.

PS -- I really don't want to take any pills.

Replies

• keithelston
    Options
    I have several ankle and knees issues from being in the military for 21 years. Retired now, and paying for the crazy things I did as a younger man when it comes to my ankles and knees lol. Anyway, there are a couple things you can do which may help diminish some of the pain. If you use a heat pad or something like it before exercising, it'll help the blood flow to those joint areas. Then ice down afterwards to stop any post-exercise inflammation. The best thing I have found though is the Osteo-Bi Flex tablets. I know you wrote you don't want to take pills, but they really did help with my joint discomfort. Also, make sure you are flexing your ankles and knees before before exercising. That helps the joints, just like stretching helps loosen up muscles.
  • Susan1548
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. My husband just had his second knee surgery and I definitely don't want to have to go that route myself.