Spin Class....Calories burned?

Options
Hey Friends,

I tried looking up spin class/cycling on the excercise database but it has stationary bike and then each leval of fitness. The problem with spin class is you do more interval training. For me, I sweat and my heart pounds the entire time. But I still can't consider this to be Very moderate the entire hour long class. So do you go in and add so many minutes for each bicycling stationary bike leval OR.....

Can anyone take an educated guess on what a 140lb woman would burn in an hour of a spin class? Anyone with a body bug?????Any ideas...

Thanks so much for reading!
New to this,
Boxergirl2008 (like the dog, not the sport)

Replies

• boxergirl2008
    Options
    Hey Friends,

I tried looking up spin class/cycling on the excercise database but it has stationary bike and then each leval of fitness. The problem with spin class is you do more interval training. For me, I sweat and my heart pounds the entire time. But I still can't consider this to be Very moderate the entire hour long class. So do you go in and add so many minutes for each bicycling stationary bike leval OR.....

Can anyone take an educated guess on what a 140lb woman would burn in an hour of a spin class? Anyone with a body bug?????Any ideas...

Thanks so much for reading!
    New to this,
    Boxergirl2008 (like the dog, not the sport)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I pick bicycling then estimate the effort (it goes all the way from casual to very vigorous on mfp). A spin teacher told me between 400-600 calories/hour.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This 138 lb woman burned 650 in an hour, but a hrm would be the only way to know for sure.
  • boxergirl2008
    Options
    thanks for the help! I know my heart hasn't stopped pounding since I started and it doesn't compare to jogging!
  • boxergirl2008
    Options
    thanks for the help! I know my heart hasn't stopped pounding since I started and it doesn't compare to jogging!
  • debbz40
    debbz40 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love spinning class! Don't get to go as often as I like tho since I work in the mornings.
    At the YMCA, they have a fitlinxx program that helps keep track of calories burned and so forth. At 220 pounds, I burned 988 calories in 45 minutes. I remember I nearly passed out at the end of my very first class. Since then, I keep up pretty well.
    Deb