Ideas Please?

Options
I am hosting a Bible Study at my house tonight. I have about 30 minutes to prepare appetizers. I have to stop at the grocery store on my way home to pick some things up. The problem is I have no idea what to serve. I have Chex Mix at home (high fat and sodium), I have carrots, I have WINE! What are some different ideas that are fairly healthy I can serve so I'm not over in calories? Anyone? Anyone?

Replies

• mmathedrader
    mmathedrader Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salsa and baked chips?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Some healthy sandwiches, cut in smaller triangles.
    You can use wheat bread, add tomato, lettuce, low fat low sodium ham, etc
  • meljusl
    meljusl Posts: 8
    Options
    Hummus with your veggies...fruit salad....
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Most stores have premade veggie trays and fruit trays so those are always good options. Also hummus is a good dip option for the veggies as well as pita chips.
  • plainjane23
    Options
    Try Humus by Sabra... relatively cheap, goes great with carrots/other veggies, VERY low calorie!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Special K cracker chips are very very good and you can eat about 27 of them and it will only be 110 calories for the sour cream and onion flavored ones. or serve some sliced fruits and veggies like apples and carrots, you can make a homemade dip using plain greek yougurt and adding a package of dry onion mix in it and it is low calorie dip and delicious
  • lms333
    lms333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fat free Greek Yogurt with Ranch or Fiesta Ranch for the dip as one normally would with sour cream and a variety of vegetables. Baby Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Bell Peppers, etc.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hummus & veggie & pita chips. A fruit platter from grocery store. A bowl of sugar free hard candies? Um.
    Special K cracker chips (soooooo yummy). Ooooh, a new recipe a friend swears by (she's made them for 3 different functions in the past week, and they're always gone pretty quick): 8oz of low-fat cream cheese mixed with 1 tbsp vanilla and 4 tsp confectioner's sugar. Then pipe it into hollowed out strawberries & sprinkle tops with crushed graham crackers. It's like reverse healthy-ish cheesecake.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A second for the veggie tray with hummus... Another idea for a dip is to mix salsa with lite or fat-free cream cheese.
    Also you can spread cream cheese on a tortilla shell and wrap up a sliced cucumber (or tuna salad) in it, roll it up and slice it into little pinwheels.
    Crackers and hummus.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :smile: fruit tray, fancy cheese(to go with the wine), and smoked salmon, hummus and crackers
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hummus & veggie & pita chips. A fruit platter from grocery store. A bowl of sugar free hard candies? Um.
    Special K cracker chips (soooooo yummy). Ooooh, a new recipe a friend swears by (she's made them for 3 different functions in the past week, and they're always gone pretty quick): 8oz of low-fat cream cheese mixed with 1 tbsp vanilla and 4 tsp confectioner's sugar. Then pipe it into hollowed out strawberries & sprinkle tops with crushed graham crackers. It's like reverse healthy-ish cheesecake.

This sounds amazing and I will definitely have to try it when I have more time!!
  • Carrot1971
    Options
    Looks like Humus is the winner! Thanks everyone!!
  • Mpwulff
    Mpwulff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lowfat blue cheese dressing mixed with hot sauce and celery sticks! Buffalo wing taste without all the fattening chicken skin! :)
  • kermie019
    kermie019 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tried a great tip from another forum for ranch dip. Mix the powdered ranch dip with greek yogurt for a nice dip. You could also buy a one of the rotisserie chickens (remove the skin and break up the meat) and mini-rolls for mini-sandwiches. Also frozen small shrimp and cocktail sauce.
  • Carrot1971
    Options
    Ok, so I have to tell you guys I ended up making the strawberries. OMGosh they were delicious!! And I got the best compliments on the "presentation". And lowfat to boot!! Thank you for the idea!!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yesssss!!! **fist pump**
    I'm so glad they came out so delicious! :)
  • Moosiklaydy
    Options
    hummus and veggies!!!!! yum!!!